Goat's Datsun 240z.

So as some of you may already know, i have somehow managed to pry this fine piece out of Seedy's hands and into my inept grasp.
Took me a good couple of years to convince him to sell it to me. But persistence is king.

After Seedy umming ad arring he finally said yes and settled on a price, i included the caveat that if it was way more haggard than i remembered i could back out.
Went up to Napier a couple of months ago on a lovely rainy day (Even in napier! WAT) to have a look. And i liked what i saw!
Mind you, any Z would look mint compared to my s30 fairlady. Haha

This is how i saw it:
exh3wjjt.uvk.jpg

rrbsfpis.mio.jpg

A couple of weeks later it was on a trailer and heading back to wellingtone:
zgdt2xae.wfe.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It also had some rot in the corner of the boot. This involved a rather elaborate patch to be made up.

jshuxje4.qno.jpg

rfqgz0gd.n2o.jpg

I tried to do it properly. Unstiching the spot welds etc.

afgcthar.rua.jpg

nn3tvaba.pfd.jpg

Made up patch including all factory suage lines etc:

mxsflkpi.j3j.jpg

dqkmw4xp.sfl.jpg

w1be2ydr.nzo.jpg

Welded in, groud welds and applied seam sealer:

1do2fpt4.yff.jpg

I nice glistening coat of matty B:

afumldqe.clm.jpg

Kapow - No more rust holes.... or so i thought

• Like 3

Failed warrant.

• Different rust needs signoff. (Funny how this was safe 1 month ago but not now. Not that i have any issues with this though. Happy to get this rust free)
  • Exhaust leak in another location. Which wasn't leaking before. Must have been a very taxing 7km its traveled in last month. New exhaust time i think.
  • Need cert for seat mounts (cos they are not factory). The problem is, that they are the factory mounts and rails. Grrrr

Rage!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As it currently stands.

5nrvaak2.yxf.jpg

Pulled these goodies off.

tckaaviw.203.jpg

Old shocks in orange. New in yellow. Yum Yum.

However, whorey brake conversion as left front struts unusable. If you look closely at front struts you can see some drilled and tapped holes in hub. And the old caliper mounting lugs have been cut off. Grrr. They will not pass cert with the way its been done. As there is only 5mm meat around one of the holes. Not really enough for 4pots. Hmm.

Trying to locate some early 240z struts at the moment.

Worst case scenario i will have to get a sleeve kit for the later 260z style front struts (which i have a pair of). As these are slightly bigger diameter and my current kit will not fit on these :(. Just a P.I.T.A.

Ah well, story of my life. Whenever i touch or do anything to do with cars, nothing ever goes to plan/right. Except the triumph. Thats always been good to me. Hah

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned the factory weld off. Though as it turns out. I took the section out of this part of the strut anyway. So for the next 3 i didn't need to clean it up. Live and learn....

0xmv50jh.xfd.jpg

Cut that shit. First Cut.

js3gttwt.jfe.jpg

Perfect Fit:

lvyw0mvr.djd.jpg

Test fitting shock. Brand new, though all the trial and error has made it looks 20 years old. Hah

p21r1d2t.feu.jpg

Bling:

s5xjtlny.st4.jpg

• Like 1

Here was the old front setup. The cause of all the drama. They have some really choice, really light 4pots on the front. But they have been drilled so rough. I don't think it will get cert at all. Hence the need to find some replacement struts. Grr:

I had to pinch the top part of one of these struts, as one of the struts i just bought (and payed through the fucking nose for!) Was crushed. So the threaded top for the gland nut t screw into was unusable. He had failed to tell me this. I was expecting two good condition struts. Especially for the price i paid. He should have mentioned the damage. Fortunately i could pinch this of my old strut. But what if i didn't have them... Not cool.

tjd0uog5.o0r.jpg

Here is the damage to the strut i bought. I was not told of this. Made me rage! I tried to fix it, but it is too thick walled. Couldnt bend it back with a massive wooden stick pressing on it. If i had used steel, it would probably munt the threads....

na0vf2cq.vpu.jpg

You can see here that the newly tapped caliper mounting bolts are quite a bit smaller than the factory ones... Why?

055g5w4l.xep.jpg

Here you can see how close to the edge it is. Crap. Bit dodgy, specially for brakes. Didnt want to make struts then find they couldnt be certed because of this...

ANd just to add insult to injury, the factory caliper mounts have been cut to clear the calipers. So no chance to roll back to factory. :(

pejvzcng.swy.jpg

• Like 1

Scored a set of toyota hilux 4pots. A bolt on conversion. Unsure what the discs are off, but will probably try and use the ones i already have, the discs need spacers to fit the surf calipers. These came with the calipers. Win!

emedy0ns.3to.jpg

Heavy mothers:

4in0heg0.n52.jpg

Sitting legless. But this shit is gon' be worth it.

xwwanx3a.ubf.jpg

Big thanks to kicker/Jeremy for letting me use his bench, vice, angle grinder and files. Dope.

Exciting times.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...