Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Alex - you mentioned a concern about oils in the V6

Mazda are now recommending their golden oil - in their motors in NZ (as you would expect them to do :-) )

However the local parts guys were saying that through Aussie and NZ - they have seen a huge reduction in the number of warranty related issues - by going to the oil - from the locally branded "Mazda" oil - which I think may have been a Castrol/BP brew.

Perhaps something to think about.....

We are running this in the MX5

Cheers. Oil is such a long winded topic. So many opinions.

Ive been researching oil viscosities for my engine and have finally decided to stick with 5-30 I have been running. I was using Total 'something' 5000 we have at work. Just a decent mineral oil. Really quietened down the followers compared to the magnatec 40 weight I first used.

This time with this engine, considering its clean new build and higher stresses on things like the peakier cams and CR, I will be using Valvoline full synthetic. Repco have it going cheap on sale so why not.

still love the look of the intake plenum - that is a work of art!!. I do have a question about shimming the oil pressure relief, surely this only changes the relief pressure when oil is cold, it won't be open at say hot idle where oil pressure is of concern.

Or am I missing something here?

Gutted for you mate, i had something similar in my P10 primera, yeah i know its just a primera, but its 6 speed manual and turbo, and ive had it for 6 years.  Had a 4wd run into the back of me at the lights, and she didnt really give a shit, but i basically havent driven it much since, and was at panel beaters for 3 weeks, so its fixed and has a really nice rear bumper now, even tho the rest of the car still looks average. 

Been loving following your thread, such great engineering and a awesome build.  Hang in there, it will be fixed and awesome again!

Oh cool! Yeah if you can check out what you have and get back to me. Insurance is paying and if I cant locate a nice one then this one was going to get straightened and re-chromed. Chroming would cost at least a grand I would have thought eh?

I need to look through my spare rear lights and see if any are decent too.

Yep it was not that long ago that I replaced the whole valance. The old one was rotten. Hopefully the dent puller will pull it out as they are double skinned and you cant get in behind.

Edit; cheers R3spct. This fella was really embarrassed and shocked. He didnt give a shit about his car and couldnt believe he hit a classic (well he should have kept his distance then!) I have told him I hope he learns a lesson from this...

No worries Alex, I'll find one for you.  I think they might be up at the old man's but could freight one.  I know the original one from my blue Viva is very tidy but it now has fibreglass bumpers so it's going spare.

I'll write out an invoice from Vivaspeed Viva Spares and Repairs for $1,000 if the insurance company is paying ;)

• Like 2

lordy fuck fuck thats not needed what a pain in the arse.where did that happen.

fraid i dont have a tidy viva bumper to spare but i could see what the one on petes spares car is like he is away at the moment but will txt him to see if he is cool with me going up to check.

Cheers guys.

Dave- it happened right on that corner of waimea road near Gourdie automotibve. The fella had been tailgating me for about a minute- busy school traffic everywhere so not like anyone was going to go any faster. I remember looking at him in the mirror and thinking 'that fella is way too close, what a dick'

I have kept some pug plastic that was stuck under the bumper.

Cheers Geoff- yeah if one of your bumpers is mint then I might just grab it from you. I know after having tried to straighten bumpers in the past that its bloody tricky to get them right. Plus these Viva bumpers have that tricky double bend/curve in them.

On a positive note the engine is running sweet and is so quick. Still leaks a bit of oil from the cam covers but that what you get when you put a leak free engine into a pommie car....