Rear brake imbalance. (drums on my mini)

mjrstar

Gave the pistons a few cycles through the range, they didn't seem all that free for a start, then a bleed, and a side to side swap of the pads...

Will go back for a re-check but if that doesn't fix it I'm going make it someone else's problem. 

Also emptied ~200kg of equipment out of the tray. 

Pop the pistons out of the calipers, give it a good clean up with a scotchbrite on the piston and bore.

Carefully pluck the seal out and check there isn't a crud build up in the grove where they sit.

If you're careful you can re use your seals and dust boots. Good blead up and it should be good.

Pushing the pistons back and forward doesn't really remove the crud, it doesn't take much crud to make an imbalance either.

Better living everyone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Valiant said:

Pop the pistons out of the calipers. 

Pushing the pistons back and forward doesn't really remove the crud, it doesn't take much crud to make an imbalance either.

Better living everyone.

For sure, this is a bloody good piece of advice, at this stage I need it next weekend to tow racecar either wof or no wof, so can't afford to immobilise the ute with a leaky cylinder. 

Very tempted to roll the dice on a strip down though... I think when I did my Honda calipers I had quite a fight getting the dust boot to play the game. 

Not helpful but just go to wof place that doesn't use brake rollers.....I had the same issue with my navara (shitty early 90s drums). New everything but couldn't get them balanced. Stopped perfectly fine and no pulling so gave up on brake rollers and got the local garage to wof it, no drama.

• Like 4

Took it back for a re-check, better but still not great...

We talked about possible lsd effect and he then ran it up in single (awd) wheel mode and it came up within 2%..

What I don't know is if he 'helped' this figure with careful pedal pressure or not.. The car pulls up nice and straight as it always has.. 

But whatever it's now future Matt's problem in 365 days time. 

• Like 8