Mikeys '72 Datsun 240z

mikey

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty shit about your bonnet "repair", whats the plan for it??

Yeah, it's had this big crack in the paint that seems to grow bigger by the minute. I lose sleep wondering what lurks underneath it so figured it's time to have a poke around.

There was a light skim of bog which was coming away from the metal but luckily it wasn't too rusty under there.

So i've got some Colorpak cans matched to my paint and will respray with that and see how good I can get it. It's not gonna be perfect, but at least it wont be rotting away any more.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! I dont know if you remember . Saturday morning a dude pining over your car on K road?

It was me. Loced seeing your car in person! Stoked to see a Datto while on holiday in auckland. Also spotted a mustard 510 sedan too!

Ha! Yeah I do, always cracks me up. There's a few sweet dattos around Ak. Probably because they are the best cars in the world. Fuck I'd love a 510.

• 3 months later...

Bonnet looks good man. A big improvement! As are those rampy things over those unsecured blocks of wood you used to have. Those things were a bit scary - both for the driver and any small children walking behind... I'm not sure which improvement I prefer actually!

PS: There are some 240's racing this friday so I will take some pics up close if I can get 'em.

Bonnet looks good man. A big improvement! As are those rampy things over those unsecured blocks of wood you used to have. Those things were a bit scary - both for the driver and any small children walking behind... I'm not sure which improvement I prefer actually!

PS: There are some 240's racing this friday so I will take some pics up close if I can get 'em.

Is this Mick Robbers?

Is this Mick Robbers?

Yes - the riddle of my username has been undone!

Is this Mick Robbers?

Ha! I sorta guessed last time. It was the creepy tone of the message which gave it away.

Nothing much exciting has happened for the car recently, except purchsing this of course. It's on a boat from the states. Will rip into it in April hopefully.

Is this Mick Robbers?

Ha! I sorta guessed last time. It was the creepy tone of the message which gave it away.

Nothing much exciting has happened for the car recently, except purchsing this of course. It's on a boat from the states. Will rip into it in April hopefully.

GET OUTTA TOWN!

That is mega news.

Wowoo weewah. That is some engine. Alloy top and bottom, 300+ horsies, nice and short. Plus a six shooter tranny. My oh my.

Should be much lighter than an RB right? And keeps the weight back further toward the center of the car right? Depending on where it fits I guess...

Wowsers. You gonna run the ECU? I think you should try to run the ECU... :-) ITB's and such would give it far too much power right?

If a 240 can fit an LS1, this should fit aye. Man that is mega, I approve. I wholeheartily approve. I love V6's actually, I mean I love straight 6s a lot, but V6's can sound awesome and are generally much better for handling/packaging.

How exciting. One daren't dream of how awesome it will be when finished because one knows there is a lot of work to do before then... But still...

Yeah it's pretty epicly rad. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I like your level of excitement for the cause.

There's quite a bit of work to make it happen but I can do the vast majority myself; just not the driveshaft really, and I might get someone else to weld up the zorst.

It's way lighter than the RB, esp when you take into account all the turbo gubbins. It's lighter than the current set up too, can't remember by how much. Annnnnnnd it fit's behind the strut towers so could technically be called mid-engine? Anyway it's good for weight distro.

I'll get it up and running on stock ECU and pretty much stock everything. I'd love to go ITB's one day; it'd sound super and look less ugly than the stock plenum.

Very exciting times!

Yeah it's pretty epicly rad. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I like your level of excitement for the cause.

There's quite a bit of work to make it happen but I can do the vast majority myself; just not the driveshaft really, and I might get someone else to weld up the zorst.

It's way lighter than the RB, esp when you take into account all the turbo gubbins. It's lighter than the current set up too, can't remember by how much. Annnnnnnd it fit's behind the strut towers so could technically be called mid-engine? Anyway it's good for weight distro.

I'll get it up and running on stock ECU and pretty much stock everything. I'd love to go ITB's one day; it'd sound super and look less ugly than the stock plenum.

Very exciting times!

I think they call that Front Mid don't they. It will still sound pretty good with a pod filter or such up front and a 2 and a half inch exhaust out back. One muff should do. Then one day you could dyno tune the ECU and get some fancy headers made up - you might pick up 40 horse and in such a light car, I'm sure you'd really notice it.

Front brakes going on the back and something new for the front? Or just leaving as is? Or just not thinking about/telling the missus about that potentially expensive little extra bit yet. :-)

I'm gonna see how we go with brakes. I can probably get certed with what I have (4-pots with solid rotors), but it'll be shit at the track, so an upgrade to vented disks and wider calipers will have to happen at some point.

I agree about the headers etc plus cams and it'd be fully seck.

Costs haven't been discussed at any household meetings yet. I'd rather avoid that for as long as poss/ever lest I have to tell pork pies to Pais.

I'm gonna see how we go with brakes. I can probably get certed with what I have (4-pots with solid rotors), but it'll be shit at the track, so an upgrade to vented disks and wider calipers will have to happen at some point.

I agree about the headers etc plus cams and it'd be fully seck.

Costs haven't been discussed at any household meetings yet. I'd rather avoid that for as long as poss/ever lest I have to tell pork pies to Pais.

yes I was thinking some ventilated and slotted DBA's or such, (not cross drilled) and some QFM road/track pads would do the trick - you'd just have to find some calipers - might not cost a bomb at all.

We probably shouldn't be wasting our time talking about it now but I heard you don't always get huge gains from cams when an engine has VCT/VVT or what have you... They still do sound cooler though - always a plus.

Could gasbag about this all day really, but plenty of time for that later when we don't have work to do aye... :(

• 5 weeks later...
I'll just leave this here

http://vimeo.com/2740185

What an awesome vid... Good power too eh - 'bout 400 Horsies at the fly... Intake exhaust and cams - prob like what yours would logically end up with.

Christ that's a lot of horse for a little cart - more than double what it's got now...

With that gearbox you'll be able to run it at the strip too - low 12's for shiz...