azzurro's 1969 FIAT 125 discussion

azzurro

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I was at high school a mate had one of these. We used to give him shit all the time that it was a Lada.

Now I think about how cool it actually was, it was mint, think his was a 69 and twin cam, which is incredible in itself, sideys etc...... So unique and rare, he had a bunch of 125T items and two full sets of interior one red one black. I really liked the interior. mean car.

The only problem he had with it was the linkages on the sideys kept coming off or jamming when he nailed it.

Anyway here is a pic.

low125.jpg

Yours looks like a real good example brings back many fond memories of going to the Mount for new years in 1998 :) (indently when this photo was taken - owner, "Anpanman" and me.)

Keep up the good work, no new alloy wheels please!

oh fanx for the comments,

not much progress lately, done all i can without a welder or a parts car while still keeping it mobile.

working on getting both soon, but not sure that the mrs will be happy if there is a 5th car in the driveway, a shiny new man-toy in the garage and no presents for her birthday :queen:

monsoon sheilds?

na, then the front quarter light windows wont work/look funny. i loved them on my vw's in the summer esp with no interior fan. the fan blows good in this, but they are notorious for never quite going 'cold' - the heater matrix valve doesnt close properly or something

haw haw lada

yep its 2107-tastic, but chrome-ier, cam-ier and more italian (but made with russian steel recycled out of captured nazi tanks and bourgeois intellectual's spectacle frames), oh and the new door rubbers and electric fan are from a lada too...

no new wheels

surely you mean "no modern wheels", not, "no more wheels" !

an italian gentleman cannot have too many loafers, and of course the shoes should always match the suit

maybe, if the price is right. rather have the 14x8s x4 tho, they look just right on there = perfect on mine too

how did you get the front springs out of the lada?

do you have an internal spring compressor thingee? can you giz? cbf taking the ball joints out and then how to reinstall the fucker even if it is shorter?

tried 2x sets of different external spring compressors :arrow: but still have lowerage fail and took aaaaages on teh spanner

gaaaaah need FIAT special tool #4123555! but tis unobtainium

RE: springs,

HAH HAH HAH

Getting factory springs in and out is the most cuntest job in the known world.

I do have internal spring compressors and you can borrow them.

Will try find them tomorrow.

Removing top ball joint is easy and makes shit way easier.

Removing swaybat helps also but can be a mission to get back in.

Have my cutties still that may fit, but is epic slam in terms of suspension components but not in terms of sills to ground.

nah 125/lada suspension is different - the lada has 124 suspension with the spring going through thetop arm and weight of the car on the bottom arm - 125 the spring and weight of the car rests on the top arm. for my 124 I made an internal spring compressor from a length of M24 threaded rod + nuts and some steel plate that I found in the scrap bin at work. swaybar wasn't a huge deal to get back in for me?

I found you could use the jack on the hub to compress the spring a bunch first then fit compressor to save on spannering

heres what the fiat 125 service manual says

5389934256_9934b26f84.jpg

P1060607 by theblogoftom

yarh

plan is shock removed (easy), then spring compressor inside + jack under arm for som pre-compression, wind like billy-o = spring removal (hopefully)

then new bushes and paint etc, lowered spring in - happy

the external compressors dont have enough room to capture enuf spring to compress it enough and when tightend tend to walk around to one side, and enven if you could wind them, the shaft would lock one side or other of the spring in against the mount anyway, so def need an internal type.

if EURON8's dont work will have to make a dubtape of fiat special tool A 74112 like testament

• 1 month later...

Sorry for slow post, quake kinda slows things up..

Dad had one of these back in the day - brown with vinyl roof, worked, remember him telling me of a story when he was racing his mate from one city to another, went 4 wide on a passing lane, cleaned past all the other cars kept pulling, wound it off the clock and about 3km later it went bang! Cost him more at the time to rebuild it than buy another complete 125..

Just needs Wards mags and your lowering plans and it'll be sweet!

No roofracks, monsoon shields/gayness pls..

apologies accepted, hope all you & yours is ok

yep, wards would be sweet, but i like the 131R steelies (14inch vs 13inch and same width/offset) at the mo, and have a few other sets of rims too, so cant really justify it at the mo, but they do pop up every now and then

monsoon sheilds - no - thats what front 1/4 windows are for!

roofies - yes, but only when needed for actual holiday type stuff (surfboards/tent etc), not for carting scene 'tat'

everyone ive talked to about this car or who has seen it has a similar story of them (or their dad/uncle/'friend') totally wiping the floor with other cars of the era, or utilising the roomy back seat area for sneaking bases 8)

lowerage is high on the list, but im thinking im gonna end up paying someone to do, as rear leafs need resetting anyway, and them front springs are a real bastard to get out let along getting them back in - also, my commie rear shocks for the front are too fat in diameter - i fitted them in the parts car (no springs) and though i was clever, but they wont fit thru the top hats or up though the wishbones - doh - wil have to take some measurements before grabbing random shocks next time!

plan is to keep it looking standard/low, but with a few period go fast(er) bits/reliability upgrades under the hood for weekend family cruising/holiday missions.

engine/brakes/drivetrain is refreshed, just need to do body work & zorst, then wof,

then low,

then go fast(er)

like this: