ladaspeeds shiny bike projects

ThePog

So we had a competition at work to build the most stylish single speed we could, the only rules were steel frame and single speed. Quite frankly I didn't have the money to do a serious job as the other two boys did, but i am pretty happy with the results....

Started with this - $5 off TM;

IMAG0103.jpg

And ended with this after a month and a very fruitful trip to the Macleans Island swapmeet. Has had every bearing in it regreased, and it rides as slick as... sort of went for the 'it's 1945 and I will build a bike out of whatever is in my garage/army rat rod' ethos.

SingleSpeed01.jpg

SingleSpeed02.jpg

Brake lever is the old gear lever, couldn't find a nice one so decided on some reappropriation...

SingleSpeed03.jpg

An old Last Footwear Company boot as the seat, threaded with copper wire courtesy of horse25 ( 8) )

SingleSpeed04.jpg

SingleSpeed07.jpg

More boot leather/copper as the grips;

SingleSpeed05.jpg

SingleSpeed06.jpg

Removed every unnecessary lug and frippery - including pedal end caps and reflectors;

SingleSpeed08.jpg

SingleSpeed09.jpg

SingleSpeed10.jpg

SingleSpeed11.jpg

The colour is Nato army green.

I will get the photos of the other two bikes next week..... :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

the powder that sticks with static electricity basically. If you want threads/holes left alone then you can just put a rubber bung in the hole and the powder will no go in or stick to it. The problem is that that the powder tends to build up against the edges of the metal/bung and you end up with dags. The only thing for this is to not leave edges for the powder to build up in when the bungs are fitted. Masking tape is ok too...

Ladaspeed i saw your red bike a while ago in the cycle shop in woolston. Looks so sweet, love the brake levers what are they from?

The two shiny ones above aren't mine, they are the other two bikes that were built for the competition... I don't really do shiny :(

The brakes on the orange/cream one with the funky stencilled handlebars are standard 10 speed ones with ally rod hacked into them for the lever, the mount bolts are mazda bongo rear drum adjusters or something odd like that...

• 1 month later...

So the BSA is coming along nicely, the following awesome has been achieved;

A better (tho not actually BSA, but it has fucking swans on it so eat shit) crank fitted

Matty B'd the red chain guard

Stripped and cleaned the Sturmey Archer, needs new bearings and bearing cones, should be available soon, slapped it back together anyway, still runs

Regreased/rebearinged the crank and front axle

Fitted a period Sturmey Archer cable idler wheel as it had a stink new plastic one

Fitted a proper period sprung seat, altho not a Brooks.

New chain

Swapped the front brake levers over so the rear brake is on the left - helps with sweet grass skidstops rather than front wheel slideouts with bonus facerash

Straightened the guards

Sweet as pie;

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Rode it to work the other day, got heaps of chur bro looks/look a big fat cunt on an shitty old bike lols

Also got this off TM;

007-1.jpg

3 speed dynohub - this is the beginning of my next serious build. I need a truly massive lugged frame now, giz.

• 3 weeks later...