My fancy new car with power windows and a stereo

cute wee gem

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad oil pressure on start up escalated into blown big end. Oil pump looks ok so I'm not really sure why, probably just poor maintenance and too many skids? It was also really tired (275km)

Made a pathetic 144rwhp last november lol and has always been had real bad compression on #3

• 3 weeks later...

So the last week or two I've been doing some work on this shit heap.

Cut out an exhaust flange first

img0943gb.jpg

Budget drill press with CRC as cutting fluid worked a treat.

img0951nm.jpg

All cut out, fitted and ready to port match

img0957vf.jpg

Port matched to head and also to steam pipe size which is a little bigger. Mocked up turbo in the correct position

img1234rf.jpg

img1235q.jpg

Mocked up on the 1j for final fit. While waiting for the steam pipe bends to get here, I cut the plenum off the intake runners.

img1217jf.jpg

Welded on a bit of plate, then cut some trumpets down.

img1250gy.jpg

Welded the trumpets on, most of them warped a little but should be fine. Ported them to the runners.

img1272ot.jpg

img1290a.jpg

img1288yn.jpg

Wasn't as nice looking as I'd hoped, but it'll be covered by the plenum anyway.

Steam pipe has arrived so the next step is to start the merge collector and I also need to buy some 4" aluminium tube for the plenum and a plate for the throttle body mount

Someone donate me a mill and a lathe please, cause this shit takes fucking forever with my shitty tools. I'm also looking at upgrading the compressor size of the turbo to 60mm (up from 54mm inducer) the hot side is 12cm2 (roughly .89 a/r) so that should be sweet for my needs

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little progress this week on the turbo manifold.

dscf6443m.jpg

dscf6447t.jpg

Need to trim #1 as it's only 5mm from the strut tower.

dscf6483o.jpg

#5 is a little short and sharp, but there was no other way to do it as I needed space for the dump pipe.

I'm trying to make a "proper" twin scroll setup, but I'm a little confused as to whether I should go for a big single gate, or twin gates? (space could be an issue) Thoughts?

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Just to show I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.

I gave up on my inlet manifold after lots of hours trying to get it looking good, no matter what I did it was going to sit too high and either foul the bonnet, or just look strange.

So I sold out and Aliexpressed a 1jz manifold for 145nzd shipped. The design is quite good with internal bellmouths etc but the finish work was obviously quite bad, which I was expecting and didn't really bother me as I hacked it up anyway. I started by chopping the runners off it halfway and bent them to line up with the 2jz runners, which I also cut in half and welded on, ported runners and tidied up the chineseness. I then cut the 90mm throttle flange off and welded on a 83mm q45 TB flange at a better angle to suit the low bonnet. Made brackets for throttle cable, -8an fuel rail and welded in injector bosses for the ID1000 injectors.

kv2s.jpg

Made a flange for the Holset and fully welded the exhaust manifold. Please excuse my tig skills

q5oy.jpg

Just started on the wastegate mounting tonight hence the big hole under the flange

6irx.jpg

Lots of purchases made lately after selling the Gemini last year. I'll take some snaps when I start building the engine in a month or 2 or 3 or 12

Looks like this as of tonight.

jb00.jpg

• Like 3

Got one gate mounted up today. These are also aliexpress specials at 130nzd for both shipped. Checked them over and they both seem to work sweet.

I had good success with a china gate on the gem and I'm way too cheap/poor to pay 800+ for a couple of valves. I'll spend the money in more important areas & use an overboost spark cut if they do happen to fail.

Couple of pics from tonight

t5ma.jpg

x12w.jpg

m4en.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...