touge's ae101 racecar - ‘fab it all from scratch’ project

Rhyscar

Hmm yeah starting to sound like too many guestimates/aligning all the stars to get the maximum potential result with ditching dual vvti. I guess the large amount of tunability is it's biggest advantage over an older engine such as 4age/B18 etc. 

I'm torn between keeping the engine simple and factory and going all out cam-wise. 

• Like 1

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree VVT will be advantageous. I should stop having stupid ideas. 

how does cam selection for a dual vvti head differ from a normal engine? I presume its more about about having no compromises through the rev range than max peak power? Say aim for high cam to work good from 6-10k and make sure the low cam has response and torque from 3-7ish?

There's hardly any info out there about the 2zz and cams other than the stage 1, 2, 3 monkey wrench racing/piper ones which means nothing to me as they don't list specs. It's still going to be in a racecar so if its crap below 3k I don't really care as long as the top and middle of the rev range keeps pulling. 

Rob you mentioned roller rockers - are they normally a requirement of extra lift or revs? or stiffer valve springs? These are the specs for the valvesprings I installed when we built the engine

Seat pressure – 60 lbs @ 38.5mm
Open pressure – 155 lbs @ 26.5mm
Rate – 200 lb/in
Coil bind height – 25mm
Max net lift – 12.5mm

two questions

1. are they adequate?

2. are they aggressive enough to warrant roller rockers?

In other news I recieved some curvy trumpets from Glen in ozzyland. Luckily didn't come with any snakes and spiders. 

_20161127_153505.jpg

Looks like they will work. Going to need a bonnet bulge still but shouldn't be more than 60-70mm. Not going to use gay venty looking thing just run the airbox through the bonnet as it will be carbon anyway and probably look fine. Hopefully after christmas I'll order some carbon and start experimenting. 

• Like 1

All I know is they Rev to about 9500rpm and make 220hp at the fly. A standard engine makes 190hp atw so with a decent motec running it, some race gas, low friction sequential box and 600kg you can imagine the performance they get from them is plausible from a standard cam...

Variable valve timing just gives you some more flexibility with whatever cams you are running. So for instance you can extend the top end power with smaller duration cams or you can help the midrange & idle quality with some larger duration cams. On some VVT engines the cam phasers cannot handle extra valve spring load you need to run with higher rpm/boost builds so you have to look into that. I think the VVT 1JZ's have this issue. 

Very hard to tell what most aftermarket cams are like without trying them or hearing from someone who has uses them. Listed specs are often irrelevant or misleading, and even then there are a whole load of other factors that go into cam design over duration & lift. 

Roller rockers aren't needed, they are just a way to kill the VVL and lose some valvetrain mass on full race builds. They also require a redesigned cam lobe as the follower changes from a slipper pad to the roller. 

Those springs look suitable and should work well with stock parts or some upgraded cams etc. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So it’s probably about time I put an update on this. Since I last posted a lot has changed. I bought a house and got engaged! New shed is grouse and been actually working on the car and other people’s car quite a lot. Namely supercharging a k24 Honda engine. Damn it goes good. 

Progress report; 

rear diffuser side plates folded and fitted. Aim here is to empty the air from the rear tyre wells cleanly and just look cool and be functional-ish

A8F5FAF9-890B-4805-8987-E70D3B13A846.thumb.jpeg.06892800e363ab727e7d4565ac60bd9c.jpeg

Lots of room for activities (got to get a bloody exhaust out here somehow too - but that’s a problem for another day) 

13A59FE3-FA6D-491D-8323-7D64D2E21937.thumb.jpeg.530e91508770cbf6f8588dba59c5b9da.jpeg

Fuel cell mounting is now complete also. Maybe over engineered it a little but it’s not going anywhere in a crash most importantly. Mounted straps to stainless tubing front and rear with bosses welded in. Was the strongest/lightest combo I could think of doing. Pretty glad this job is done it was a pain in the ass

036F92C5-51E3-4598-A517-94B6CB744DF9.thumb.jpeg.afe2b1797e8906aa3fbdb46af3a57544.jpeg

Haven’t finished off the plumbing for the top end of the fuel cell yet. Maybe it should be next on the list?

• Like 8

7 hours ago, BobbyBreeze said:

Pics/deets on blown K24 plz. 

Glad you're getting back into this! Keen to see how it all pans out. Might give me some motivation to get 205gti sorted.. 

It's a K24 with a K20A head and an Eaton M90. Made 200kw at about 6.5psi on a pretty conservative tune - would make far more with water/meth injection, but it's super fun as it is. 

Build thread: https://nzhondas.com/topic/183910-k24k20-dc5-m90-what-could-go-wrong/

Here's a pic from part way through the assembly: 

1304771160042491568.thumb.jpg.6d740f886863624709b683b40f5bda2b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 22/08/2018 at 09:08, BobbyBreeze said:

Pics/deets on blown K24 plz. 

Glad you're getting back into this! Keen to see how it all pans out. Might give me some motivation to get 205gti sorted.. 

Here is said motivation requested 

9B05654D-558E-4E98-AE34-16CF55403455.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...