DJZ's 280ZX of Zilla-ness

OSM Garage

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Needs 1 less turbo and no trumpets.

The motor has a knock, I bought it cheap. It's out of a R32, hopefully it won't be too rooted when I pull it apart, I've got an N1 oil pump for it and some ARP rod bolts. It will be getting new bearings but I don't really want to pull the head off or pull the pistons out, but we'll see what happens.

So cool. Would be lol to retain the gearbox and front shafts, but yeah nah, don't do that.

Looking forward to this build. I would suggest doing a little bit more of a bottom end rebuild if it actually has a knock, because if its not a major yet, it probably will be if you just throw bearings at it then go back to boosting.

Yeah, the bottom end will be getting a bit more of a work over, the crank will need to be ground and the rod more than likely replaced, so I will probably just end up with another crank so I can stay with standard size bearings.

I'm investigating forged pistons and H/I beam rods but that's going to add $$ to the build.

L28 ended up getting split up which is a bit sad, I sold the bottom end and throttle bodies. I'll keep the head for the moment.

A VQ30 would end up pretty much inline with the strut towers, they are pretty awesome motors, my mate has a nearly standard one with a GT3540 that makes 430whp, it's going back for tuning in 2 weeks and will probably end up with 500+

Yeah I don't think it's such a good idea doing it especially when RBs have a well known history of oil supply problems, anyway the crank will more than likely just be replaced with a standard one, looks like I can one for less than getting the rooted crank ground.

Looks like I've found some 2nd hand JE forged pistons and some Tomei Poncams for $1200.

Well I'll be spending more on fixing the motor than I would like so will probably have to stick with the twins for a while, I've heard they are good for 400hp but I'd be happy with as much as the L series was making for the moment.