Archetype's Pro7 Mazda RX-7 race car

Archetype

That car above would be a really good buy for anyone wanting to get into Pro7s. It may have been cheaper and easier for me to buy that, rather than building my own.
It may appear that way, but don't beat yourself up over it. People that I've seen who have bought someone else's race car have always found a seemingly endless trail of costly problems. Much like building your own car I guess, but at least its your own car. If it was $10k with a factory 13B minus T it would be worth it, but not as is I reckon, as it puts you out of the class in 2013 and possibly even 2012.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That car above would be a really good buy for anyone wanting to get into Pro7s. It may have been cheaper and easier for me to buy that, rather than building my own.
It may appear that way, but don't beat yourself up over it. People that I've seen who have bought someone else's race car have always found a seemingly endless trail of costly problems. Much like building your own car I guess, but at least its your own car. If it was $10k with a factory 13B minus T it would be worth it, but not as is I reckon, as it puts you out of the class in 2013 and possibly even 2012.

That's true. At least I know the build history of my car, and there are no areas of the car that will cause any problems due to shoddy workmanship. So far the car has worked out exactly how I wanted it, other than a little problem with the roll cage.

cool build. if the power plant frame is different from manual to auto i have one sitting in the garage collecting dust you could have

joe

Thanks Joe. The PPF is the same, and it's all sorted now. From memory, the only thing I needed to modify during the auto to manual conversion was the flange on the diff housing.

I see plenty of vans like mine being used for race car tow vehicles at Hampton Downs, etc (and at the Maramarua Rally yesterday). The Lawtons have been using their Super Custom to tow their drag car from Paraparaumu to Meremere for years too. I've been towing the car to a few places lately and it handles it really well. Being a Super Custom, it would have a bit more weight to it compared to an empty commercial van.

I've taken all the wiring out of the car and I'm re-doing the whole lot, so there should be a bit of room with the new loom. The total mass of the factory loom is huge! :shock:
Did you manage to find someone in Hamilton to do the re-wiring? I noticed you chuck a post up in spam but don't follow enough to see whether anyone replied. Might be worth chucking a thread up if you haven't already.

I'm sure there have been a couple of guys from Auckland advertising similar services over the last year or two. They probably travel for the right money.

I'm keen to do my car at some stage. I imagine a stripped out race loom with base functions would sell quite well. I've hunted for something like that but was surprised to turn up no results. Is there such a thing? Just for the vehicle body I mean, not engine loom.

Im sure a guy used to strip and return looms on trademe for few hundy odd bucks to eliminate all the mod comms not required from loom for racecars.
Yeah I've done this already. Taken heaps out but I'm still left with a stupid German wiring loom and crappy old wires. Would be cool to just chuck something new in there with a more simple layout. Again, I could do that myself but buying all the different coloured wires adds up for only 1 car and it would take me ages to get my head around the wiring diagram and the process of doing it.