azzurro's 1969 FIAT 125 discussion

azzurro

euron8

this 2140 could probalby just keep up with your wagon :wink: still lada engine based :shock:

snoozin

these top ones are some random '125 racing' images from google - funny how even teh interwebs is still a small world!

non-update

played with my new magic metal stick today - i set it up with those 2L'ish disposable cylinders + matching regulator (turned right down), and its ran of gas out already!

probalby 4-5 hours total 'welding' time, incl set up, play around/test beads etc and bit of actual welding (with heaps of mucking around/grinding etc in between) - is that as per normal? it could have a leak as there was some condensation on the underside of the regulator?

if it is normal, i think it would definitly be worth going to a bigger 'D' bottle from BOC, as those disposables are $60 each (i think the BOC is ~$30 a month? + gas + i would need a new regulator $$) - i hear the disposables are relativley low pressure compared to the refillables and so have much less gas in them for their size as well...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey

Go with the 2inch exhaust, dont worry about back pressure as it will have little to no effect on bottom end performance. Those 1.6's love to rev so the bigger the exhaust the more rev happy it will be, especially with sidedrafts.

I've got a 2.5inch mandrel bent exhaust on my 2lt 130tc. Rev's round to 7500rpm quite easy.

Cheers

PS love to see this 125 on the fiat club forum.

bigger is better, that what i wanted to hear!

havnt got sideys yet, only the manifold, but on the lookout for some (hints)

also always increasing metal replacement issues are pushing on road date further and further out and demotivating the wallet opening urge for this bad boy other than for welding wire and flapdiscs. oh and tyres fitted :)

thinking of how boss it will be when done is keeping me going on it, but fuck it seems like ive been under that bastard every weekend for the last year and progress seems to be slowing or going backwards...

• 1 month later...

cheers man,

your 131 will be a weapon

im motivated by hating not being able to drive it (legally), and as this is my first welding project so im not totally over it yet!

its also a good constrast to my work which is not grubby or physical at all

i also want to finish it before my boy gets his licence and claims it - that some time away but as hes 11 now...

after welding, ill get started on doing this (but with better wheels):

dsc02856kd1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

so ive got a set of leafs (leaves?), and a set of factory springs and some new spring specs (from a 125T) to take to a spring shop.

i want the rears reset 2" lower and the springs made to spec (and or compressed?) and a new set of shocks (which would need to be a catalogue job as replacements are NLA)

- who should i go see? snells? how much should i be looking to pay?

tumblrljywozfgum1qfzt55.jpg

azzurro likes this ^

Ridal likes this ^ big time. Did someone say babe magnet? Most probably the woodgrain features and/or sheep skin seat covers. I really like the subtleness of the front lip. Love it how the rear rims are so tucked yet it's still lower in the front. Good motivation, thanks.

Ridal likes this ^ big time. Did someone say babe magnet? Most probably the woodgrain features and/or sheep skin seat covers. I really like the subtleness of the front lip. Love it how the rear rims are so tucked yet it's still lower in the front. Good motivation, thanks.

Really? Isn't it a highly polished/chromed strip? Or am I not seeing it properly?

Don't get me wrong, the car looks awesome, just not convinced on that lip being subtle.

• 2 weeks later...
wait what? you patched it with parts of an old heater?

yeah, one of these bad boys -

154194505full.jpg

was using it for the nice straight 90deg bends it had on all the edges, but its nice and thin (0.8mm) and much easier to bend than the thicker stuff ive been using (1.1mm) everywhere else

haha thats outstanding! gives credibility to the old Clarkson joke about Fiats/Lancias and recycled washing machines.

clarkson can eat a dick.

