Tortrons commer truck of win

Testament

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very gnarly,i love that truck, theres one here on the coast sitting on the side of the road in not too bad condition if you ever need to hit some old dude up for parts...

bloody bitchin...go for chrome smoke stacks please

Plans are:

keep her tidy

Drive every day

If the engine doesnt want to play anymore (from what i can work out it is the original - i have 5 note books full of history, thoughts and tips) possible diesel conversion, as i have a nice list of things that "should" fit with little hassle. Or if i found a 6 cylinder model i would like the lump from that.

However, these chrome bore flatheads were built to last forever, and this one seems to be doing just that.

I came away with a tray load of parts. All are cleaned, identified, and general condition noted.

Have put the wooden side boards on (also have a set of hungry boards/stock boards as this truck started as a farm truck, then as a hedge trimmers truck) and put the visor back on.

Work wise shes pretty much 'done', the only things of note are to replace a line from an oiler to the clutch bearing and the left rear hub will need a speedy sleeve, but only just. Possibly skim the spare head i have to make up for using todays gas (interestingly its noted in the history that this occured right when the good old stuff was phased out).

It would also be nice to find a wellside for this, but the chances of that are slim to none.

Really i love it for what it is, its slow, old and requires alot of unusual by todays standards upkeep - turned your greaser for the water pump lately?, how about primed the carb with a manual pump in the mornings?

had a bit of a fiddle today and ordered some oldtime braided rubber hose for the clutch.

Has been starting first pop every time (now that i have the knack) and running like a dream.

There is a choke and throttle control inside the cab, so you can set and forget while she warms up. Not to mention fully equipped with automatic spark adjustment, so no further driver input is required, other than a full tank of gas. The joys of modern motoring.

The kingpins were actually replaced not very many miles ago, as with pretty much everything else suspension related

• 2 weeks later...

Epoxied, crimped, and re-epoxied the damaged tubes.

have it sitting full of water right now, so will check in the morning for any dampness. Will also take my extremely good condition spare to the radiator man for testing (im told theres a pin hole somewhere in it, which is why it wasnt used when the fan hit last time). So that way - in 5 years when this fix fails i will only lose half a day swapping them over.

Might go see the bolt man for some whitworth bolts for the radiator sides/grill sides. About half of them are there, with a couple of metric bolts thrown in for good measure.

Also to install is a 2kg fire extinguisher, and i have a period correct tool roll, which will find a home on it somewhere