Ed bought... and sold... another bloody AW11 (it's now Millhouse's)

0R10N

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Happy to report that the last six months of AW11 motoring have been relatively trouble-free, apart from needing to change a front right wheel bearing/hub carrier for a WOF. This car has just ticked over 242,000km and really exemplifies the meaning of "reliable daily driver" :)

anyway, over the holiday break I decided to get productive and swap over the black interior that's been lurking in the depths of my shed for over a year. This entailed gutting the whole cabin on what seemed like the hottest two days of summer so far, and then spending another two days of re-assembly. The results were worth it in the end though!

With the black interior I guarantee the cabin temperature will be a thousand times worse while sitting in the sun, so I should probably re-gas the A/C like I said I was gonna...

Ugly tacky smurf/electric blue, begone!

5991716871_ce9a387aec_z.jpg

Hello low-key black goodness.

8341865006_47db18c170_z.jpg

The difference between black and blue...

8340805607_d6e43f58f0_z.jpg

In a strange aesthetic mismatch on Toyota's part, the fabric pattern of the '89 spec seats doesn't match the door cards - I assume this is because they are manual-winder as opposed to the more prevalent electric type.

8340806523_a7e61190f5_z.jpg

and to finish, another view of the cockpit. What a difference black makes! And no, I still haven't painted those wing mirrors. Or the rear spoiler, or the wheels, for that matter :doubt:

8341865948_4d028c4e65_z.jpg

Save for a few little odds and ends (which remain blue) the conversion is 99% complete. I'm hoping to be able to slowly collect the missing bits from trademe, or even trawl pick a part for the more "generic" '80s Toyota stuff like door handle surrounds.

Better yet, is anyone wrecking a hardtop AW11 with black interior?

Got the air conditioning re-gassed yesterday by Kevin from Alert Auto Air (recommended by Dave/sheepers), turns out the system just needed a bit of R-12 and some mineral oil and it came right pretty much straightaway.

Was amazed that you can still get R-12 actually.

Looking really awesome man. Respect for the interior change. I've just picked up a black dash for my Starion, but it's a job that will be very very very far down the list.

yeah, it was a bit of a gargantuan task but I got it all sorted in the end. Removing/refitting the dash on an AW11 is actually nowhere near as headache-inducing as, say, a BFMR Familia or a Skyline (or a Starion I'd imagine...)

Doorcards exist:

Good luck in finding however :)

Yeah, I ain't holding my breath :(

Yup, but it can only be used if the existing R-12 system is not completely depleted.

Gave the car its first wash in nearly a year yesterday - proof that even the scruffiest cars can look relatively tidy from a minimum of two metres away.

8372254118_c75e013abd_z.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm, will enquire around here...A/C still works in the Levin, just not very well. Would be awesome to have it working properly

try http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/other-accessories/auction-550885446.htm ive braught some stuff of him before he said he could do my e30's maybe hes worth a go seemed like a gc

• 1 year later...

I purchased this car off Ed. Have been busy tidying it up & fixing/replacing parts.

I've owned it for around 3mths. So far have-

Changed oil & filter

Replaced spark plugs

Replaced fuel filter

Distributor O-Ring kit (was leaking oil)

Bled & adjusted clutch freeplay

Replaced rear brake pads & greased brake pistons (were seized)

Painted rear spoiler & wing mirrors to match car

Polished, buffed, waxed, polished again!

Touched up a few chips/blemishes

Replaced missing centre caps on MR-S wheels

Replaced missing stereo bracket, and fitted front speakers & stereo

Replaced gear boot & gear knob

Replaced failed number plate bulb

Replaced rusted windscreen wipers & painted arms

Repainted A-Pillars black

Replaced missing badge on bonnet

Replaced rear bumper (old one was pushed in)

Still to be done-

Coolant flush

Check belt tensions (are squeeling)

Replace clutch (slipping)

Replace broken drivers side window regulator (winder snapped off spline)

Repaint front bumper & valance

Larger pulley for supercharger

Photos to follow!

• Like 1

Awesome work Jamie :D Hope you don't mind me editing the thread topic to reflect the updated ownership.

Sounds like you're finally giving it the birthday it deserves.

I really do miss the old wedge, keen to see photos of what it looks like now!

• 5 months later...

Newly repainted front bumper & valance. Starting to come together nicely now ....

Have spent 30 mins trying to work out how to post images. I give up! I paste the image & can see it, but when I hit save, it's not there.

What are you using to share the images? I use photobucket, then copy and paste the tags into my posts.

• 7 months later...

Ultimate thread necro... I hope Millhouse doesn't mind me posting these photos I took of the AW11 nearly 18 months ago, just before he took ownership of it.

I'd borrowed a Nikon D7000 to experiment with for a week or so, and forgot I'd even taken them - until the camera's owner contacted me the other day to say she'd discovered them on one of her old memory cards.

Had also forgotten how good AW11s look rolling on ZZW30 rims. This is getting me mildly moist for the new one.

17826335296_dc75fc185d_b.jpg

17852693955_f1c3eff67b_b.jpg

17665140550_58652fdea1_b.jpg

17230161714_14a93b83b9_b.jpg

17852685375_daf7606494_b.jpg