Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

Hey dude your motor has 2nd gen (single dizzy) rx3 housings, not rx4 as you mentioned in your thread. Finding one with the original mazda writing might be a bit of a challange but they do pop up from time to time.

The motor looks like its in reasonable condition, new rear main seal recently etc, just get new apex springs etc when you rebuild and you should be fine

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep going Alex... don't give up!

My Viva was banished to the back yard several times over the years when things didn't go well (or went catastrophically bad). Then I'd play with my Toyotas for a while, get bored, and haul the Viva back into the shed.

Don't see it as a set back, see it as an opportunity to get a better, stronger, faster rotor...

How about next weekend to ship that Yellow beast? I'll book the ferry if you can deliver it?

Oh I would if it were easy. But it would involve a fair bit of work as the 13b is 20mm longer- I should have allowed for a 13b eh...

So I'm on a mission asking all people I know who are or were into rotaries if they have any old plates/housings. I've been looking on trade me but really scared to just buy another engine only too discover it has major faults. I would rather buy an engine in bits so I can inspect the housings etc first.

Something will turn up I'm sure. :)

Didn't Danger have a whole lot of new/near new housings/plates..

You should ackshally chuck a wanted thread up here - lots of Rotaheads prowl this site and most probably won't read build threads unless it starts with RX something

Oh I would if it were easy. But it would involve a fair bit of work as the 13b is 20mm longer- I should have allowed for a 13b eh...

So I'm on a mission asking all people I know who are or were into rotaries if they have any old plates/housings. I've been looking on trade me but really scared to just buy another engine only too discover it has major faults. I would rather buy an engine in bits so I can inspect the housings etc first.

Something will turn up I'm sure. :)

Oh duh, was thinking you had a 13B in there already, my bad - blame lack of sleep!

In so far as I can remember, housings bolt patterns are all the same, .. odd.

Hey, looking at the circular scoring on the rotor housings I'd take a guess that someones had that engine apart and has tried to polish the housing with a wire brush attachment on an angle grinder, those marks have no earthly place being there. Those rotor housings are fubar though. The end and center plates might be surface-able (machine costs though).

If I were you, I'd re-assemble it and use it as a dummy motor until you can get a hold of another engine, I'd say that ones beyond repair.

Re: scoring, I struggle to understand how a rotor could possibly wander that much, was the crank put in with old bearings or something ?? the corner (apex) seals wouldnt have done that, there arent that wide, thats the rotor rubbing against the center plate (wtf)

I wonder if someones had this engine apart and royally f__ked up a freshen up, perhaps they re-used the old housing seals,

Cheers for the link.

Yeah I counted the bottom bolts. Definitely two- in fact three different bolt patterns.

I just dont know why the housing have been wire brushed. I'm guessing an attempt to help new tips bed in? The guy who rebuilt it has the oldest mazda dealership in the UK and has rebuilt many many motors- but that doesnt mean he does a good job. He maybe has some 'old' ideas about rebuilds and was thinking 'well if you hone a cylinder bore to help new rings bed in then why not the same for a rotary. I'm not that fussed as I only paid $100 for a complete engine, turbo, carb, starter, box, propshaft etc- the whole lot. I just want to see the car go but as I'm spending all my savings (not a dole bludger!) I have a budget to stick to.

I think Id like to rebuild it around RX7 12a housings/plates as it may be easier to find parts for in the future if I fuck something? At least the rotors/tips/side seals/corner seals all look good. E shaft is good too. bearings were good as well.

The engine in link above- I'm guessing its an older 12A with twin side seals and the funny 3 hole exhaust ports?

Yeah I know this place is good. I like it. But whenpeople ask me what I do and i reply with ' been busy the last year building a house truck and putting a rotary into a viva they roll I just know what some people must think eh.I would use the dole if I had too but it suits me better to be completely free from any work, have my own time to work and just spend my savings. But I'm certainly looking forwards to be back working and earning rather than whittling my savings away! Then I can also afford to spend money on the Viva (and petrol to feed its hunger)

Anyway- back to rotaries... are there any rotary wreckers I can try- like mazda wreckers?

yeah thinking about it im pretty sure ive seen before you can just miss the extra throughbolt out

and the only thing that matters is watching out you get the waterseals in the plates or housings

if you get housings with grooves and plates with grooves you can use 2 sets of waterseals, just whatever situation that you have no grooves in plates and no grooves in housings is no good

wow that was like a bad tongue twister. :-) Cool if i can miss out one bolt! But it looked like some holes were in a different position when i compared my plates to the photos in rx7 haynes manual. Maybe its just an optical illusion.

Look on ausrotary, there is discussion about it, i havent pkayed with tjese things for ages iirc the waterseal thing may only be a 13b thing, ive been drinking but from memory its down on the lower leg by the oil pan and not in the middle of the water gallery??? Ausrotary at anyrate