Felixx's Anglia

felixx

^ Not quite true, but 2 minutes is probably OK and given the car started again it seems even less likely the coil has fried. If you leave the ignition on for an extended period of time and the points are closed the coil will be damaged Beaver.

I always fit a switch to my ignition circuit to cut power to the coil/s. It could help against theft but it also means if I want to do some work that requires leaving the ignition circuit on I can just disable the coil to stop it getting too warm/damaged.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Felix does the car crank at all? you sure the battery is not dead flat? I recently had batteyr issues took it in for testing and they told me battery was fine but was absolutely dead flat and that the charger I had been using doesn't work well for charging the older style batteries. They charged it up for me and it goes alot better now. Just a thought... Also have you checked to see there is a spark coming from the plugs?

p.s I might have a spare coil if you want to try it before buying a new one?

Hi there,

Well I have a 12v lawnmower that the battery was on for 4 years (full to flat every fortnight for 4 years). So I think it is not the best battery.

I found my sparkplug tester and checked each lead today, it is sparking. I will pull the plugs tonight and check em (after 8 tonight.. bloody cold garage)

I think it is coil or points as it got progressively worse running each time I started it, now she will not start at all. Pissed off as I put new points, condensor and a good coil into it.

However I may take you up on the offer of a coil just to see if I killed that one.

pull a plug an lead then hold it on a ground(engine or body metal) crank engine an you'll have a good answer if its spark related... most likely going to be coil an not points. if its not cranking at all its probably just the battery. Another thing to try would be tipping a wee bit of petrol or "engine start" into the carb. another thing to check would be battery terminals an the ground to engine an body

Let me know how it goes.. (ive just been through all of this with my cortina and finally got it going perfectly)

ninja edit 69 posts wooooo LOL

Better make my 300th post a good un then.

Was out in the garage cranking it and checking sparks, rrrr rrrr rrrr

Just before the battery got too week to crank her, I notices 'smoke' coming off the neg terminal on the battery.

Burnt my finger on the terminal bolt..

Done it up tight and giving the battery a bit of a charge, will try her at 9pm

Will edit this magical 300th post if she starts. Congrats on 69 posts my friend

edit:

I did a read up on the haynes manual.. perhaps the condensor is buggered. According to mr haynes if the ignition is ON and you manually open the points and there is a 'flash' the condensor is rooted. Thats exactly what happened.

Will go to repco and get a new condensor tomorrow.

if you disagree let me know

I've never seen a negative terminal smoke haha :D almost amazed at that.

Did you get a chance to see if the spark was sparking? well that coil is here if u wana borrow it alas I know little about the distributor sorry can't help there but keep us posted-will check back in the morning

hmm pulled all the plugs, they seemed fine, all had spark

fuel is 3 - 4 weeks old

i will buy a tin of start y bastard in the morning and see how that goes as the engine would fire, but not catch

will also add a tin of new fuel to the tank