Vivaspeed's 1969 HB Viva racing type car - discussion

vivaspeed

But anyway enough of that - nice car. Was the cutting of the firewall really necessary to that extent? The viva's have a massive engine bay once you take out the radiator and shroud, but I guess then it would be sitting too far forward?

What was the whole conversion like, straightforward - or heaps of modifications?

Probably wasn't necessary, but had originally planned to run a 20 valve, and so cut the hole to give clearance for the dizzy and water lines that come out the back of the head. Getting the weight back was also key. Sure makes getting engine in and out very easy :)

It was pretty straightforward, no rocket science here, but heaps of little mods and fabrication that took a lot of time. Mounts, notched sump to fit lower and further back, brake m/cyl, clutch m/cyl, gearbox x-member, driveshaft... everything needed some sort of custom bracket or alteration. Also rewired, ran new fuel and brake lines, fuel cell in boot with pumps etc - that all took time.

To fit a carb'd 16 valve 4AGE in a Viva or Chevette would be really easy in the normal location, I just went a bit OTT.

Wow- just got back from a week in the wilds and first thing I check is oldschool. Great to see not one but two more vivas on here!!! :D

Looks good on the track with the tail out. How low does it sit compared to normal and what springs are you using?

Keep the updates coming! One day maybe... Vivas might just become popular....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
6088937010_4e6df87b35_b.jpg

Awesome pic, thanks Truenotch. Are there event pics up somewhere?

I think that was when I stuffed up my entry to the corner, was in the wrong place, turned in too sharp and the back came around... good fun :D

Nicely shows new DTV door decals, drivers side one I lined up on the top line of the door, not the bottom line so it looks a bit skewed. Passenger side is better though. Vinyl transfers are really crap to put on a car.

New 4AGE went well apart from gremlins that crept in and loosened the exhaust manifold bolts during my runs :oops:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...