Mikeys '72 Datsun 240z

mikey

You can get a few Semi's in a 245/45 R16 if that isn't too short of a tyre....

Sounded Fab!!

Wonder if the Mrs will have my bollocks if her RX350 sounded like that on the kindy run.....

Ahh, I just checked, and the current size I have is 225/50 (not 60). So the diameter difference between them and 245/45's is only 4.5mm so should be sweet! Might be the way forward.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit yeah.

Registering for the drag day? Get your brother in law (or whoever it was) with the old 911 to come too!

not sure if it was on purpose, but im sure you know, an s30 and an old 911 BELONG together down the strip!

also, good skid. ive watched it 3 times already, i particularly like a tidy drift at the t intersection at the end, made it look like you knew what you were doing!

Is that because you saw them together on Wangan Midnight?

oh sure go ahead and presume because i really enjoyed that anime that i just watched it cause its a cool thing to do.

nothing to do with my very deep passion for the days of wangan and kanjo racing, 

but yes i did see them on wangan midnight and yes i do enjoy seeing a 240z and a 911 together. 

end rant, ive had a bad day. shit i dont even know if you were being sarcastic. why hasnt someone employed sarcasm font for the internet

• Like 3

I'm a complete STM32 convert these days, and an atmel boy before that... But I do admire your work all the same :-).

I just kinda fell into PIC's because we used them at an old job for things. I am used to them now and I like that I can get them for free just by requesting samples from the Microchip site. Plus I have a couple of programmers and that. 

I just had a quick squizz at some STM32's. It'd be damn nice to have 32 bit registers and they've got heaps of features. Way more powerful than the baseline PIC's I've been using. But now I have a bunch of questions :)

Looks like they have a 8Mhz internal oscillator, do you use that for some projects or always use an external one?

What chip do you use for smaller projects which only need around 8 I/O's? Are there any in DIP packages?

Do you need a fancy programmer for them? 

Is there a free C compiler?

Thanks man :)

the oscillator thing depends on what you need. Havent used the STM32s, but internal oscillators are generally only accurate to 10% or something which isnt good if you need an accurate clock. RS232 for example, needs to be within 2.5%

Plus i assume the STM32s will multiply that frequency in a PLL to get some faster frequency to run the core, which also means you multiply the error.

You can normally tune them to be within a tighter tolerance though so they do work, but even a super cheap external oscillator will be accurate to ~10-50 ppm (parts per million)

Sometimes you just need a weird frequency as well, that you cant get from the internal oscillator (unless they have a fractional n PLL in there) again, for example, with an 8mhz clock, you might not be able to get all the weird frequencies that RS232 requires, but they have special oscillators that divide down perfectly to run RS232 with 0% error.

Power consumption is one too. Micros use more power when running faster, so if you only need something simple, you just use a slow xtal (getting sick of writing oscillator) and then you save some power as well. If you need something to do with time (days, hours, minutes, seconds etc) you would run a 32.768 Khz xtal, as it divides down nicely to work with real time and is still fast enough to do some computations etc

Thats about all i can contribute to STM32 talk :)

I use Atmel AVRs where i can as they are so easy to use etc. Use Cortex ARMs at work which will run rings around AVRs but are also infinitely harder to use... can get free compilers for these though, but lucky enough to use Keil at work (can be found on torrent sites too though ;) ) and you can buy cheap clone programmers from aliexpress or ebay or whatever for $30 and i assume STM is the same dealio.

They have those STM discovery boards which have a programmer on the board. I have a couple here but havent gotten around to using them yet though, but they are super cheap and would make for a nice way to step into it as it's minimal monetary investment but will let you play around with a few projects etc and see if its for you.

Even though a different processor might be faster or cheaper or whatever, if the thing you know will suffice, use it... so many times where i've gone and used something else because i wanted to learn or thought it would be better and has always taken 10x as long and worked nowhere near as good

I started STM32 dev work with the discovery boards, but found all the added stuff they have (displays, gyro's, etc...) cumbersome and annoying as I didnt need them. I was working on projects that were quite computationally intense, thus requiring the higher speeds and longer registers, but not really peripheral orientated.

I've since moved to Waveshares 'CORE10X' dev boards, as they're really bare bones, with just the pins broken out for easy access. I use these for firmware development and prototyping, with an external STM programmer. I can't remember the name given to the programmer off hand, but it wasent expensive, and does decent in circuit debugging via serial wire debug. It was the 'Something 2'.

I dont think any of the STM32 chips are available in DIP packages alas. I go straight from the dev board proof of concept stage to the printed circuit board stage. I get these manufacturered by Seeed Studios in china, its stupidly cheap and they havent fucked any up for me in the last couple of years :-). There is one micro manufacturer that produces and ARM based micro in DIP format, but I can't remember which one it is. I hand solder all the boards, the fine pitch stuff really isn't too tricky with a bit of practice and good flux :-). If you're the only person using it, the AOYUE branded soldering gear isnt too bad, you just have to take care of it as the durability is really nowhere near as good as better brands. But they do some cool SMD soldering stuff.

I always use an external oscillator with my STM32 stuff. It isnt strictly critical, but my library reference design has it, and I've never really changed that since I created it a couple of years ago. Plus it's good to have if UART communication becomes important, for the discussed reasons above :-). You can install a second 32kHz osc for real time applications aswell, but I've never needed to.

For small stuff though, I still stick with Atmel Atmega chips. I've got a couple of arduino's ive been usign for prototyping for a couple of years, I program them via an external programmer as I've removed the arduino bootloaders off them at some stage to make more room. Atmega stuff is just so easy it cuts dev time down so much :-).