he is half right tho - in the 60/70/80s italy was still politically (and geographically) close to the eastern bloc, and FIAT was very unionised - they did a deal with russia for steel supply (partly in exchange for industrial expertise/intellectual property - ie fiat 124 (as well as later models) are the base of many VAZ and LADA cars, the 125 was made in Poland for 30 years longer than FIAT did (5 years) etc but russkis used the more rugged/older suspension design and engines from the pre 124, 1200/1500 series). Unfortunately the russian steel was very low in trace elements like zinc, but no doubt full of other shit like melted down tanks and washing machines. in the ladas they used a thicker guage steel so they were stronger (and rusted less). Many FIAT group cars were also exported by ship on top stow (on the top of the containers!) so many overseas markets had rust installed from new.

the steel was also thin (FIAT was going for lightness and rigidity via then new unibody construction techniques) and fiat/lancia/alfa group painting/sealing was notoriously slapdash. all euro cars of the era are rustbuckets to be fair untill audi started galvanizing, and fiat eventually followed suit in the 80's - mark II unos onwards i think.

my car is way worse than it should be cause it was 'repaired' (with a hammer and heaps of bog, then must have had hours & hours of sanding) before being resprayed, and chucked in a shed for 20 years. The bog and underbody goop sealed in the moisture/dirt and leaves and its been sitting and eating its way out since :(, however outside of these messed up bits its pretty minty

Awesome car dude, jelaous

cheers man, hopefully will be rolling soon. im really looking forward to doing a skid/stall/broken diff

cool effort man, Ive got a liking for these. Fiats were manufactured where Im from (Zastava) eg the 128s and 101s. Uncle rolled a brown Polski 125 back in the day and had a 125 special at one stage.

will be good to see this going

• 5 months later...

cheers guys, feels great to be bolting things on it, instead of grinding stuff off it :D

Im also very happy with the colour. was supposed to be a match but is slightly more blue than the old colour which has tunred out much better

apparrently windscreen chrome is same as gemini and torana so that makes it a bit easier to find!

50/50 call on bringing it to kumeu, should i pay $400 to the cops or towards getting it sorted? will be heading in back lanes from muriwai late friday night closely following the van and coffee cart if i do bring it. as a bonus 1000l of milk should sack it out nicely 8)

• 2 months later...

oh man, had exact same thing happen with balljointt separator when i swapped knuckles but it happened on the last one and I was lucky enought to get it out with a hammer in the end.

That said they are faaaaaarking scary/dodgy - or at least those supercheap ones are. now would definitely be happy to pay $$$ for serious bussiness one like facom or whoever makes oem spec tools like that

yeah, will try swapping it once more, and do the double hammer trick at the same time, too avoid winding it up too much - ive got 12 to do!

but if it breaks again im getting my $ back for a good one + throwing it though the front window of supercrap.

was hoping to the suspension all out, disassembled and cleaned up ready for rebushing this week, with an eye to making it to nats, but this shitty tool made out of stale bread has put me back a day and a half of under car time --- FUUUUUUUUU!

swapped BJ splitter for another - Dude wes not going to not swap it as the receipt was more than a year old, so i made him ring head office and had to unleash the bush lawyer till they did. (Not fit for purpose - what good is a ball joint splitter that cant split ball joints!, besides no wear on the teeth etc - id hardly been thrashing it)

Anyway, managed to pop two out (one literally popped out the garage door!) before both teeth broke off on the third. Fuckers were in there good, but thats what they are designed for right? Was using two hammer trick as well to make it last, but the metal they are made from is yuk - its not hard tool steel (like they should be) but dirty diecast shite that reminds me of when me and my bro used to 'smash-up derby' our Matchbox cars. Cheap chinese slag.

p1050481k.jpg

So only 6 more BJ's to go. Sigh.

Will get my $ back tomorrow and order a decent one from BNT i think, unless anyone has another suggestion.

So, I do not reccomend Stanley Tie Rod End Seperators to anyone, thats 3 for about 8 ball joints seperated.

gots me a nice 'jonesway' ball joint sperator from BNT - just from looking at it its obvious its much better quality, and, have popped all the remaining 6 joints without so much as a scratch on it :) Was twice the price of the supercheap one but i bet i dont need to take it back three times/ever.