77Magnum13hundy's 1977 Vauxhall Magnum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting things added to the engine, need to sort out fuel from the back and the exhaust still to be finished before i attempt to fire it up

Does anyone know how the extra injector on the inlet manifold works, does it pulse intermittently or stay on for a few seconds during its usage.

Just curios as it would be cool to have it able to be activated at a certain time, as the link may be able to send a pulse to it using the rpm switch, but still figuring that one out... it may be redundant as the main injectors can be set up however you choose and could just add more gas during start up... ?  did i just answer that myself? 

1458442_10151665150160957_1853370092_n.j

• 1 month later...

Another viva update innit

So between doing the landscaping out the back, working on the 3 daily drivers and this fine specimen of rusty steel i can say i havent given it much love in the last month or so. Oh yeh and doing my bit for organising the wedding stuff in feb.

BIg news was the exhaust is finished... all of it, mounted and everything got a muffler from STA and reused an old nissan muffler. This just means i can start the car up and have it tolerable, not thats its ready to start yet....

1544450_10151778713100957_1074523969_n.j

I can say tho that all them little jobs that are awaiting me are slowly getting sorted...

Massive gains had in the engine bay with the heater now bolted in meaning the water system is all done. 

Fuel system got a flush and the amount of crap that came out of the fuel lines from just siting there was appalling. So attached all of that now to the fuel rail and fitted the filter aswell.

1499362_10151778712895957_1964576482_n.j

So here is a new cluster i made, its the mark 1 version, pretty much just holding the stuff in place so i can attach wires without it getting shit all over it, pretty lights are cool, and the link is now in place....

1011567_10151778712610957_2096280771_n.j

And we now have a semi organised area. Ive got to the stage where the wiring is ready to roll...

1555439_10151778712365957_812108839_n.jp

Going to use the old cluster to house the wiring. Pretty much its simple and i can use the old fuses (4 circuits BATT, IGN, ACC and LIGHTS)

Got a dip switch to install for down by the footwell and also add some relays for the headlights, fan, fuel pump and something else. 

So yeah lets get this done this year ... and get to driving it around FFSakes

• 2 months later...

the wedding/honeymoon is over and done with and garage time is well induced rite now... went out and tidied the wiring up and made power go to switches and things. One power trace to see if the coils had voltage going to them and then i decided to give her a crank, so we have spark... will see exactly where its sparking when i get my timing light back and then hook up the fuel pump to the relay. BUt yeah quite stoked its got spark and that the fancy push button starter thingy works too... 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

tidy up of the engine bay.

10418848_10152071174825957_5507610440714

sussed the radiator out, has fan attached which runs off the link via a relay, still need to get the OG temp sensor working for the dash cluster.

also blow-off valve needed a vacuum link so ran one off the top of the throttle body seems to be much better. moved igniter and relays into one corner and the catch can moved to a suitable place. Few holes to weld up and the engine bay will be complete.Seats are attached properly now

Starts and runs fine now now need to work towards getting the driveline and brakes sorted

still heaps to do...

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

oh hai there, this thing still in my shed, and although i haven't really been that involved or focused on finishing i have been doing other things, house stuff, 2 dailys to sort out, basically i have been occupied with valid reasons for this to not be done yet.

I have put it back together, and now towards the finish line. When i say put it back together i mean ive started to do this...

WP_20151108_002_zpsjkytg2ai.jpg

So this is the back end, where i'l be making the fuel setup go. Before i put the surge setup back in it needs some paint etc...

WP_20151108_001_zpskm8ec7t7.jpg

Also i got one of these when i re-jigged my mortgage, i know its a silly thing to have... so if you need to get your wheels swapped over for skids i will accept donations towards the silly purchase fund

WP_20150926_004_zpsiqpkrzwq.jpg

Hopefully I will see more action in the shed now, bought 6 x fluro lights with 3 bulbs so should be sweet to see after hours now.

Thanks for reading...

• Like 4

• 8 years later...

So been a minute since I've been posting on this one, still at it, however as the saying goes life gets in the way

During lockdown I fiddled with fuel system and retro fitted the old tank with a drop in system from a toyota of similar Era as the engine, this way it can have more room in boot and remove surge tank clutter... 

IMG_20200421_103002.jpg

IMG_20200421_103011.jpg

IMG_20200421_102948.jpg

IMG_20200421_103109.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Also I needed a baffle for cornering so it would not suffer if it gets peddled hard. Since the sender unit was too tall the next step was to create a recess on the bottom side of the tank. I still trimmed the sender down but also needed about 50 mm for an area for fuel to be readily available.

After getting it close took it to radiator shop and they welded it up blocked off a few holes and then I painted insides with fuel tank paint as best as possible to stop further rust

received_999142857154460.jpeg

received_235087067556615.jpeg

received_420949185862165.jpeg

received_129113289125868.jpeg

• Like 7

The original tank had a small hose for fuel delivery and a fuel guage made by everyone's favorite Lucas. The bones of the guage ie variable resistor and the float rod etc were attached to the new sender. I was In 2 minds whether it would be worth using the older Lucas one and was thinking to modify the dash cluster to use a toyota guage and decided no harm in trying to use original dash guages. I had to ensure the float could get a full sweep from e to f and would not foul on the edges of the tank where the recess was. Few bends and changing the orientation of the floats rod had this working a treat. I didn't chuck any gas in it but tied a string and pulled it up once it was in its place. On the other end I mucked about with the dash cluster and bench tested with a battery and the fuel guage came alive. That shiney paint on the tank was the rad shops default and falls off when petrol gets near, for now il just leave it there but will need to sort one day soon. So with that in mind I was keen to then get gas to the front and start the engine that way I would have motivation to excel to be the envy of my former self who sits in garage looking at the thing and fixes dailys while it weeps in silence. So anyways here we are 2 x 3/8 fuel lines haggerdly bolted into chassis rail... crusty brittle fuel line and the underside looking like the hull of an old fisherman's boat. Yeh that won't do. This is where I went into the spiral of thoughts... you haven't gapped the rings yet soon as they expand your pistons are toast, you still haven't got Silvertop rods and that needs to be done... shit... OK engine out box out. Fuel lines out.. might as well attack the underside make it pretty for future me and have not doubt about how the paintwork is or how fuel lines are attached. 

• Like 3

After that it sat for a while and I ignored it in the back of my mind I needed to keep going even if it was just a small thing to contribute. I went to pick a part found a Silvertop engine and got it stripped out for bits I needed. The rest of the engine could be used for a rainy day such as fitting a 20v to my 4af spacio but I digress. I saw a panel beater guy down the road who I wanted to farm the work to, he had someone's shell outside with the tarp half hanging off so didn't think much of that place. Another guy came to my place and yarned for 2 hours about what we could do but he's on the shore and I ain't keen to ship it that far. We basically decided I would do the work and it went from me farming the work out to me committing to proceed myself. Dang. Shit. OK. Supercheap had deals on engine stands so grabbed 2 of them. I bought some 50 x50 3mm wall and decided to make a rotisserie. The carnage follows.

IMG_20231125_120233_226.jpg

received_303802629139854.jpeg

received_2279025442282937.jpeg

received_356369896889514.jpeg

• Like 2

The end result was something that could only be described as it worked. 

The back end would be fixed bolted to some steel plates sandwiched between shell. The front needed to have a pivot so could lower to axle stands for removal later. Here are the results. 

20240210_162844.jpg

20240210_162836.jpg

Messenger_creation_1075870513860233.jpeg

Messenger_creation_852125726653500.jpeg

Messenger_creation_302131129483368.jpeg

IMG-20240213-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20240213-WA0007.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...