MACKAZ

MACKAZ's '22 Steel Buick ratrod, "Jailbait"

Recommended Posts

Had another go. Still no joy. Now petrol is leaking out of the pump diaphragm  and floats are stuck. Checked pump specs and it seems its nominal rating is compatible with the Holley. Ordered a rebuild kit from Proparts. Strip and rebuild when this arrives. I might have a go at dribble feeding it if Old boy visits today. I will get it to work, it isn't going to beat me

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dribble feed did the job. Had a small fire. Had a lol. Started first pop. It runs good. Time to pull it out and put it in the corner. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I'd have a look and see what was out there in the way of a engine mount. The Falcon ones have terrible angles to try and work with. Perusing Trademe and bingoIMG_20200903_163559.thumb.jpg.258e0c1278dda5acc7324179ea34bc63.jpg

GU Nissan Patrol. 4 bolt bottom one stud top. Perfect. A sterling price of $67 for the pair delivered. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fired it up again. Fiddle with distributor a little bit. Floats a little high. Fiddle with them a little bit. Sat there idling unassisted for two minutes. 45psi of oil pressure at idle. Couple of good full throttle revs, neighbours poking their heads out. Bloody sterling engine. Old man suitably impressed

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st bit of work on this since surgery. Since engine lifter has been repossessed by Dad needed to come up with a solution to get engine and box out again. Made this, its very below average but it workedIMG_20201018_154104.thumb.jpg.e9894a5a7398fb77439b6e6c26818542.jpg

And got it out and gave it a washIMG_20201018_153554.thumb.jpg.9792a5806fc30c064fd4ce5e5989ab81.jpg

Decided to swap out the front spindle assembliesIMG_20201018_153614.thumb.jpg.80a01c38396e1c110c53e63ee3b2bb26.jpg

Yay for vented discsIMG_20201018_154544.thumb.jpg.4e7a985b07ef7a04ab42d73505643edd.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut the remnants of the Holden engine mounts off, and while at it decided to cut the original Mitsubishi ones outIMG_20201018_153640.thumb.jpg.ae4aa322a6625284339e127f35d9fd96.jpg

IMG_20201018_153718.thumb.jpg.48197c8d592f38e4e6a0ca17b4fbd20b.jpg

I will need to reinstate a gusset from spring tower to the chassis. I separated the engine and box and removed the flex plate. I'll source some longer bolts for the flywheel and some for the pressure plate. And it appears Dad may have brokered a swap,  my spare 3 speed for a 5 speed, from what I can gather it's had a cut n shut done on the shifter and cannot be fitted back into a Falcon. 3 speed is in his possession so I'm waiting on him, if not I'll put it back in with one I got

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had Miss13 as an assistant last night. First was punch in a spigot bearing. Part number 6003-2RS for future reference. IMG_20201020_201238.thumb.jpg.1c0a7f70b3c3dae56c5a2d32b0b9c8be.jpg

Bit of hands on experience in the way of roughing up the flywheel. IMG_20201020_190036.thumb.jpg.2caf21a889a79293d2b81b397b0b3bdb.jpg

Fit flywheel, found 2 bolts don't line up! Quick call to Dad to confirm and he has struck it before. Also confirmed in Fordforums. Mark out the two offending holes and slight finesse with a file. Forgot to photograph this stage. I made a couple of tiny packers and put them in the voids to take up any play that may occur. In speedway circles it is common for guys to bore all 6 holes oversize, but this has a tenancy for the flywheel coming loose. This is a better alternative. Gave Miss13 the job of applying Loctite threadlocker to the M10x1.25x30 12.9 capscrews (quoted for future reference. IMG_20201020_190818.thumb.jpg.9930da1e6a4848cae99091ea4789994e.jpg

Torque to 100nM, spec is 83nM, was recommended by Fordforums member as at 83nM he was finding flywheel coming loose. He used this method, (slightly longer capscrews, Loctite and a little more torque) and has had no further issues

IMG_20201020_200712.thumb.jpg.b3651fcd0f71cee36000fc5d96c62473.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of small things done. Tidied the last bits of OEM Mitsi mount off. 

IMG_20201026_124845.thumb.jpg.52acacdac9f978f74588277bfa234d0f.jpg

Performed a little "finessing" on the Patrol mounts to make them fit. IMG_20201026_124555.thumb.jpg.24fa45b132abfbeb67e1715cd0512470.jpg

Drivers side. IMG_20201026_124525.thumb.jpg.1a4f2b59716cfbe9cddf2587bc5d5d49.jpg

Passengers side. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.