BlownCoronas 1971 Toyota Corona

had a great success today, hacked up those brand new extactors because the flowed straight into my idler arm, to cut and reworks all the bends to clear and now its all good. 

bolted the carbs on, hooked up the fuel and after i charged the battery it all kicked into life!. 

unfortunately only for a few seconds as one of the fuel inlet t pieces that feed 2 carbs was pissing fuel out, 

but absolutely blown away buy how easy it fires and the carb are so out of balance you can see the difference by eye. 

list of things to do is now 

instal my fuel regulator, 

fix fuel leak

install throttle and choke cables

tune

dort

• Like 1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AtcaJ0dZk

So here is a video of it running! thought its not running 100%

my first thoughts are that its running very lean as the exhaust got fucking hot real fast, and the carbs are back firing every one and again, more so when i open the gas up. but this could be a vac leak?

hopefully the video is good enough to get an idea of what's going on, might start a separate thread for it all

ps

how do i make the youtube video show as a video?

Edited by HighLUX
Fixed it for you
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple weeks ago i rescued a slighly dented muffler from a BMW F800GS motorcycle from the scrap metal bin at work. not exactly a cheap muffler! 

IMAG0865_zpsf80e2733.jpg

welded that under the corona and added an extension on in the form of a very mild bozo pipe. 

From the begining of the bike carb conversion i wanted to get as quiet an exhaust as i could because i wanted to just hear the induction, and this thing is now whisper quiet from the rear! still has that sweet racy raspy sounding in higher RPMS though, 

IMG_20130804_173956.jpg

• Like 1

And it is with huge thanks to Rob - 4AGE_Addict - who machined up my manifold flanges.

these now seal about 95% with the only troubles now being that the flange which has 2 ports, has only 2 bolt points on the diaganol, so im not getting a great seal on the corners with no bolt what so ever. 

i added a second gasket to try and build up a bit of crush area, and it seems to have helped quite a bit. but still not perfect. but comming along!

i really don't know where i would be without the constant help of Oldschool! 

• 2 weeks later...

this fucking thing is getting very old very fast. ive tried everything i can think of with no real soloution found, i cant see anything that should be different to the factory manifold that never had an issue. 

the only think i can think off is that the mating faces arnt 100 million % flat so i guess i could get them machined again and attempt to get them a bit better, but i really thought that they were within spec for a gasket to take up the slack. 

will copy/paste this post into the bike carb thread for more discussion/exposure.

ughghhghghghhghghghghhhggghghghg

• 1 month later...

made some more progress on this this weekend, firstly i was in the mood for something to go right, so i installed the TRD 8 way adjustable street/gymkahanna shocks (from an ae86 i think) seem to fit in awesome,  cant want to drive on them and see the difference,

5_10_11-015.jpg

(not mine, but look the same as this)

as i removed these things which really wernt suited to the job. 

Monroe HiRisers height adjustable with a bike pump lol. 

didnt get a pic but they look like this, as are horrible to drive on with all the air let out in order for it to be low. probably wernt actually shock absorbing as the thing axle tramped like a bitch

monroe_su650_3.jpg

after that i got the plate that Phiberoptic had drawn up for me on cad and put it in place to eye up the piping im gonna need for my bike carb manifold version 2. im going to position the carbs higher and further out from the engine than last time to avoid the issue i had with heat soak and being in the way of the heater hoses. also it will look cooler. 

IMAG00391.jpg

and then i started on repainting my grill. 

satin black base, and now i cant decide wether to do the bars silver or not? its a total cunt to get right and this one isnt tidy at all, but i will work at it if its worth it. 

there is also chrome rings that go around the headlights and a chrome frame around the outside to stil go on.

IMAG00421.jpgIMAG00411.jpg

Thoughts??

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28398

had a day off work today, spent the morning testing for the airforce! spend the afternoon working on my manifold. such a mint day. 

3 out of 4 runners made, imediatly looking better than version 1, i over complicated it by making the pipe all bendy. this time i also noticed that my engine actually slopes down on a few degress, so have built in the right angles for the carbs to sit right, 

they are not sitting higher, and further out, and its looking so much better!

here you can also start to see how the exhuast manifold will work with this industrial spec plate!

IMAG00481.jpg

IMAG00491.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

new manifold was welded up by simon at SURFAB, did a top job, looks brilliant. gave it a coat of gloss red zinc paint for kicks and bolted it on today, 

went alright considering i didnt have it planed flat before hand, still has leaks at the head seal, but ill have it machined flat and try again. 

the other strange thing is when i press the brakes the engine rpm drops consideribly, would probably stall out if i kept them on, its vac is teed into #4 runner, is this caused by only having one runner feeding it, or is there an issure with the booster. in my mind the booster should still be a sealed vac chamber that just moves a piston, so shouldnt afftect engine vac, but i could be completely wrong as i dont know for sure how thery work.

IMAG00711.jpg

IMAG00721.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

seeing as previous posts about this car have been pretty downbuzz with all its problems. now that things are looking up, i thought id drive down the road and take some nice pictures of it.

since a week from now its never going to look the same, its off to Mr Mk1 to have some rust and probably paint done!

need to get a wideband so that i can tune the carbs properly, but its very driveable, albeit with a slight vac leak, but ill make it 100% with the new engine. still cant get over the sound.

coronabikecarbs.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

• Like 2

today i had OS user KE70 GL who has a glazing business remove my front and rear screens in prep for the bodywork ahead. very happy with his work and would certainly recommend him over the monkeys at the major glass companies.

for the last 3-4 years its been a case of don't ask don't tell with what lurks behind the (very fucked) window rubbers. but this evening i got home from work to inspect what in fact did lie beneath. 

incredibly stoked to see that the steel is rust free both front and rear! going to make things a whole lot easier and will be nice to have the new colour right up under the new rubbers. 

onwards and upwards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thing is now scattered across the city.

rolling body is with MrMk1 for panel and paint

engine is torn down for rebuild, sent the cam to Voldo at kelford cams today, block and head will be going to a workshop I have yet to select.

and while everything is away ill be redoing the door cards, and I bought mint condition rear seat for an RT40 corona, which may or may not fit, but if it does ill be very happy + some vinyl dye

Mr Mk1 has been busy as hell and it looks like the car will be in primer this week, with its rust and body looking much better! once the car is back ill go through the many photos hes taken and put up the more interesting ones. 

i also ordered my paint today, should be ready in a day or too! which is very exciting, turns out the BMW colour i was going to go with wasnt able to be made in laquer. so the extremely helpful lady at spraystore and i went through their colour chits and used some fancy machines to discover this pretty sweet alfa romeo colour. 

the helpfull lady mixed up 120mls of the paint to make sure i was happy with it and sent me on my way! will probably put it into a touch up tin and store it away,

pretty damn hard to photograph, looks very cool in person, a bit bluer and a bit deeper in general as the light is hiting the pearl laying on top and messing with the camera haha. 

IMAG0104_1.jpg?t=1387269978

first teaser for the paint courtesy of Mr Mk1 (Josh). ive not seen it in person, but apparently looks even better in person. 

the bellow is a strip of steel that runs along the interior door sill, that is painted the same as the body, always loved how it have some paint on the inside and this sure does it justice. 

IMG_5978.jpg?t=1387599803

I also have my head and block back from MPL automotive who did a stellar job on it. acid cleaned, all mating faces machined and about a mm taken off the head which will slightly raise the compression. 

also thanks to Voldo (Rob) at Kelford cams i have a nice mildly upspecd cam sitting ready to drop in aswell. 

so many people helping and i cant thank them enough! cant wait for it to all come together. 

• Like 1