BlownCoronas 1971 Toyota Corona

currently assembling a megasquirt ECU, thoroughly enjoying myself. its been a while since ive built an electronics kit, bought myself a fancy/still kinda cheap variable heat iron so its going smoothly. 

have also put the factory exhaust manifold back on, fit way better than the extractors ever did and doesn't leak, seems to run smoother again so thats all positive.

have replaces the snapped speedo cable and repaired and refit the original seat belts, with their sweet old school buckles. 

now just waiting for the rear seat to come back from the girl who is upholstering it, and a few light bulbs and its wof time! excite. 

• Like 2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some crappy photos

the rear seat base, that is in the process of being upholstered, the back rest will eventually match, 

it will tighten up, as its only attached around the front right now, but happy with it!

IMAG0447.jpg

the new steering wheel, also very happy with it, 

IMAG0448.jpg

and the factory exhaust manifold installed, doesnt look as cool as the extractors, but it doesnt leak (except at the join after the collector, new gasket needed :( ) and it doesnt glow red hot after cruising a bit, fuck knows why the extractors did that, but obliviously rubbish. the added bonus is that i can use the heat sheild again, hit it with some high temp flat black, and it hides the yuck manifold, so all in all, pretty happy with this too, 

IMAG0449.jpg

WOF tomorrow, wonder what will happen.

• Like 2

failed the wof. 

1.rules have changed around seats or something, so my previosly legaly mounted porche seats now need a cert. pretty fucked off with this, since they have been in there for years and are safe as. 

2. damaged seatbelts

3.exhuast leak at 4-2 join on manifold

4. vehicle sits bellow 100mm

fix/plan

1. get the factory seats from chch and slam them back in and deal with cert issue after i move to aucklan

2. put the telstar seatbelts back in, 

3. replace the gasket.

4. this one confused me, since its always sat just above 100, drove home and measured it at 105-110. so i think they just assumed it was under 100. ill make up a little measuring tool and take it with me. 

all in all. not a bad list. ill have to wait to next weekend to go to chch to get the seats, but i should be able to get the wof the Monday following.

replaced the leaking gasket, went to take it out only to have it crumble to dust. 

fucked my hands up getting it in and out, but atleast its one more thing done, only thing now is the car is whisper quiet, not sure if im happy about that, might do something with it later, even as is, its only running a bmw 1100cc bike muffler. could probably straight pipe it and it be legal. 

rest of the wof list will be done over the weekend and it should have a wof very soon! 

So today this got its first 'proper' warrant, since deciding about a year and a half ago that i was sick of getting super lax wofs. and really wanted to bring it up to speed. 

this snowballed into pretty much redoing everything, and now it feels like a bit of an end of and era! there's still heaps of little stuff to do to get it looking mint, but now i can actually drive it, and bar a wheel alignment, it rides very very nicely, i am extremely happy, and cant wait for next weekend when i intend to drive it to Christchurch for the weekend, 

slightly unrelated pic

10428068_903360016364124_571474783113263

• Like 6

brand new speedo cable snaped! stoked 

in lighter news i started polishing the paint finaly, only got a few hours on it but its coming up very nice, just need to get some better aplicators and probably a super fine polish to go over again 

IMAG0459.jpg

hard to see whats going on there, but it used to be very hazy, if you look at the panel gap between the hood (not done) and the gaurd (started doing) you can see the vast difference in clarity 

• Like 1

well over the long weekend i completed 700kms of near trouble free driving in this, it loves the open road and really comes alive through the hills. very happy. 

the only issues i had was the problem of the carbs spitting due to a manifold leak, i had has this sorted, but i had to pull the manifold off to fix another leak for a wof, and foolishly didnt replace the gasket. so there must be a slight leak again, ill wait till i get to auckland and redo the exhuast before fixing this as getting the manifolds off with the exhuast welded all the way though is near impossible. no big deal though, i did the up the manifold bolts a touch tighter and its mostly gone away and will happily cruise at 100. 

the other issue, which might not even be an issue, is that i noticed the oil breather (originally this was hosed back into the inlet manifold) fumes off a bit of oil fumes while running at temp, not alot, but i do have a think film of oil over components in say a 10cm radius of it, is this normal? if so ill just install a catch can. 

• 2 weeks later...

So i drove this from blenheim to auckland in a day, with all my gear in is as i got posted to whenuapai from woodbourne. the exhuast ended up 25mm off the ground. the ferry had to load me on the train deck haha. but i made it to auckland pretty much in tact. the exhuast it toast. and the engine was running a little hot, either its a side effect of poor ignition timing, that will be fixed with the new ecu. or i just need a better radiator.

none the less, i got to whenuapai, only to discover, there are no garages for rent, 2 year waiting list. and they have closed the engineering club... so im not really sure where/how im meant to build a new exhuast. fuck.

Went to the Totota Fest today, met a couple auckland oldschoolers so that was pretty cool, heaps of awesome cars on display. and then i thought i miss heard when they said over the loud speaker we could do a couple laps for people to get photos. so i got a couple laps of hampdon downs for the grand total of $0. granted it was more of a cruise but it was still fun!  

madmax photography got some awesome pictures of my car (and have seen many other OS cars on their facebook so check it out if you havnt done so)

not sure if the photos are going to show up since im stuck using ham spec work computers with internet explorer till my internet gets connected.

11017705_866083170117288_631998086095954

10676289_866083233450615_982193202238774

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Spent the best part of the weekend finally polishing this and applying a hard shell wax that i scored from BMW before i left there. i really hate polishing, but am pretty happy with the finial results. and the hard shell should make subsequent washes quite simple. 

the other thing that happened after all that represents quite a milestone for me, the badges have been re applied to the car, nearly 3 years and two paint jobs since removing them! (some excess sealant removal required) 

IMAG0610.jpg

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg

• Like 4

i also finally got around to putting an earth from the battery to the chassis, as in another thread where i couldn't figure out why my new gauges were jumping around all over the place. i discovered that earth cable disappeared amongst the rebuild. gauges now work properly and so does a bunch of other stuff that was being weird, funny that. 

heres the alloy gauge panel i made a few months back i made to fit the new smaller gauges into my existing carpeted gauge pod i made years ago and quite like. sand blasted it because it was a little blingy for my liking, but i really like the finish.

IMAG0616.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to applying power to my megasquirt ECU today to make sure i didnt Chernobyl it during construction. seemed to function properly. synced up no worries. and i jammed the vac hose into the MAP sensor. and it displayed its albiet dismal vacuum properly.  

tomorrow will hopefully consist of making the mods required to run my engine and getting a bit more of the ecu functional. hopefully wont be too long till its running the engine! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the last peice of the megasquirt puzzle was fitting a throttle position sensor. so i went to pick a part and had a nosy under nearly every hood and settled on the TPS from an e36. nice and small and readily available. then came the question of where to put it. which ive detailed below. pretty happy with results. now i just have to wire in the megasquirt and lock + rephase my dizzy! so close to digital ignition!

first i decided on a location. this meant this bracket would need to be redesigned to take the sensor. and i also filed the end of the shaft into a D shape to drive the sensor.

aga12xja.nno.png

i then flattend the original bracket to use as a stencil for the holes
IMAG0658.jpg

cut new bracket out, and drill holes
IMAG0660.jpg

Fold and dress edges
IMAG0661.jpg

test fit
IMAG0662.jpg

done!
IMAG0663.jpg

ooooh alloy flash

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

well the megasquirt is all installed and controlling the engine now, very impressed with the results. will need a bit of fine tuning, but already has made a huge difference. 

ill make a video showing it in action at some point, but for now, heres a demonstration of the launch control feature at the drags i attended today. 

• Like 2

Couple photos of the car launching at the drags last week. makes it look pretty fast even though it wasn't  :tongue:

as you can see i also bought some new tires finally. ditching the fucked and stupid sizes i had.

now has Nankang Prestiges 205/50/13, which i was worried would be pushing it for being too wide for the guards, but ended up being so perfect i couldn't have planned it any better. looks great with the white writing too. 

pygy3vjc.b11.jpg

rp0103sc.vtv.jpgxvkv5wmg.uba.jpg

2t2dkq2r.lbr.jpg

• Like 3

bit of a disaster over the weekend, drove this most of the way back from auckland to christchurch. 

got to huntly and it was really apparent that something was wrong. if RPMS dropped bellow 3000, then the thing would hardly fire a cylinder. pulled over and checked over everything, couldnt really find anything wrong at all, so concluded something must have gone wrong with the ECU. it was getting on and id make fuck all progress to wellington where i was supposed to stay the night before boarding the ferry to christchurch. 

so i made the call to quickly revert the loom back to points ignition and not running from the ecu. unfortunatly my dizzy had been locked up to suit the megasquirt, so i had no choice but to set it for a static ignition of about 20BTDC which i knew would destroy power and fuel economy, which it did, it also made it run pretty average and splutter alot. the problem only went away for about 50kms, and when i pulled over again, i pulled all the coil and associated gear off and went about testing everything, eventually i discovered the fucking points gap had closed up just enough to cause the issues. i didnt even consider these, as i only just replaced them last week, mustnt have done them up tight enough. by now it was fucking late in the day, so i made the rookie mistake of not reverting back to the ecu and just carried on trouble free to wellington.

i found, about 140km out of christchurch, that this splutering and miss fireing was causing the carbs to flood up quite bad, and soaking the filters in gas. and finally on quite a steep uphill pull, the car finally spluttered a spark out the intake and ignited one of the K&N filters, (picked because of the foam filters reputation of catching fire ha!) and instantly the car died on two cylinders and i pull over, only to find a small fire puffing away on the filter, i was able to blow it out with my breath so not too bad, but its totally fucked two slides, and the pieces the slides fit in to, and probably damages most other plastic parts. 

IMAG0699.jpg

IMAG0701.jpg

so im not on the hunt for somewhere where i can find the slides and carriers for a set of Mikuni BST40s 

pretty gutted as this had been running absolutely beautifully for the past two weeks. and all because of that points gap and a few rushed decisions. but its nothing terminal. and hopefully the damage was only done to the two carbs, thought ill tear down all 4 and probably throw rebuild kits at them anyway.

discuss my fuckups - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/30375-flibois-1971-toyota-corona/page-5?hl=%20fliboi

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday the replacement mikuni carb parts arrived from motolab in the states, which is the cheapest place i could find. still wasnt cheap!

IMAG0754.jpg

in a last minute discovery i found that my carbs have different slides to literally every single Mikuni BST40 i could find. not even one obscure picture on the internet showed the flat bottomed slides i originally had, so i made the decision to replace all four. the next couple photos show the difference. 

IMAG0756.jpg

IMAG0758.jpg

so the carbs have been rebuilt and reinstalled, and the ECU wired back in, now all thats left is to get my partner to hold the key while i time it back up to ECU timing requirements. then once its back to running spec ill look at replacing the points module with a hall sensor, and i also want to replace the mechanical fuel pump, which up untill this point hasnt really given me any issues (runs with a 3psi regulator) but its very ugly, and i just know a pressure sensing pump will work FAR better. 

i also have a speedo cable on the way, and then its wof time once again! 

• Like 1

had a nightmare of a weekend trying to get this going again, wouldn't give anything but random chuffs, then out of the blue it fired up and ran perfectly. so i thought sweet, ill let it warm up then ill dial in the timing and im away. NOPE turned the car off again and back to random chuffs, and no amount of fettling would sort out out. 

my intention was to get the car back to the points triggered running well state before converting to electric triggering so that i had a 'known' good base to start from, but now im thinking fuck it, the new system doesnt really rely on the car being timed perfectly anyway since all that gear gets ripped out so i might just start on the conversion anyway. 

in cause you missed it in the discussion thread, here is a nice old datsun with a very tidy install of a trigger wheel and sensor into the dizzy housing, 

its now my intention to unashamedly rip it off for my own build. 

does anyone know any good doner cars for wasted spark coils and such? 

• Like 1