Smoky 2L-TE Turbo Diesel

shavenYak

My parents have a Hiace Supercustom with a 2L-TE Turbo Diesel.

Me and my brother are getting it ready to go back on the road, it's been sitting since last summer. It was quite smoky when it was last running, especially on cold startup. We thought it might be the glowplugs, but after cleaning them up and testing them they seem sweet, and the engine is still smoky. It does clear up a bit once it's warmed up, but there's quite a bit when you race the engine. I understand that diesels ARE inherently a bit smoky, but would like to reduce it as much as poss.

Workshop manual suggests injector nozzles or injector timing could be the problem. Neither of us have much turbo or diesel experience. Any ideas / suggestions appreciated.

Also sorted out some of the wiring around the glowplugs as it's had the engine replaced at some stage and whoever did it did a very messy job. (eg twisted wires with elec tape)

There is a thick cable going to the glow plug power rail, and then there is also a light gauge cable going to the same rail. What does this little cable do? Seemed to start and run ok without it but I'd like to know what it does. Anyone know? Will try to get photos tomorrow.

thanks!

what colour smoke?

i had a surf that smoked quite bad(white ish blue)mainly on acceleration from idle and cold start up, put in a catch can and it sorted it, cos it had blow by..

my tranny van was smoking thick black smoke cos of over fuelling, adjusted the fuel and shes sweet..

what colour smoke?

i had a surf that smoked quite bad(white ish blue)mainly on acceleration from idle and cold start up, put in a catch can and it sorted it, cos it had blow by..

my tranny van was smoking thick black smoke cos of over fuelling, adjusted the fuel and shes sweet..

Not blue, and it's not going through any oil.

It's mainly sooty black, but when you rev it changes to white, then black.

The manual says if injection timing is the problem then black indicates advanced timing, white = retarded, but it doesn't mention getting both black and white!

see if you can pick up a set of injectors for it... i take it its a 1kz..

these go fucking good when theyr going....should be a heap around that are getting wrecked

try winding back the fuel a bit until it stops smoking,get its wof, then wind it back up until you get it sorted

Is it 2L-T or TE? TE means it has an electronic pump and you can't adjust it.

But really, i wouldn't go fiddling with the pump just yet. Get those injectors cleaned.

If the glowplugs have not been replaced, they are likely pretty well past their best, although will still mildly work.

Make sure all the connections on the power rail for the glowplugs are tight, sorry i'm not sure i remember seeing a small wire on mine.

How long do the glowplugs stay on for?

Is it 2L-T or TE? TE means it has an electronic pump and you can't adjust it.

But really, i wouldn't go fiddling with the pump just yet. Get those injectors cleaned.

If the glowplugs have not been replaced, they are likely pretty well past their best, although will still mildly work.

Make sure all the connections on the power rail for the glowplugs are tight, sorry i'm not sure i remember seeing a small wire on mine.

How long do the glowplugs stay on for?

Yeah it's a 2LTE.

The glowplugs get power for about 10 seconds, then the car beeps and they turn off.

I'll take some photos of the wire tomorrow as well.

From memory I think the thick wires go to the top of the manifold with an insulator separating them, only the thin wire goes to the glow rail. There is a similar setup underneath the manifold that is real hard to get at, that I think is an afterglow setup.

Either way the glows should stay on after the car is started, be sure to get the glow system correct before turning to injectors, then to tight tappets etc.

2l-te's are a tricky one the pumps are not to be touched!!!

i've had a 2l-te surf and it did smoke alot i found it was the wastegate all coked up and

not closing completely i added two 2.5mm washers behind the actuator bracket to apply some more pressure

and it subsequently burnt off what i couldn't get with a scraper.

also went way better afterwards.