Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

Yeah thats better. And yeah- the car does sink somewhat when I hop on and do my best "Am I making you feel horny" pose. I best watch my pie intake..

Any good tips on how to clean off carbon deposits on plugs? Anything I can spray on or dip them in that will clean them as I have read recently that its now considered a bad idea to wire brush plugs clean.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A sand blaster would do the best job - although those plugs don't look all that bad tbh.

However you could always give them a rough scrub with a wire brush to knock off any scale - dip the end of them in whitespirits and then set fire to the tip..

Be careful though - don't want nothing to happen to them magic hands of yours..

They aint overly soiled but again I have not done many miles in the car really. Mainly town miles. These are the correct heat range for a standard 12A. My engine has maybe 50bhp more at 5 psi of boost so not a lot. My worry is that if I go one range colder then I'll get more fouling. I'll start a new thread in techy section as I'm also thinking that my old old leads should go in the bin... but all these posh extra thick leads out there?....

Took car out earlier with cleaned plugs and caned it. Went well. No issues. Got to bros, removed plugs- they looked if anything to lean?...

010120121011.jpg

On boost the wideband reads between 15~16 afr. To lean eh. I'll wind jet down another 1/4 turn.

Found this local advert. Some young fella wants a bitch to cruise in his rotang with him eh?....

19122011964.jpg

15-16 way too lean. 11 -12 under full boost. is where you'l want to be. will gain a stack of power richening it up form that lean. around 14afr is where will most likely have a meltdown, so avoid running around there on boost. cruise is fine tho, would aim for around 15 on light throttle cruise

:shock: 11- 12. Wow. Yeah I'm way off the mark! Something aint right. My needle must be upside down? :? I cant see how I can get that rich on wot with out it being mega rich every where else.

I'm gonna pop over to the turbo mini/metro boys and see what they do....

:shock: 11- 12. Wow. Yeah I'm way off the mark! Something aint right. My needle must be upside down? :? I cant see how I can get that rich on wot with out it being mega rich every where else..

sounds like you need to whip out the file and take a few thou off the needle on the bottom 2/3rds

Do I turn you on Dave?.... We need to submit the photos to local paper but the one of me might be a bit too risque for Blenheim.

I could sand my needle down like this fella....

http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/inde ... tid=159683

But no. I think yeah- just get a spare and sand the end.

Today I wound the mixture screw in another 1/4 turn. Better. Less of that knock sound on hard boost up a hill. I will make it richer still as it was still showing 14. I need to get into the low 12's....

It would have to be thinner every where than my current one. Unless you fatter to give me plenty of allowance to balls it up when it comes to sanding a new profile..?

Yeah I have wondered about the premix. I run 100:1. Apparently this ratio doesn't effect the oxygen sensor by much. I need to find more people running rotaries with wideband gauges.

I should also re-calibrate it which I have not yet done since doing the initial fitting. It always reads consistently but maybe its always consistently out....

It would have to be thinner every where than my current one. Unless you fatter to give me plenty of allowance to balls it up when it comes to sanding a new profile..?

Yeah I have wondered about the premix. I run 100:1. Apparently this ratio doesn't effect the oxygen sensor by much. I need to find more people running rotaries with wideband gauges.

I should also re-calibrate it which I have not yet done since doing the initial fitting. It always reads consistently but maybe its always consistently out....

sanding them takes a lil sand and try and repeat. and if you over sand you can always build them up with some solder and a lil propane torch.

Cheers-Its getting more fun to drive as I get used to the handling and usual 'old car quirks'.

I have priced up some carpet today. About $260inc will cover the cost of 1.8 x 1.8m red automotive carpet and getting them to bind the floor mats after I have cut it all to shape. That includes them putting a heel mat in place too. Does that seem OK ? I have never priced up carpet. I think the carpet was 120 alone plus gst.

This is a UK price as a guide.. Double the prices. Obviously cant get them there as frieght would be a killer.

http://www.classic-car-carpets.co.uk/pr ... 297&page=1

There is a outfit selling sets on trademe for $310 but I have heard bad things about the fit.

Yeah they are the ones I have heard bad things- like poor fits. Granted I have only heard that from 2 people. They list a viva set. I'll send them a question or two. They also list carpet off a roll similar to what I looked at today for a bit cheaper too.

Cheers-Its getting more fun to drive as I get used to the handling and usual 'old car quirks'.

I have priced up some carpet today. About $260inc will cover the cost of 1.8 x 1.8m red automotive carpet and getting them to bind the floor mats after I have cut it all to shape. That includes them putting a heel mat in place too. Does that seem OK ? I have never priced up carpet. I think the carpet was 120 alone plus gst.

id do that. ive just fitted an autodec carpet in my heap. it doesnt fit the floor very well around the tunnel- the tunnel is big up by the firewall and small near the seat. im no expert auto upholsterer but i cant see how it would ever fit nicely as its only got a couple of stitched cuts in it to get it to match the floor shape- it really needs a cut and stitch right up the middle to tighten it up at the small part of the tunnel. also it doesnt fit very well around the rear of the back footwells

the guy at autodec was good to deal with, ill give him that