The offroad thread!

DodgySam

I have seen a few people on here have offroad toys.

What do you have, whats done to it, what are you planning on doing next.

I will get round to putting mine up but im in the middle of playing msn tag with Dave 10speed.

brb!

ok...photo edit time!

Its nothing flash but its mainly a bike hauler for when i head to the forest to go riding.

28-12-07_1322.jpg

28-12-07_1315.jpg

All I've done to it is raise the front an inch or so to level out the stance and put in an LSD so it has more traction in the wet and when im on gravel/mud/sand.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what kind of issues/difficulties I will come across if I want to have this kind of bumper on my ute?

65527d1221702291-prerunner-bumper-dmz-nissan-titans2.jpg

I have airbags in the truck so I wont be able to remove the top portion of the bumper but thats fine.

If I dont alter the bumper/airbag triggering system will it be ok as far as certs are concerned?

Image no workey??

I fitted a hilux front bumper and winch to my old v6 pajero, didn’t have any airbags to worry about on that one, there was a bit of stuffing around to make the ends look kosher but it didn’t turn out too bad in the end..

Before:

t1.jpg

truck1.jpg

After

DSCF0074.jpg

Currently the old pajero is living the easy life at my olds farm down in chch I dropped it down there when I started working in auzzie.

I’m thinking I’d like to get a fuel hungry unreliable late 90’s v8 range poser to roll around at 18l/100km with a decent exhaust to get a bit of a rumble on. It would have plenty of room to carry tools for numerous roadside repairs..

I got a 92 Pajero.

12102009016.jpg

bought it for $2000 just over a year ago. Only thing i have changed is put a light bar on the roof with 4 8" spot lights, a respectable sound system that does 138ish Db's and a new marine battery. Also mounted a plate for a removable front towbar.

when i bought it, it had just had the heads done and motor rebuilt. A new LSD in the arse end and locker in the middle.

only use it for fishing and doing donuts on my brothers back lawn at the mo. only done about 1000 kms since i bought it. The All Terrains that are on it are capable of off road, but i find they hold the dirt to much and turn into slicks.

Here it is with the front towbar and a rod holder and bait board i made up for it.

Pajero.jpg

I have had a SIIa land rover which was stock with 700-16 tractor tyres, and also a SIII with 186, parabolic lift leaves, cage and 31x10.50 cooper mud tyres.

Been driving off road since i was old enough to reach the pedals, I might get a diesel disco one day/again and get back into it, but really, coupe life.

They were fucking noisy/bouncy/shitty to work on/crap visibility.

So I wore ear plugs on the open road, installed fxgt seats, roped the brother in to work on it, and walked tracks i knew I wouldn't be able to see from the cab (but you should be doing this in tricky situations anyway)

The old man and I also restored a SIIa but with a 245 hemi and BW35 or torqueflite, i can never remember the trans.

The series LR's are sweet if you are into that era of british shit, but the best deal at the moment would be a diesel auto disco, superior low range to japanese 4wd's and solid diffs with coils. Lift kit and dislocation cones on a disco means wicked articulation.

After driving with an auto off road, I would never go back to a manual, auto is so much smoother and lets you keep both hands on the wheel for longer.

I have a 93 paj swb v6 manual.

glad I didn't get an auto for on the road but offroad i can see it's merits.

have worn roadgoing spec 31s on it. gonna replace them, tweak the front torsions a little and that's about it, once the tyres are finally to the point where i need to replace them.

goes well off road for a sotkc machine. with it being my daily i'm never gonna go too hardout so yuh.

I have a 1990 Isuzu Bighorn Irmscher S LWB. 2.8 Turbo Diesel Manual.

looked around for ages to find one that wasnt rooted.

ended up putting a new turbo on it when i got it. It has 31's. had to get some of those rubber guard extensions for it as they run a 205/70/16 factory

93 nissan pathfinder v6 petrol,old man scored it for free and i decided to mod it,lol.2 inch lift in the bum,front wound up 1 1/2 inches(will wind higher later),intially 31x9.5 mudstars(yokohama under another name),then 31x10.5 mudstars.factory manual vg30e(think early 90s v6 maxima),exedy h.d clutch,factory L.S.D does good 2nd gear donuts nudge bar with spotties,recycled plastic garden edging flares(old man is tight arse,lol)and recovery gear in the boot.just clicked over 200,000kms and keeps going,although the rocker cover gaskets do need replacing now,lol