Valiants Big Block AP5

Valiant

awesome AP5. would you mind telling me the major challenges fitting this big block in? look forward to hearing back. thanks.

Thanks.

it wasn't overly hard looking back on it. In saying that If I did it again I'd do it a bit differently.

I had to notch the subframe so the oil filter and pump would fit. 

Cut the front part of the trans tunnel and a bit of the fire wall.

I've used stock manifolds swapped side for side to clear the steering box.

the motor is offset to the left to clear the steering box.

I don't know how you would get on with a tall deck (440 etc) they are an inch taller on both sides.

I'm sure it could be done.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

do i have a deal for you!!!!!!

wona buy my spare ap5 shell and a few of my extra parts and build one yourself :)

yeah mate, i'm very interested. flick me some pics and detail. contact@malkuper.com - look forward to hearing from you.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey @Valiant. Nooice car.  I chased high temps in my 440 for quite a while. Have a 4 core copper radiator, similar cam etc to you. 3.73 gearing in a 8.8" Changed to a MrGasket thermostat that failed after 3 heat cycles(Hint, read the Fkn review BEFORE you buy, lad). Fixed it now I reckon, 10 mins idling in Park in Nelsons glorious midday summer sun OK. ( twin china fans.)

Biggest gains. Go to www.Flowkoolerwaterpumps.com for one of their waterpumps at about $120 USD, made for bigger flow at reduced R.P.M. and a proper RobertShaw branded balanced thermostat from the same place.(370 series? Don't quote me on that) These balanced thermostats are more of a "sleeve style than a "poppet"  type and on my pump housing at least they kinda seal on a second part of the housing 3/4" down with the sleeve part. they circulate the water right round the block when warming up instead of the water just running round and round the bypass. Thus no hot-spots at the back of the block. they were designed for when the big 4-5 tonne motorhomes came out with 440s to aid cooling when lugging up hills etc. A high volume water pump can actually push enough water that a normal poppet thermostat will struggle to open against the pressure, hence the balanced thermostat needing fitted with the pump as a pair. These 2 things, fitted together transformed it. No more anxious coming up to the lights, how far will the needle climb malarkey. Good luck.

• Like 5

@moparmuppet, thanks for the tips there, from memory it has a flowkooler water pump, I cant remember what thermostat I put in it, If the problem persists with the cooler moved I'll get one like you recommended. I'm really hopeful that moving the cooler will be the ticket, once I have a battery and go for a drive I'll post the result!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...