Nick's pimptastic ute of mid-mounted awesomeness

fuel

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

might put a build thread up on the beemer when i get back to working on it (its sorta 'on hold' while i build the ute). for the moment, heres my current build thread (8 years in the build so far... haha)

http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=165

my tastes have changed a HEAP since starting the beemer and now im not sure whether to just get it going and sell it, or keep building it and go nuts on it (like maybe upgrade the engine and gearbox etc and build it for 800hp... lol)

and heres the paint i used on the wheels...

http://www.porterspaints.co.nz/sp-liquid-iron.html

cheers

nick

Also if you need to find a decent certifier who isn't unreasonable you would do well to contact - Andrew Smith - 108 Cambridge St Levin - 06 368 2928.

Give him a call and let him know what you are doing and he will let you know what he expects of you when it comes time to certify. He is a real nice guy and not at all a cock. He certifies almost every car and bike class.

The other guy is Mark Russell (Junior) from Juniors Kustom Rides who would be closer to you . He is real decent and good to talk to for engineering advice. He would be very helpful with any cert questions you had and needed a person to show.

Problem is I think Junior can only certify up to "1B" and your is definitely in the "1D" class

Hey dude, sweet project, had abit of a laugh at the some video work good stuff. Have you got a certifier on board for a chat or just going to figure it out in the end?

EDIT: shit just looked at that paint link, pretty sweet, copper one looks lush also

no certifier locked down for this one yet, but ive been in discussions for a few months with julian cheer (in the wairarapa) on the beemer project, so i might just go with him on that too (although he has been in and out of hospital for what seems like a year now, so ill have to find out if he's ok again...)

the rear of the chassis looks interesting should be a wicked project how is that subaru box going to hold up with a 1 uz ?

haha probably not too great! as everyone knows, subaru boxes arent the strongest, but ive got what i think is the strongest of the five speeds, its quite a bit bigger than an early sti box i also have. also with the ute being much lighter than a subaru and being 2wd rather than 4wd, it should limit the strain on the gearbox somewhat, which 'should' make it last longer. if i start blowing too many boxes, i could always upgrade to a 6 speed, but we'll see how we go first (5 speed = $300, 6 speed = $3000... haha)

Awesome idea with the Vids mate.

You make me laugh out loud.

+ another vote for the vids ruling!

Nice concept you've got going on though, looking forward to watching it develop.

Nice work buddy on the originality - yell out if you ever need a hand sometime..

Chur

cheers everyone :D

top effort...

Also does karate chop method work on tube steel?

haha maybe! you'd need to practice it a fair bit i reckon. im only an amateur, so stick to the sheetmetal... ;)

Also if you need to find a decent certifier who isn't unreasonable you would do well to contact - Andrew Smith - 108 Cambridge St Levin - 06 368 2928.

Give him a call and let him know what you are doing and he will let you know what he expects of you when it comes time to certify. He is a real nice guy and not at all a cock. He certifies almost every car and bike class.

The other guy is Mark Russell (Junior) from Juniors Kustom Rides who would be closer to you . He is real decent and good to talk to for engineering advice. He would be very helpful with any cert questions you had and needed a person to show.

Problem is I think Junior can only certify up to "1B" and your is definitely in the "1D" class

cheers for the recommendations. as per above, julian is my first option at the moment but ill keep andrew in mind. you're right on the different classes, there's nobody in wellington who can do scratch-built cars or custom suspension :(

na i bought it direct, got it sent down overnight courier. its like $200 for half a litre so the extra few bucks didnt make much difference haha. not sure if anyone in welly has it anyway?

i probably wont rat out the paintjob, but rather go for satin which should look pretty oldschool :)

Ouch!, might just sand bike rack back and let nature do its cause.

Satin will look awsome especially if matched with some period sign writing. Watch this space lol

Gaz

i know aye! only problem is that theres already epic b1600 minitrucks in nz and aussie with signwritten doors and i dont really wanna look like im copying them. what are the chances?! :(

ive got a few ideas for finishing touches though, maybe some pinstriped designs or something. should suit it ok i think :D

My opinion would be it would look amazing in a satin silver with two fore/aft 50-100mm wide stripes over the bonnet, roof, tray, tailgate - but offset down the right hand side.. Some super straight bumpers painted in the rusty paint would be top notch...

The offset stripe would go well if you decided to go with a single massive turbo too.

Keep the outside mostly uncluttered but how good would it look that when you open the doors, bonnet, tray there is a whole lot of amazing details to look at..