be4vers 4G63/4G63T EX Lancer 1981

be4ver

got the car back to low again! 8) its a little higher than it was the first time. as in legal. just had to put a couple spacers in under the top hats and the front now sits at a healthy 110mm. the back was a bit different in that i had to take a pair of standard springs and cut one and a half coils off them and the back now sits about 115-120. will probly end up changing it all around again once i get some bigger wheels tho

pretty happy with how its sitting now, still a comfy ride and the back isn't sitting on the bump-stops anymore bouncing all over the place :D

img1098jn.jpg

img1102nt.jpg

was at the wreckers again the other day and picked up this seat out of a late model lancer, the back part fitted pretty good, had to drill new holes for the bottom mounts. the bottom piece wasn't that easy tho. had to bend the inner frame to fit it over the wheel arches. I managed to get it to fit ok but im still not very happy with it, its way better than the old grotty seat tho and comfy as hell.

img1085f.jpg

img1088aj.jpg

spotted these fancy looking gauges in a WRX while i was at the wreckers too so i grabbed them aswell

img1080cl.jpg

they are pretty cool. they are defi brand and have a wee control box that actually records and plays back the data they receive and have peak recall and preset-able alarm that can come on if your over heating or boosting etc. pretty flash indeed! scored them for $150 which i thought was pretty reasonable.

When i got home,just out of interest i looked on trademe and found an identical set for $800! :o and a couple of similar sets for $500-$600......so now they are tentatively for sale on tardme hahaha :lol:

although they look pretty dam good, the money would mean a pretty good start for a rebuild on my turbo engine....hmmm what to do... $$$$ or "best gauges money can buy"?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put these wheels off the corona on here today and i think they look pretty good, better than the steels anyway! although it looks like every black ex thats been on trademe recently :rolleyes: and i now need to make it lower again haha

it does handle a lot better now compared to those tiny bubble tyres, a little stiffer/bouncier feeling now if ya know what i mean :lol:

img1223i.jpg

img1222ob.jpg

img1221v.jpg

thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

progress imminent...

img1567kl.jpg

img1570g.jpg

img1571xt.jpg

sooo beautiful

still need to pull the gearbox out and put the new seals in i got so once the 260 or corona is legal this will be coming off the road for some time to do some shit.

the list so far is looking a little like this;

brake master overhaul/replace (starting to bypass :? )

gearbox seals to replace

mount exhaust better at the back (started knocking on something)

fingers crossed for the next two (yet to be confirmed if its available but i'm possibly getting a crashed factory turbo ex parts car)

brake up grade to turbo ex struts etc

factory turbo ex LSD... or at least bigger diff with the disc brakes.

and possibly look at dropping engine no.2 in there :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wrangled the gearbox out last night in an attempt to rectify the problem of gear oil all over my driveway. So tonight replaced a seal and the apparent leaky gasket.

It hopefully won't leak any dam more cos its a real cunt to get in & out with the car just on axle stands.

img1795i.jpg

img1791nu.jpg

img1794uu.jpg

i got two of the rubber seals and the gasket but only ended up putting the smaller seal in and gasket, i have no clue where the other one goes. i thought it was for the output shaft but its a bit bigger so :scratch:

also, does anyone know what this screw is for on the side of the gearbox? it was quite loose and seemed to have been leaking too so i tightened it right up. Ended up winding it in quite a lot, it was almost flush with the end of the hole :?

img1800f.jpg

my plate arrived too :D

img1806cu.jpg

So it turns out that wee screw thing on the side of the gearbox has something to do with the selector or something. Once I got everything back together and full of oil again I went to take the car for a wee test drive, backed the car out the drive onto the road and FUCK no 1st or 2nd gear. The gear stick literally wouldn't let me put it in but I still had 3rd 4th 5th and reverse no worries at all. Luckily I could drive it back up in 3rd gear.. just. So i wound the screw back out roughly to where it was and boom 1st n 2nd gear have magically returned to me. I still don't understand why that little cunt is there or what it's purpose is... Anyone know? Does it need to be adjusted to a specific spot somehow?

picked up this fine example of an ex lancer this weekend

img1824db.jpg

img1822wk.jpg

such a sad sight to see. But not as sad as this...

img1820t.jpg

unfortunately the one i got hasn't got an LSD. One of the others he had did have one in it but he wanted much more for it than i was wanting to pay at the moment and for an equally fucked car. But he was a pretty good old fulla so i might look at getting it off him on a later date. However i have heard that some of the pajero LSD heads if in the 10 bolt diffs? would be cool if i can go that way with it!

Luckily this one had been sitting undercover, although open to whatever creatures wanted to live in there. the carpet and seats will be pretty mint with a good clean i think. the carpet is a bit damp but fingers crossed its not rotten.

if anyone wants parts let me know, although ill be keeping the following

diff

front struts

brakes

brake booster

gearbox internals

sway bar

seats

carpet

has a pretty mint dash in it with just one wee crack where the speaker is, one mint door card one pretty average (just the two back ones tho)

Whats left of the engine is in the boot, might have some useable bits n pieces for some one

have a mint grill too

img1855wc.jpg

img1853s.jpg

img1850ak.jpg

img1840s.jpg

img1837z.jpg

img1834w.jpg

img1833s.jpg

seats came out mint with just a little wipe down so far, stoaked!

img1867sq.jpg

also found this bit out where i picked up the parts car

img1859eb.jpg

had to trim it a bit so it would match up with my guards. should fit ok, will need something to hold it up in the middle tho. also its pretty warped from sitting bent up for years so ill need to try reshape it.

img1865ry.jpg

img1864g.jpg

not sure if im that keen on it yet, although there arent many others around like it, which i like 8)

thoughts?

get naked! :oops:

img1877hz.jpg

img1876h.jpg

coouple mins after this pic it started pissing down and hailing! :evil::evil:

img1884qj.jpg

dog wanted to get in and cover it in hair asap

img1878s.jpg

img1889z.jpg

img1892ok.jpg

img1894s.jpg

out of 3 cars worth of plastics i finally have a full set of mint unbroken panels and trim, clips and all! used mostly the grey bits from the gsr but still had to use a couple of brown bits i had so i just painted most of the bits black.

Still need to paint a couple more bits but already looks approximately 1205931 times better than this

img0555dca.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just added again to my Mitsubishi portfolio with another ex and a cordia haha :D just set an auto bid on this auction not expecting to win at all with how much I set it to but no one really bidded in the end and shit me days I fuckin won!

Picking the ex up tomorrow so ill see what it's like, has an LSD tho so that makes it all totally worth it!

Don't know what the fuck I'm gunna do with them or where ill put them but that's a question for another day!

This lot,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=520709019

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the silly little brake booster/master cylinder tonight with the bigger one from the gsr i got. bita sand + bita paint =

img2038la.jpg

img2041s.jpg

img2060m.jpg

img2061wg.jpg

Brakes super different now! just have to touch them now, first time i braked...broke..? the dog nearly went through the window haha

In amongst the mass of spare parts i got with my recent purchase there were these evo brakes, they've been stripped down completely and cadium? plated. Anyway I've been looking at attaching them to the struts from the gsr as the mounting holes are pretty close. Hmmm...don't know what i'll do with these yet

img1997t.jpg

Also got this clutch which was attached to the cordia, its apparently a brand new heavy duty one. but it looks fairly normal to me? Can anyone tell me if it is better than an everyday regular run of the mill clutch? can't see any numbers on it

if it is better than the one im using now then ill use it when i swap engines

img2024rz.jpg

img2025fv.jpg

planning stages!

looks like the cold side of the piping will be pretty simple. The intercooler, some may notice, is actually different to the one i was originally going to use. That one ended up being a bit too wide whereas this one is a much more user friendly size. its off a supra i believe, the original mounts for it are almost in the perfect spots to mount it here

img2107sy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

finally got round to fitting this lip... i quite like it

the car is at gay wof spec height currently too which is gay (flew through though)

img2189rq.jpg

img2192oy.jpg

its pretty banged up and has big scrape marks etc in it but i rekin that just adds to the character

• 4 weeks later...

Strut braced. Just modified one I had lying around. Think it was meant to be for a cordia. Had to chop about 70mm out of the middle of it so it would fit and also drill all new holes for the strut towers. Unfortunately it's kinda on backwards cos it hits the lid of the brake fluid reservoir when it's round the other way. Not that it really matters but I would have rather have it sit back a bit further.

imagennq.jpg

• 1 month later...

picked me up this in the weekend, an 8 bolt diff with disc brakes. i sure most of you fellow EX fan boys would have seen on trademe the guy thought originally it was an LSD.luckily for me it turned out not to be and i managed to haggle the price down a bit. Now i have somewhere to put my 8 bolt LSD nugget, yuss!

img2526n.jpg

did some comparing between this and the 10 bolt one i have and the brake calipers and rotors are exactly the same, also while i was playing the comparison game i sussed exactly what the difference is between the GSR, 1600 and 1200 struts is.

If anyone cares...

strut "fatness" GSR - 51mm

1600 - 51mm

1200 - 45mm

Brake caliper mounting holes center to center

GSR - 140

1600 - 145

1200 - 145

1200 and 1600 callipers are the same so would be interchangeable

if you wanted to put the GSR brakes on the other struts you'd need to use the backing plate and everything cos they actually bolt on closer to the center than the others.

GSR struts have slightly bigger springs than the others and the backing cover is heaps different

GSR rotors are bigger and vented

img2527hl.jpg

difference in size of the 1200, 1600 and GSR calipers

img2530gu.jpg

back covers, GSR on the left

img2531w.jpg

this shows the different mounting positions of the GSR caliper against the 1600 back cover, also the GSR bracket mounts the caliper pretty much straight out the side where the others are a little further around the rotor, like closer to the top.

So anyway, i didn't just do all this for curiosity sake, I'm going to go get all the rotors skimmed and the diff needs new pads while i'm at it. The GSR brakes and rotors will be going on the short shock having struts that are currently in my ex. As well as that everything will be getting a dam good clean up and painted.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

img2559r.jpg

heres some of the blasted brake bits, these are now in possession of a painter friend of mine who is going to paint them some random colour he next has some left over of. hopefully black.

discs are now all skimmed up real nice

photoytz.jpg

i also degreased and sanded back the diff i got and gave it a few coats of spray paint

img2630dz.jpg

img2633f.jpg

and pulled this LSD head apart to change the ratio to a more usable everyday sorta ratio

img2637g.jpg