battery light on but still charging???

JasonK

went for a drive today (Napier to palmy and back) and my battery light was flashing on then going off again for most of the trip then about a couple of k's from home it came on and stayed on, when I stopped there was a smell of hot/burning electrics and the altenator was pretty hot (not sure if it normally is). I tested the battery and it had about 15v running with lights and radio on. I have recently replaced the brushes and bearings in the altenator. its got me beat, any ideas?

well now i'm wondering whats going on. I changed the altenator last weekend to a second hand one i've had for a while, barely drove the car all week but it seemed ok, was charging etc, now I drive back to napier tonight and light starts flashing again, as the light flashes on my headlights got brighter.

god dam electrics. anyone have any ideas?

Some alternators use the same plug for the sensor and charge light, but the polarity of the connections is reversed. Worth checking this out - it caused me some short term confusion when I changed from a Mitsubishi alternator to a Lucas one in the Silvia, and had similar symptoms to what you are describing.