Behold.....loooooongbike - and now shit gets fat

ThePog

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be sweet, hopefully can reuse the current bottom bracket assembly or do have new gear?

As an aside, when you were looking into hub gears, did you find if there are any 3 speed sturmey archers being made new?

It's got a brand new bottom bracket already, hopefully the spacings will work ok.

You can get brand new Sturmey Archer stuff from Velo Ideale;

http://www.velo-ideale.com/

He is a good dude to deal with, he is fizzing over longbike as well which is gratifying.

I have a 3 speed SA dynohub in my garage if you are interested, it needs new bearing cones probably, but the AW type ones go for ever so would be good for another hundred years probably.

• 3 weeks later...

So longbike has a friend now, I built this up out of a massive shitty old roadbike I got off TM for a fiddy.

700c rims, postie 5 speed. goes much faster than longbike for some unfathomable reason.

I even built my own wheel for it, which turned out to be piss easy actually.

IMAG0305.jpg

• 1 month later...

BigBike has had all the loving in the world now, just got the frame zinc plated, 8 speed Shimano Alfine hub, mudguards, Brooks saddle, pedals etc.

The zinc is pretty subtle, but looks aws the closer you get when you realise it is not some shit paint. This will never rust now.

Rolling it daily to work now, am feeling the love.

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

Also am building up a single speed out of an old Tarini Tange 2 roadie frame, have gun metalled the bare metal, looks the biz;

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

Probly need to clear coat it tho to make it last longer than 5 mins.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the mostly finished product of the gun metalled Tarini, shit pics but hey. This is my current fav bike in the world. I ended up putting beeswax over the gun metal finish - works amazingly well IMO

003-3.jpg

The bars are Velo Orange Porteurs from Velo Ideale

004-3.jpg

The seat is a very old and fucked Lycette, super comfy tho

006-1.jpg

Boot leather grips, laced with copper wire

008.jpg

It is a bit hard too see but the finish shows the brazing up sweet as

007-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

The current range of functional ladaspeed bikes, longbike is mostly in bits awaiting significant downgrades...

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the latest addition to ladaspeed bicycle mayhem, a 1930something Hercules 28"...

I just chucked the bits I got together for the purposes of awesomeness evaluation, it is scoring a high decile.

The paint has been mostly stripped, and everything will need dismantling and greasing etc.

Plans are to make it look pretty much like this, but fully functional. Not sure what to do about the frame, the options are;

- leave it as it is

- leave it as it is and clear coat

- bare metal and clear coat

- red primer

- actual black enamel

It got stripped because there were apparently about 14 coats of paint on it.

Probably going to be my main tweed run bike....

Hercules010.jpg

Hercules005.jpg

Hercules006.jpg

Hercules007.jpg

Hercules008.jpg

Hercules009.jpg

Simply go to gun city and buy a bottle of gun blue. Apply it to the bare metal while adhering strictly to the instructions... and you probably want to clear coat it afterwards cos it is pretty shit at actual protection, but it does look purty.

And right there in a nutshell sits about 4 hours of in-depth internet research. The bill is in the mail.

So I have stripped the frame right down to bare metal now, just going to run with the beeswax over this for now...

While I was at it I noticed that frame was bent like a fucking banana, the steering tube was at 5 degree angle to the seat tube and sitting about 20mm off to one side.

So I judiciously smacked it with a hammer and pulled things about with my rather substantial heft - now the wheels should at least travel in the same direction.... :lol:

Also I removed a couple of pounds of grease from the frame using a blowtorch to melt it out - 70 years of regreasing the bottom bracket by jamming it full of poo will do that.

Basically all I have to do now is regrease the front axle and bolt it all back together for max win.

Yea I'm gagging fucking better be fine is all I can say...

That came up real nice? Hows the seat? Do those old leather seats go hard overtime?

Any plans for leather wrap on the bars?

Might do something with the bars, not sure what yet tho. The seat is comfy as, as long as you put a few coats of beeswax on them they come up nice. That one is pretty poked though, the leather started tearing when I started to tension it up, but as long as it doesn't rip and plunge the seat stem up my arse I will be happy.