azzurro's 1969 FIAT 125 Berlina

azzurro

Despite the new wagoon, i havnt fogotten about this bad boy either, even tho its out in the rain. All this is a bit of an overdue update of little things.

got some nice new tail lights - also painted the scummy bit of alloyw that fills the euro plate holder

fP8b2a.jpg

look at that high potential for electrical conductivity!
Dy1i3c.jpg

Also removed and tidied up the number plate and reverse lights using a combo of good bits from my stash and the fitted ones

shiny and colourful.
jZ8l99.jpg

painted the cam covers too, these are not so colourful

dqGmE9.jpg

Also got another set of rims, these ones ex-Myte128 - i quite like them!

zEmmU4.jpg

thanks to GuyWithAviators for the schweet pics from last months BF meet

VXCcB8.jpg

aIMvxj.jpg

Also got my name pulled in a draw at last months Caffine and Classics to go to a filming of a "Hot Rod TV' episode after this weeks C&C.

Dont know much about the show TBH  its on the way home from this months C&C and they provide lunch and refreshments.

yay, winning!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• azzurro

Top Posters In This Topic

Went up to Waihi on an OS cruise for Pizza, and then snuck off out to Te Arai for a surprisingly good surf.

BNVVbv.jpg

zyvQws.jpg

Car went quite well, which is good becasue OS Drag Day coming up on December 12.

i also took this on the way back from Te Arai to Muriwai, SH16 between Wellsford and Kaukapakapa, then Peak Road to Waimauku is a great drive!

Unfortunately is after the really nice twistly bits but cars running well - Camer is jammed in the headrest so the mic is a bit muffled, so turn it up.

:D

• Like 6

went to OS Drags on saturday, great fun day with plently of variety, and shits and giggles.  pics  talkies

4HHREL.jpg

(^pic shamlessly stolen from Niswhale who posted it in the Dragday pics thread :))

bZnPml.jpg

R4FpJ5.jpg

car ran well, shaved 0.7s off last years times, and was very consistent.

Made it to the third round of DYO, but was pipped by Veggie who eventually won - again!

UfHiZo.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Drag Day was on this Saturday.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53865-oldschool-christmas-tree-drag-day-mark-4-december-10th-meremere/page-24

Unfortunately the 125 was having some electrical issues (deadish battery/no start) so i didn't do any runs and ended up organizing the staging all day. Great spot to watch from, and lots of banter over the head mics. Those dudes see EVERYTHING.

Anyway on the way home it disgraced itself even further with a sudden rear brake lock up on the motorway, and pedal went rock hard. Was hot enough to burn my finger when i touched the caliper.

Couple of OSGCs on the way back to town also stopped to see if i was ok, and i ended up a little tipsy by the time the tow turned up, by which time not only had the brake had freed itself up but the car started up and drove onto the truck  :scratch:

4BIFdl.jpg

IpeqJo.jpg

I suspect either the caliper handbrake mech or something hydraulic up stream of it, as it has sometimes been slow to release when I haven't driven it for a while before (a few pulls on the hand brake loosen it up), but this was the first time it has happened while driving, and the first time i could feel it in the pedal  (ie just fine then *on*, and I hadnt even touched the brake!)

I pulled the offending caliper off today, nothing obviously untoward, so re greased the slides and boshed it back together. The brakes have been a bit odd lately, and as I already have a brake line kit incoming as the hard lines are getting a bit rusty, I will do a big brake refresh (new master, pads and rotors, and swap out the booster) at the same time.

Silly old bugger is getting jealous of the wagon i think. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Now the 2300 is pretty much done, it can move outside.

so the 125 can get some long overdue attention. Since the shameful display on drag day (the brakes incident on the motorway) Its been started and moved around a bit but not driven anywhere.

I have been collecting bits for a brake refresh tho. Fronts seem fine so concentrating on the rear.

Most of the hoses etc from ladapower.com,  hard line set from autoricambi.us and diff seal, pads, discs, regulator and master from fiatparts.co.nz

Started with dropping this, oh yeah, the diff pinion seal is leaking too...

k93b8y.jpg

hard brake lines are definitely grotty and a bit rusty, got a full set to suit a 124 spider cheap from the states - so far so good.

W32cTp.jpg

bench bleeding the new master with old diff lines worked out very well!

I had to replace the hoses with slightly longer ones as the new master has top entry tangs on it instead of side ones like the old one

ulcvRC.jpg

cleaned out the reservoirs and greased the pedal and booster pivots, new master on old booster, new vacuum hose to inlet manifold and one way valve thing. I should probably change out the front hard lines but they are actually fine, as were the rear ones to be fair. Maybe one day...

kxqhkz.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

So, ive extended the garage, its a shelter station modfied to suit the spot with a tarp instead - the trademe ad under-guesstimated the measurements but the mods i made meanthe van will fit under it and i can still put it up normally with the proper cover in some other place, one day.

Not 100% weather proof but 100% better than nothing

7xnlww.jpg

ikyer3.jpg

Anyways, 125 has sat ^there ever since the last update, but i have picked a few scabs, starting from the front:

KF6ZZW.jpg

uakLkW.jpg

YwEefb.jpg

kEzSVh.jpg

F35pIg.jpg

• Like 4

Drivers door never quite fit right and has bubbles in front and rear corners, drivers rear door looks fine*

*apart from this, from half way up the flippin window frame. What the hell, i dont even?!?

yjhFdO.jpg

The solution for these two doors are the best of the spares i have, which look pretty good except the door swing stops in the spare doors are the later 'lada' style which is all together better apart from the mods needed to my cars old style pillar mount (or the doors) to make them work together. Probably the doors...

Anyway sorting the doors is now at the bottom of the list.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

spent the last month getting this together and ready to paint. 

I flippin hate sanding

CiVx4e.jpg

Made the door return real purdy
MxfPps.jpg

and the front bit
GvrC57.jpg

Got a new paint gun for the top coat to replace my old one that has started spitting. $18 delivered. Flash as.
pez4bU.jpg

Tried it out on the shuts 
WPXlsb.jpg

So i could put the door on for the first time in a long time
GNTDYl.jpg

So i could notice this, and spend a few more evening sorting that till this weekend 
NGTNWc.jpg

BOOM
do4vKe.jpg

Love the contrast 
1W1pS2.jpg

Most of it turned out as good as ive ever done, or could expect for doing it in a dusty garage with the cheapest tools

but, i had a new issue ive not had (well, nowhere near as bad) ,  i got a fair few fisheyes, but all in section that followed one of my passes.

Maybe my compressor coughed up a lugie, or maybe the wax and grease hadn't dried right off? .

Either way Ill have the repaint that bit for sure, bums.
EGjTWA.jpg

Suggestions to prevent reoccurance?

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...