BlownCoronas 1971 Toyota Corona

BlownCorona

I was keen on keeping points for the oldschool factor haha, but I'll either swap to a hall sensor insert for the dizzy or a trigger wheel.

Am going to have to seriously think about what direction to go from here.

The megasquirt does offer quite a lot and I'm warming to the idea of efi. But I still just love carbs

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe. i was getting acceptable results with contact breaker points, that wernt even set properly. im not really that convinced i want to go efi, even if it is better in every way, its just not in the spirit of the car. i mean hotting up the SOCH 18r wasnt the best option either, but still the option i liked best because it was the right choice for this particular car. when i open the hood and see quad carbs i really enjoy looking at it, but if i opened it and saw efi, even ITBs i would be less excited for some reason. im just sick in the head i guess.

still decisions arnt being made hastily now that its back home in a garage again. it can sit there until im really happy with a way forward, 

that all said, another set of Mikuni BST40s arnt proving easy to come by at a reasonably price. i could buy all the individual replacement parts, but it wouldst be cheap. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heaps of things use water spark coils, I used wrx coils, they need an igniter which is no big deal, you can get the coils off aliexpress for $40 or so. Evos also use wasted spark, but there isn't any need to get wasted spark coils, as you can just wire up individual coils to fire together. So if you wanted you could use four ls coils. All you have to check is whether that which ever coils you use are logic level or not, and use an igniter as applicable.

Basically pick a part/ zebra mission is on the cards.

You'll need 2 bip373's one to drive each set of coils. spark a and spark b

Not sure if you have room but i recently did this for an evo motor that had been rwd'd and couldn't use the dizzy trigger any more.

11054852_780675398698578_443887498739419

11951911_780675448698573_373262758691798

11951346_780675505365234_712210508333917

Basically machined the rear of the bottom pulley into 24 teeth and mounted the  hall effect sensor in behind it.

There is also another hall effect sensor on the cam looking at a single cap screw for the sync pulse as its sequential.

• Like 2

If you use an external igniter or logic level coils you dont need the on board igniters (bip373s) though right?

That is a sweet set up though, good job.

Seeing he has to keep the dizzy it is probably worth putting the trigger there even though it is slightly less accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a hard time deciding which option is better.

I've read that having the noise of the ignitors inside the ecu isn't great, and It's not that easy to find real estate to mount them inside.

But on the other hand they are old as you say, though not hard to get and could be swapped out very easily

both will work fine. Yeah people say that but there's factory ecu's mainly euros bmw etc that have the igniters built into the ecu's no problems as long as there's good grounding. best thing about the bip373 is over current protection is built into them so if  you over dwell your  coils they'll shut down untill the cool down first. 

I would use the Subaru Ignitor, they are cheap and easy to get, and work great, as well as get pesky noise out of your ECU (which isn't designed or shielded properly like oem ones are). And yes they are definitely Logic level, Supply it with your ign out and it will work.