1973gto 1973 mitsubishi gto

gto1973

hey all my name is Jesse. This is the car when I bought it and am now in the slow process of removing the rust. I have more pictures of rust removal and will post them later.

link to my discussion board

after I bought my car I seen a rear half of a gto sitting outside a garage rust free??? so I bought it thinking I was only getting the car I ended up with the half full interior (excluding front seats

) and set of chrome a gearbox diff and badges so was pleased with that ;D dscf0243b.jpg

I have been hacking pieces of for my car as you can see :P

extras sorry couldnt figure out how to make it stay rotated 789uz.jpg

Repairing rust in rear of pillar

cutting rust out

dscf0289sc.jpg

welding of inner piece

dscf0292j.jpg

welding of skin

dscf0293a.jpg

ready for a good sand

dscf0295k.jpg

repairing rust in rear lefthand arch

the rust

783e.jpg

784s.jpg

rust repairs from donar car

dscf0240m.jpg

165zv.jpg

and present time

dscf0297j.jpg

repair of lights

I have already cut the lights out and dnt have any before pics, but I do have the ol surrounds so here they are.

dscf0245q.jpg

and the new 1s in place ;D

782y.jpg781j.jpg780e.jpg

all primed up an looking solid

170e.jpgdscf0291f.jpg

cutting out rust in right hand side

dscf0242.jpg

rust

dscf02460.jpg

more to come on this side hasnt come out the best but hope bit of filler and elbow grease will make it

look good again

ah so this is the mess! its had both sides of arches welded up

dscf0008oe.jpg

couple of days ago i started on the doors done the easy one 1st not finished yet but heres the progress on them

this is what i cut out

dscf0451md.jpg

an the new piece tacked in

dscf0450d.jpg

dscf0449o.jpg

door off welded up an then ground

dscf0452m.jpg

dscf0007fw.jpg

here is a photo of the main pieces of rust iv cut out

dscf0024e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ohk so thanks to dwlee and his photos was going through spare parts that i got with my half gto and seen these two things an thought they looked familiar i dont think they are for my car but im sure i can fab up some brackets for them

couple of questions does anyone know what would be required for cert an stuff if i was to put these on my car and would i make them sit in there nuetral position at its ride height? does anyone know what they are off?

dscf00192.jpg

dscf00202.jpg

so cant really be bothered with panel work atm gona save some funds for r1 carbs

but have been polishing my rocker cover today cut some bits off i dont need lol

gona take it to work tomorrow and weld over some bits (make it easier to polish and hopfully look better)

i see people have clear coated or that clear powder coated afterwards id like to know what

works best, looks the best and if anyone has an approximate cost for powder coating thanks.

anyways heres what iv done to it so far

dscf002111111123.jpg

dscf00252.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

sop rogress has been made on the rear half of the car just about finished the rear half read for final prime (thanks to the old man for helpn out) gna start on the repairs on the right hand door.

can anyone give me an aprox cost for fibre glass guards? i have emailed far but have nt got a price from them yet

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

done 6 hrs between me and the oldman today on the gto put the door back on the left side lined it upp ready for finishing and worked on left guard have got one piece to weld on then ready to go bak on car to be finished

• 5 years later...