77Magnum13hundy's 1977 Vauxhall Magnum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome so i got the flu last wed making thur fri sick as a dog, got a day and a half off, got some wiring done on the car and sourced a few peices for the dizzy only to find out... my ecu is the older type one and will need to run the old type dizzy or swap ecus red top to get the wires right. ah well didnt find that out till i unscrewd the ecu top to inspect the pinouts on the circuit board. ah well. on the hunt for a blue top dizzy now or red top ecu which ever comes first, anybody know where one is handy please PM if ya do.

got an air filter sorted, added some oil, filter and the belt for alt,wpump. got some injector clips cos mine were cracked and not the best looking.

and of course persisted with the wiring...

Photo0016.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So moved house and now set up shed, got the engine out and have sorted out the oil leak from the sump drain. Looking at bracing the firewall a little more with a plate to help strengthen the brake booster area. Beofre i put the engine back in i think il paint it this time round. But first the front end needs some thought, ive been slowly working away on it to create a front lip of sorts, just need something on the bottom to finish it. Plan is to mesh that front peice out and put the IC a bit higher and out of the way. Heres the carnage, and a few shots of the new whare.....paku. Chuur

So this is the before shot

Image0007-2.jpg

And the aftermaff...

Photo0065-1.jpg

And the work area

Photo0066-1.jpg

Photo0067-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

began to strip the engine bay out, purchased a wirewheel for the grinder and some spray-on paint stripper. Thought it may be a good time to add some welds around the chassis rail for added strength bfore i paint it and drop the engine back in.

Photo0079.jpg

For the firewall area the wall is pretti weak so I have opted to add in some 3 mill plate. Having done this allows me to level out the slight angle ov which the booster sat, and adding a few more mills of clearance between the master cylinder and the inlet manifold.... my template for the mock up....

Photo0095.jpg

also have started the side pieces for the front lip, want them to be removable if the guard comes off so prob rivet them in or something... pics to follow...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So not getting much time in on the car lately but trying to keep at it....

Been on two courses at the moment fixing the front end up/engine bay and also working on the engine

Went to picky's avondale walked past a 4age in a 2 dr AE92 and saw the block sitting there stared at it for ages then went and got the trolley and 66 dollars later had me a 7 rib jobby. So the insides dotnlook bad at all, bit of oil build up on the crank area but for a 350,000km shell the engine looked ok. Minimal wear in the bearings. Plan will be to put standy stuff back in and bolt the other head on this one.

Got the bro to weld some sweet welds in the front end, bit of tidy up needed the 3 mm plates in there for good but before i get crazy with drilling holes want to make sure things are lining up etc... heres some pics enuff talk already

the new block

SDC10073.jpg

the old one stripped

SDC10072.jpg

the front end work

SDC10069.jpg

SDC10070.jpg

this part in the middle there needs some more work

SDC10071.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Found a decent hole-saw, a decent cordless drill

Photo0113.jpg

bit of a clean up with a chainsaw file

Photo0115.jpg

bolted in

Photo0114.jpg

now thats all looking good, solid and ready to roll I just have to drill holes and mount pedal box on the other side making sure it doesnt interfere with the brake booster mechanismz

Once I have that done i will hit it with the wire wheel and start sprucing up the engine bay, fix the remainder of the seam welding

(continue further down towards the gbox tunnel areas and tidy up the grot near the heater unit)

and get on to painting the beautiful b!tch

• 3 months later...

Hey so currently I have got this new block honed... Put a new set of bearings in it and slapped the old (newish rings) in aswell. I did the lot for 160 bucks as my fundage is non existant due to new mortgage acc.... boo hoo

One more plate to go in the front end before i get someone to check it over then its on to the paint side of things.

So not too many things to do but at least a while before it'l be wof spec.

Hilux diff idea has been put aside as I'd like to just enjoy the open diff for now.

Still to do, wiring up new link ecu, painting, seat install, redo brakes.... mmmm probly heaps more but thats the main things.

Huge clean up of garage is on the cards... must be done, everytime i do one of these i find bits needed for the build and the puzzle is more complete.

Anyways here is the new block, i painted it, have this colour on the cards for the rest of the shell, sort of turquiose/aquamarine with metallic added spec.

Here is the 4age...

FILE0057.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

first coat of blue print pearl, dark purple in dark places turquiose green in the light areas and blue in the middle, so far its taking my liking... it could be a bit much for this thing but is better than stale yeller colour the old girls been in for the last ages

Photo0160_zps61f182bf.jpg

got some new bushes, didnt quite fit but then they did after some fettling, and so

Photo0161_zps51dfbb11.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest 77magnum13hundy

So a little progress,

On the panel side of things the back wheel arch has needed some attention, also a real pain has been the roof which has little dents on one side the entire length, its been fibreglassed and bogged and still needs one more small skim to sort the last low spots out. Been using cheap spray paint to dust on a top coat then sand back to discover which points are higher, its getting better and i just know if dont get it nice and i paint it like that it'l come out looking shit.

So last weekend I bolted the hubs back on, packed grease into the steering rack and assembled so I could get the front wheels on. Pretty much in a state to get the motor back in. Fitted new cambelt and tensioner to the 4age and she's ready to go...

2013-04-15155405_zpsd646e332.jpg?t=1366059143

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2013-05-11161758_zpsdbc90f0c.jpg?t=13720

Long time no update...

Have had to shorten the inlet manifold by 25mm, was almost fouling on the brake master cylinder and i wasnt happy about the lack of space.

Looking into hubs and if i can put a similar sized hub on these stub axles. I have been told about 4 different ways to change the setup but now im just going to leave it as is and run the wide steels.

Have also still had troubles with my pc not liking the link sw, but i have to start again with this as i have the correct software now. I will need to upgrade to bigger injectors now too as these ones wont cut the mustard. Slowly adding the bits and pieces back on the engine and once this manifold is cleaned up and in a state to be bolted on i will start the wiring side of things again.

Have been in touch with the Link gurus on here and all seems well with the Link so just find some bigger injectors and we should be making progress. 

If i want to run water lines to my turbo where should they be getting feeds from ? Was just going to put some t-pieces in off the heater lines. I guess in the big scheme of things its not going to matter too much... if anyone can shed some light on this i would be grateful...

discussion: 

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=29591

• Like 1

got into the ports with a bastard file and cleaned them up all smooth-like blended as best i could without taking to much meat off the flange side of things... additional sanding to make smoother after

1048774_10151434601695957_442001674_o.jp

inlet was way too close but now its way betterer, i think i got a bit crazy with the wire wheel and cleaned it up... may have opened a can of worms to do the rest...

1064323_10151434601845957_2035624542_o.j

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...