OldNathans RX30 Cressida 1UZ discussion

OldNathan

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity I was in Welly last weekend. Was keen as to meet up. Should bowl over this Friday evening.

Wish I had a stack of cash to hurry up and fix mine. It needs a serious choon up.

Yeah would have been good. I'll be keen for a beer this weekend. My car is parked up in the shed for now because the sus that came with it/last minute instal sucks. Stuft shock, dry shocks and bad bushes. Not a very nice ride at all. Getting prices as we speak on new lowering springs(very) and shorter shocks. I think I might 20mm spacer my wheels to see what they look like once its dropped. I think flipping them wont give me the look Im after/can afford.

Got a brand new clutch and flywheel yesterday that my mate kindly dropped off seeing hes not using it. If it all fits , which the measuring tape says it will, then I'm well on the way to rip the motor and box out. Im going to try and enjoy this build as aposed to my usual want it done want it done why is this taking so long attitude. Shoot me a txt when your free and I'll see how Im placed dude.

I know nothing really. Just going off that song, the knee bones connected to the... thigh bone. But just changing the words. Then I'll get someone who knows what they are doing to put it all together and hear the word of the Lord oh I mean hear the sound of the 1UZ.

Im exited.

Sadly out of town this weekend but would have been for beer meet.!

Shit theres a lot of double e's in that sentance!

you pretty keen for coils all round????

If your willing to go after market new purchase, I'm guessing gx61-71 etc ones fit, but top hats are different, well to a corona like mine anyway.

If your willing to go after market new purchase, I'm guessing gx61-71 etc ones fit, but top hats are different, well to a corona like mine anyway.

Im pretty keen for more low. Does anyone make coilovers for the rear? The rear shock tunnel setup is different though but if there was a set up long and thin enough maybe? Would AE86 coilovers fit?

hmmmm... from memory they are crazy thin yeah?

Like just enough for a shock??

Edit: Also if memory serves me right, the bump stops mount on cones that connect to the chassis.... these maybe need to be cut and welded for sweet height, I think thats why I didnt use the shocks I bought for this setup and ended up with dx wagon in the back, which I was never happy with

hmmmm... from memory they are crazy thin yeah?

Like just enough for a shock??

Edit: Also if memory serves me right, the bump stops mount on cones that connect to the chassis.... these maybe need to be cut and welded for sweet height, I think thats why I didnt use the shocks I bought for this setup and ended up with dx wagon in the back, which I was never happy with

Yeah real thin. I'll have a measure up when Im next in the shed. I suppose if I got the max measurment I could see if any coilovers are that thin. If these engine parts keep working out so well I might be able to get you the box in time if you still need it.

• 2 weeks later...

GX61 top hats same as RX30/MX40.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice,

Where you going to look for fly and bell bolts?

Also, NicT tried to do a 1uz+megasquirt.

Said it was the worst thing he ever tried and ended up selling everything haha.

Hmm very interesting. Shot Seedy a txt to see if he had anything in his arsenal but failing I might call the car tune company as I'll be getting a spigot off them anyway. As long as they arent a stupid price for bolts.

Have read mixed reviews on the mega hence wondering if its worth getting one and getting a sparky I know who has done my previous work or going a basic link. But funds will determine all this I guess. Not that I want to cut corners but dont want to go nuts.

Hey dude,

congratulations on your purchase :)

spigot bearing

- if your using the A1 bellhousing your spigot bearing needs to be 30mm wide, 20 ish in the crank and 10 out. This is because the housing sits the box back about 25mm.

megasqirts

- the ones of trademe have two injector drivers which will really effect fuel consumption,

- having seen the inside of them, not a impressed, they really are rubbish.

- they will work, but they are not good quality.

1uz factory ecu's

- have 64 different maps in them, and run very nice.

- very realiable.

- very easy to wire up.

- I can supply a number of diagrams and explain how to wire up the motor and get it going, no charge, happy to help.

-

Sump,

- you wont find out what sump works for you, until the motor is in the hole, but heres a couple of tips.

- if you steering is forward of the crossmember your in trouble with sumps.

- if your steering is behind the crossmember a front sump will probably work.

- there is no real difference between a front sump engine, and a mid sump.

- rear sump engines are like hens that lay un-obtainum eggs.

- you can ~really~ change the 1uz lower sump pan (steel).

- if you know a good engineering firm, changing the alloy sump pan around is no major drama at all, I know I've done it, and I've got a alloy pan in my garage I'm going to change into an extreme rear sump and sell (when I get around to it).

- the pick up in the sump is very easy to alter.

- my advice, dont worry about the sump, worry about hood clearance.

- the fuel pump you want is a Bosch 044. you dont need anything else to run a 1uz. no swirl pots etc, etc.

- you do not need a aftermarket fuel reg, the 1uz has a manifold referenced fuel reg thats ultra reliable.

- the 1uz is fitted with a pulse dampener on the inward rail.

- 1990s' BMW's are fitted with a great alloy radiator, its a good choice. That said, 1uz's are cool running alloy block, you can use the factory radiator in your car if its in good nick. I've seen 1u's running on honda civic sized radiators with two fans and no issues. (honestly, you'd be amazed how small it can be).

- some bellhousing and flywheel bolts = m12 or m14 cap screws.

If I could do my conversion again I would use a 1u bellhousing and a good quality adaptor plate, I think this is a better way to do it.

a w50 will not take a 1uz. That box is rated to 250hp max, a 1uz's is 280hp without mods and puts out from factory the kind of torque that will split a w50 in two. If your stuck, get a g52, or a w56 or w59, to save a buck, you can change it later. you really do want a w55 or even better a w58 or 57. w58 is best. Dont bother with the w50, unless it's going to be very cheap to set up and get going, in that case go for it and break it. By the way the w40 four speed steel case toyota box is known to be extremely strong, that WILL take a 1uz.

wiring wise, - do it yourself mate, it's actually very easy. I'm happy to explain it all on the phone and via email, will pm my details.

I made love to your words as I read them. So good to hear from people that are full of the right advice, have done it and are keen to give it a go. I will call you in the next few days as Im having an op tomorrow and off work for 6 weeks from then so plenty of time.

PS I already have a good condition W50(and if it breaks it breaks) with a 1UZ bellhousing with an adapter welded on. I also have all the factory master and slave cylinder and lines so I think its best to carry on at this stage.And Im dead keen to have a jam at the wiring myself. Thanks heaps dude.

cool, hope the op works outs, dont plan on doing anything 1-2 weeks after a general it really knocks ya for six, not a good time to make life choices thats for sure.

look forward to hearing from ya, no rush mate those details (pm'd) will be good for many years :)

Cheers dude. Getting my elbow done so that sucks working on a car but at least I still have one hand and can still drive.

And yes your right about the hood clearence, Ive had a look at Duddleys and his has a bit of room. Dont think a supercharger option will be there though. Hoping to lower the engine/box in next week to get sump hood and mount measurements. Getting exited.