Boosted 202 maaaate

Mike-e

Anyone on here ever run a boosted 202?

Was waiting for a customer to show up yesterday out in the woops of the waikato and a some dude walked across a paddock with a turbo and asked me to check it out. Turbo was a Air Research T04 and was in good nick. I asked dude what he wanted to do with it, he said he wanted to stick in onto his 202 in a EJ Holden. Went for a walk with him to have a look at the car, turns out it was ridiculously shiny (far too shiny for my tastes) and happens to be on the cover of this months petrol head.

I think the engine is pretty standard atm. What compression ratio are these things? Shit tonnes of aftermarket bits for these things I know, im just trying to come up with a price list. Anyone got a turbo exhaust manifold/know a trustworthy retailer? Got everything else sorted. He wants a suckthrough setup, so be it. Has a W series box so driveline isn't a worry.

Will try to sneak a OS sticker on the back window haha

James/Plasticdash had a turbo setup to suit an old VH? It was about 10 years ago / details may evade me but i'm pretty sure it used some sort of holley, there was also a decompression plate probably to be sandwiched between 2 head gaskets, and a basic log manifold.

Sadly the project did not eventuate and I guess the kit was onsold.. Hopefully mr plasticdash will be along to fill in the fuzzy gaps..

You'd probably need to look at some sort of boost retardation etc..

ignition control is very important.

depends how you want to do it - if the factory manifold isn't too long you can just do a J pipe/Up pipe from the std manifold to the turbo even.

but by the sounds of it the guy would want a bling job not a rungus backyard one.

in which case I would be thinking

custom exhaust manifold

intake manifold from an injected 202

injectors

fuel pump

fuel reg

programmable ecu

ignition modules/coils

crank trigger

various sensors

heaps of other shite

wiring, fuel lines exhaust system, intercooler blah blah blah.

yeah that could work - still need crank sensor and tps and shite though.

otherwise the mongrel way to stop it blowing up under boost is just a locked dizzy and run spazzo timing for super shit idle/low range/mid range/high range/combustion happening in your flowmasters all the time

I had a kit, it was a CDT one, had a log manifold, inlet manifold, t04 turbo, 2" SU carb, water injection. was fairly ag-spec by todays standards. also had decompression plate.

turbo had no wastegate, but there was provision for one to be put on the manifold (which was split pulse)

I had a VH wagon that was Turbo'd from brand new, Blackwells Chch sold it and a year later the guy who owned wanted them to 5-speed it so they checked a toyota box in it. Turbo tech did the install for Blackwells

I bought it for a family car and shit it could go hard as many others found out.

It ran a single side-sucker and had to have a K&N as it was only thing good enough to give it enough air flow.

160hp at the wheels on a stock blue motor running stock ignition.

The kit was an air research kit developed in oz and the turbo was T04/05, economical as heel and lots of gogo.

They run low boost and are a mid-range setup and use a decom plate

build him a megasquirt and convince him on efi E,

could get efi throttle body and injectors to slam where the factory carb/carbs were,

then run hats on the throttle bodies and possibly stealth up turbo and intercooler bov setup.

build him a megasquirt and convince him on efi E,

could get efi throttle body and injectors to slam where the factory carb/carbs were,

then run hats on the throttle bodies and possibly stealth up turbo and intercooler bov setup.

the air research is a pretty good kit

The efi units have a low theoretical hp as they are quite small inside plus the exhaust is on the opposite side of the inlet to them

fuck oldschool rules, great advice!! if the man wants carbs he gets carbs, if I had it my way it would be diesel. And on that token I dont want to megasquirt it for many reasons like dyno/assembly time etc

Just spoke to the owner, hes keen as a bean on Spencers mechanical distributor amalgamation idea. EFI_LC - apparently repco sells a decompression plate in aus since there was a quite a few CDT/Strata kits produced, will hit them up tomorrow. Its a blue block and as far as I can gather that makes it 9:1 comp? Sounds like the same kit. Did yours have an external wastegate? the turbo he has is externally controlled. Do you know what pressure it ran?

Plastic dash; the CDT kits i've seen on the e-nets rolled 2x SU's. Did yours? apparently he wants to run a 350cfm holley. I think the CDT kit had a tube exhaust manifold and the Strata kit had a cast one. Can anyone shed some more light on this? looks like we're going to go for a custom log though.

kyteler thats very nice but vehicle is not mine. pretty sure the owner would skin me alive if he saw a hks badge anywhere when its finished

I had a kit then i talked some smack about it...

Thanks Mr plasticdash for clearing up my hazy memories of the turbo project that was... Also I recall some issue with a queer/ epically tall diff ratio yes/no??

(bare in mind 10-12 years ago i spent waaayy more time drunk than sober so may not be recalling all 100%)

There's really only one option.

Triple Sidies

Every other option is plain fucking stupid.

Mr Kytyler does have a point the old holden straight 6 does sound rather lovely with thrice worth of carbs. Possibly some basic electronic "points" setup could be robbed from a VK or similar?

Mine only ran 7lb from memory and yea it did have a wastegate on it, the VH has a nice Bosch electronic dizzy as standard which is what I run on my LC currently and I have no spark issues.

The kids used love it when I floored it as the bonnet used to left and they thought it was wheel standing :)

I remember one day coming back from fishing with the rods on the roof rack and 4 people in the car when a turbo batman driven by a guy who had a his girl next to him, I took normal and I think he thought he would show up my old shopping cart so he floored. I heard him beside me screaming just as i changed into 2nd off boost so I booted it, it came on boost quickly and i had him then into 3rd and drove straight past him much to his embarrassment. Absolute sleeper not unlike my current LC :)