ive solved one problem and hit another problem

psapis

I can now see what my dad was always stressing about in the shed. I have solved my problem with the sanding my car down its looking good. But i have hit another. When i bought the car 5days ago started up straight away but 2 days later went to start it and it keeps conking out or it wont kick right over if anyone knows what i mean. I was told i need to get some new points and a condenser so what did i do go get them and put them in. Well thats done but as i was taking the points off i broke the end of the earth wire so went to the shoppy got another end fixed it all up and what happens it still isnt kicking right over. but then i thought if their is no spark their it wont kick over and their ant what do i do. Also i asked myself would the points make the car conk out if it was going? Anyone know? and yes i am a chick and would rather ask for advise then just go try something random on my pride and joy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you set the dwell angle on your new points or just slam them in?

kkkolonial gets upset if you dont clean the contacts with a little something something before installation too, but i think hes a weener.

yea i think i think i set them rite im still getting no spark thou even tryed another coil but she still ant kicking over any other ideas

well this is it my partners the one with these big bright ideas of the points needing to be replaced and the condenser and the coil cheers fords r us for the free coil. But hey come to think of it he ant the best mechanic ive solved alot of our car problems in the past like the rs not starting sometimes him rekning it was the alarm demobliser and i had a titu under the bonet and found it was just a loose wire on the starter motor or when my brother borrowed my battery out of my lancer to start his car and i had losed the remote to the alarm and everytime i opened the car door the alarm kept going off my other half started pulling panels off in the car looking for the fuse box and i pop the bonet and open up the fuse box and the first one i pull out demobilised the alarm crake up imagine the look on his face. Well my dads the one that usually knows whats wrong just hopefully when he visits today he would come out to the other house and have a look aye. Keep posting your ideas on what it could be and i will let you know when and if my father takes a look at it.

theirs no spark from the points at all. tryed the coil that sparks. i havent got the cap piece put back over the points yet, coz trying to get spark from the points and i definetley ant going to let him touch the spark plugs. bugger that he mucked up his own spark plugs up took him months to try do them. my dad came over and it took him 10 minutes to get the car going premo

Did it run before this? Has the dizzy been out? Are you positive the gap is correct on the points?

Are you getting power to the coil, i think i read you said yes?

Easy sure fire to get it to go if power is to it all and gap is correct.

Take dizzy cap off crank engine to about 12-15degrees BTDC then set dizzy so the points are just opening, this will get it running if timiing marks and everything is ok. Remember it fires on #1 every second revolution so don't try an get to fire on the wrong stroke if the dizzy has been out.

yes it did run before this. It was fine one day then the next day day everytime we went to start the car it would want to start just wouldnt kick right over if you know what i mean. When i did get it to start it would just cut out and dye. I know theirs power to the points because i got a shock off it. I forgot to disconnect the battery. Anywho is anyone in new plymouth/waitara area that will be able to stop off and check it out. its got my other half stund he dont know what it could be and well my father was going to do it but he never gets around to finishing his own projects plus he was to busy worried about getting his home kill mutton home.

Ok my next couple are straight forward.

Are you positive you know how to replace points? The reason I ask is if the gap is incorrect it could be firing but failing to start.

Is the condensor hooked up correct?

Is the distributor cap and rotor arm sitting correct, nothing broken like the centre of the cap?

Is there any metal or wire that could short the points from your broken earth?

Add an extra earth from the side of the points to the chassis can sometimes help