anyone had any experience with Isuzu 4jb1t motors?

- i5oogt -

hey guys

I have a 1990 Isuzu Bighorn with the 4jb1t 2.8 turbo diesel motor.

It had an issue last week where the starter motor solenoid jammed on basically cooking the starter motor and the wiring associated with it (caught fire) i have replaced the wiring and the starter motor.

It now runs and goes well when cold. however when it gets to operating temperature it looses most of its power. you cant hear the turbo spinning up and it throws alot of black smoke out of the exhaust.

im thinking it has cooked a sensor somewhere causing the wastegate to stay open? anyone have any ideas?

cheers

Karl

these seem to breathe a lot of oil.. suggest you pull of the turbo outlet pipe and check that it's not all manked up.

I'm pretty sure the wastegate on those is plumbed straight from the compressor cover so unlikely that there is anything controlling the w/g other than this air feed. the next thing i'd do is chuck in a cheap boost gauge and see if it's still making boost when hot.

Have a quick look at www.clubisuzu.com (i think) and there will be some info on how to work some magic on the oil breather system.

only experience I've had is hooning round in nz new utes with this motor. and doing some parts for them.

often the wastegates jam open on these. god knows why. other shit I've sen wont pertain to you as import motors are belt driven rather than gear.

injectors like to pack a sad causing misses and smoke at idle. aside of that they're sweet shouldn't be much electricery on them. if it's still running EGT, make a shim to go under the valve which blocks the pipe. that could also be a cause (quite common)

also check for frostplugs missing from the manifold. we had a couple of 3 litre ones at work that kept popping them out hah.

I threw a brand new turbo on it 6-8 months ago and cleaned all the lines etc out then at the same time i put the 4jb2t oil return line from the rocker cover back down into the sump to clear any excess oil build up in the head.

I will put a boost gauge in and see if the turbo is doing anything. has near new glow plugs and injectors. It is still running the EGT crap I haven't removed it yet. I was thinking that something associated with it might be causing the problem as the fire was on that side of the engine. all the vacuum hoses are looking tired and a little cracked etc so it will be a good opportunity to get rid of it.

I will try that tomorrow after work and report back

cheers

Karl

cool and ye the mount can be done in situ as tyrone (the getaway driver in snatch) says its a bit tight!!!! slip of the two bolts holding mount the subframe and two bolts on top holding to steel engine mount,jack the engine up on that side and the mount should slide out (just) with a bit of wiggling.