nothingsfree's Toyota Corolla Ke70

nothingsfree

The factory bonnet and boot are pretty heavy for what they are, not to mention getting hard to find any that are tidy and rust free...

So, decided to take a mould of both with the intention of making them in carbon fibre at some point, once everything else is sorted. So last week, Mike Bamber of Bamber Motorsport (who made the awesome flares) and myself started the process of making the moulds. I needed to get it sorted before this weekend, as Joe/Bubblegoose, is starting the panel and paint!

Because the intention is to make the parts in carbon, the edges of the plug need a border. This will leave a nice clean border around the mould, which the vacuum bag can be stuck to. We just used thin MDF, that we cut up and hot glued around the edges.

g991.jpg

tpd0.jpg

The top of the bonnet and boot had already been waxed a number of times, but we did a few more. Also filled in the wee gap between the border and the edge, to prevent any undercut. Then the plug was sprayed with PVA and left to set.

msx3.jpg
9nkb.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nothingsfree

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hasnt been alot of progress lately, with the car being tucked away, and busy with work etc. But have moved into a new place and now have a garage to keep Kermit in, so progress should pick up again. Has been a couple little things happening, tho nothing particularly exciting... My chin spoiler from AJPS did turn up tho!

2014-05-07_17-34-43_905_zps313b996c.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Moved into new place with a couple friends, and have a secure double garage now. Im waiting to sus out a couple other things to do with the car, so decided to pull the engine back out, as I knew it was going to have to be done sooner or later...

imagejpeg_2_zps540812d0.jpg

Then took it to a mates workshop, pulled it down, annnnnd...

Its fucked.

2014-05-24_14-21-15_280_zpsf1662d5d.jpg

Bought another dud engine, from T Parts in Auckland this time. It was rattley from the first time we fired it up, and some of the wear clearly isnt new. So anyway, on the hunt for another block... The head still seems ok, will test it shortly. But the block has some scoring, the pistons are rubbish, and the non existant thrust bearings means the crank has alot of wear too.

For now, I want to keep the engine fairly standard. Rob from Kelford Cams is currently making up some custom cams for me, and Willie is going to mill the block a little to bump up the compression, other than that, going to try and stick to factory parts, and see what we can get out of it...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Mike at Bamber Motorsport has been busy chipping away getting the last of my fibreglass parts ready.

2014-05-28_18-35-37_883_zps0aaf4393.jpg

The line up of parts needing fixing/modifying. The bumpers need repairs, and the holes filled in, as Im not using the bumper indicators. The ducktail is off a 240z, so needs to be widened to suit the ke70 boot. And the chin spoiler is too wide to fit properly, so needs to be shortened.

Work under way on the chin spoiler, have cut about 40mm out of the centre to get it fitting properly...

2014-05-31_09-23-53_134_zps082e61eb.jpg

• Like 3