replacement oil pressure switch 12A- will a generic one do?

yoeddynz

my 12A has a oil pressure gauge sender. I want to replace it with just a oil pressure switch. Its 1/8th bsp(npt?). I'm presuming I can just get any old switch from another engine so long as it fits? Or am i missing something?

What's the most common thread- is it 1/8th?

yea should work , might pay to check what wankels run in oil pressure compared to a piston engine though ( im not sure if they might run more or less , cant see why they wont run the same ) .

but yes most are the thread ive swapped the oil pressure sensor onmine over from 3 different engines now so will work sweet as in terms of that .

Normally its just a light to tell you that you have NO oil pressure rather than LOW oil pressure.

You can order replacement ones with a higher pressure from any auto electrician (they will likely order from Pan Pacific)- you'll just need to assess what thread you have (should be able to determine from an oil pressure switch catalogue)and then order one with the psi you want - 20psi is high but safe and a sensible level providing you don't freak out at the oil pressure light staying on for a while after you fire up the engine.

IMO the 'idiot' light switch/sender should be from another 12A/tanga - otherwise you are just getting a binary reading based on another engine (whatever you stole it from) low pressure tolerance - this light usually means 'pull over right now or ill die' but it might not depending on the car it came from and what your engine is doing

better to run a/the guage (with a light in? or + light in dash to remind you to look at guage?) so you know whats going on. i love the clean look in your car, but oil pressure is a key indicator of engine health (you could replace that other funny guage you had/wanted?)

btw those oil filter sandwich plate things usually have 4 threads - in/out for oil cooler, + guage and light senders, or you* could do a t-junction type thing for light and guage senders?

* im sure this is within your capabilities!

yeah i'm sure in the past I have just wired up the ops light straight to the pressure gauge sender and it will go out on start up. But this one must be stuck as no light even comes on. If i earth the ops lead the light comes on so I know the circuit is fine.

So for now just a sender will do. I might fit a oil pressure gauge at a later date.

Mine all just screws into the rear plate- the oil filter pedestal does nothing else but hold the filter in place.