77Magnum13hundy's 4age+t Magnum discussion

The 77 Magnum 4age project see the pics here ,

Things to contemplate next...

Suspension and upgrading the front brakes (already disc but need to be bigger one feels)

Lowering to suit the 13's does anyone know if i can get a spring kit off the shelf for this viva magnum?

Engine mounts x member mods + gbox xmember

Also the 4age shoud it sit level etc it seems that its kinda offset to the right? Anyone no about that one?

Oh yeh and the motor is first gen 3 rib everyones told be to get a 4agZE set up cos its stronger, in case i turb, i want to point out that i know it wont handle with this motor but yeh 5 lbs would be nice...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, some nasty rust there, good to see you putting new steel in! Will have a nice solid shell when you are done. Keep up the good work.

See here: viewtopic.php?t=12714

Fuel used barina springs to lower his old viva.

Have seen 16v 4ages mounted both flat and slightly leaning towards the exhaust side, not sure which is correct. My old starlet had a 4age mounted damn near level. The 3 rib blocks have smaller big ends so are a bit lighter and make for a nice revvy engine but you are correct in thinking a later model block would be better to handle a bit of boost.

looks like youve got it under control mate, vivas are sweet. for springs I think some holden and bmw springs work, as they are tapered at both ends, so can just cut the ones that are in there (or something). there are a few guys on here who know the ins and outs of vivas so im sure they will pop up.

cant say Im a fan of the new sills....perhaps fold them back in a bit? looks out of place

sweet project though, will be watching closely

looks like youve got it under control mate, vivas are sweet. for springs I think some holden and bmw springs work, as they are tapered at both ends, so can just cut the ones that are in there (or something). there are a few guys on here who know the ins and outs of vivas so im sure they will pop up.

cant say Im a fan of the new sills....perhaps fold them back in a bit? looks out of place

sweet project though, will be watching closely

yeh the sills were one of those things that was going to be a point of difference, i hope they come right once its lowered and i widen the 13's,

they do look better with the yellow paint on it but yeh cheers for your opinion

Hey man, some nasty rust there, good to see you putting new steel in! Will have a nice solid shell when you are done. Keep up the good work.

See here: http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12714

Fuel used barina springs to lower his old viva.

Have seen 16v 4ages mounted both flat and slightly leaning towards the exhaust side, not sure which is correct. My old starlet had a 4age mounted damn near level. The 3 rib blocks have smaller big ends so are a bit lighter and make for a nice revvy engine but you are correct in thinking a later model block would be better to handle a bit of boost.

Bro nice job on the wheels, il be doing the same with mine,do you go to 185 60? 185 70? as inthe pics cheers

Id go as wide as you can fit. I got the wheels on m chevette widened out to 7" and had 185 65 13s on them. Perhaps run something with less profile? wide wheels with balloon tyres can look funny, maybe run 185 60 13s?

depends which look you want really

I had a ugly galant 92 model with some 15's on it after it was lowered it got some 225-60-15 toyos on it which made it baloon like, it filled up the space well cos the 2056515s had heaps of space in there but the only way to know is to have a look with it on eh, 7.5" with 185 70's for now, and then still got some tyre to absorb a bit of the impact when hooning over dodge stuff. Maybe if I go white wall in a 185 70 i will do that and that'l make them look not so bad and take the overall height out of them.

Cool- another Viva. I think its a great combo and I think I would have put a 4age at some point had I not got my 12A turbo so cheap.

See here for another with 4age.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25967

Ask Geoff about what works suspension wise. The front springs are fairly easy but as ya know those rear springs are trickier to find ones that fit. I think geoff has a set of 3.3 victor front hubs and brakes like mine- about as big as you can go on 13"s and should make your car do nose wheelies.

Your sills look similar to the ones on my ex-race car vauxhall 'vulga'. I agree that once its low on wide steels they should look fine.

Kudos to you for saving a rusty Viva btw. Most would scrap it. One day they may even be popular!

I'm watching this one! Keep the updates coming.

alex

hey man cheers for showin your ride yeh i think da ol viva is a nice shell to work with it was 300 so i think that it was a steal, rust wise shit it was snotty as but i hacked into it much to everyones discontent, start it fresh i rekon clean welds and nice plate and then prime it up as you go, my mate in pics did mine he got welding cert so no arguements about who is better welder, i had to fab plates for cunty places but tin snips and a hammer did the trick weld and tap into place tack here tack there, but the lead paint was smelly as you weld into the old shit too, but eh once its done its done good for a few years andthen some. The sills were done by an engineering shop for 70 bucks each side and the guy gave me a heap of plate enough for the rest of the car, oh man the hours and then of course the front guards and matching the guard up in the similar fashin oh i could ramble on as you guys well no these hacks take up time but seeing the results and seeing al ot of others on here thats awesome too, chur

Nice project, 4AGE in the Viva is the best way to go... mine is the blue HB linked above. Some thoughts and experience below for ya.

Suspension - easy

Springs - LC/LJ Torana springs are the same - I've got low LC 6 cyls in mine, you could do low 4 cyls from Lovells and it will be a bit lower with the 4AGE and maybe better for the road. Rears are Torana as well.

Shocks - front just use whatever, they are standard eye-eye shocks, and rears are, funnily enough, same as Torana.

Bushes - you can find most bushes from Nolathane or Proflex. They are different to Toranas in some areas, but Proflex (Superflex) have a listing for most areas of the Viva - they are a bit pricey.

Drop a grand at Stocks and you'll have everything you need...

Engine mounts should be straighforward, I've got a notched sump so it sits further back but the std 4AGE RWD mounts don't reach the x-member so some light fabrication work and you'll be sweet. Mine sits pretty much upright, but as per the others I've also seen some on a lean. I've got a W gearbox and just modified the gearbox x-member slightly, drilled new holes and relocated the x-member along the chassis, but if you're going for road legal/cert then just weld an extension and bracing off the back of the x-member and leave it the oringal location.

For a road going 4AGE Viva, standard 1800 discs are fine, but the calipers are rubbish. Go for a Cortina M16 caliper or Princess 4 pots both of which just bolt up. 4 pots don't fit under all 13" wheels but you can give the outer part of the caliper a light grind (*dodgy*) and ease it a bit without losing too much meat off the caliper.

Keep up the good work.