MegaSquirt III or II with coils with "ignitor built in"

rusty260z

using megasquirt and coils with "ignitor built in"

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ign1 ... p-394.html

Car - MR2 AW11 4agze conversion to turbo.

Question - how does the coil above get its signal from MS

or do i have to use the distributor still?

Is it possible to use above coils in my car.

Seemed more simple to wire up,

after much googleing there seems to be issue getting Ignition signal with distributor for 4age / 4agze

That coil looks very similar to a GM LS* v8 truck motor coil. all the LS* motor coils have the ignitor built in and just need a output from the ecu to tell them what to do. usually you end up using the led light outputs on the megasquirt to fire them.

depending where you get your crankshaft position signal from you may or may not use the distributor just for that (not for spark at all). go and read the megasquirt 'n' spark manual and the megasquirt II manual. they look quite daunting and it's alot of information but they are quite good really.

you need the late model dizzy (smallport) or 4agze cas (both run the same24 tooth + sync setup) if you want to run wasted spark or sequential . the early 4a stuff is only good for dizzy. you'l need 2 vr inputs to use the 24tooth setup. think ms3 has 2 standard. but ms1 & ms2 requires another one built or a zeal daughter board

if it were me i would just run some mitsi or similar coils. wasted spark. will be plenty of spark for a 4agte and hell of alot cheaper

I've done a few MS2s and there will be other success stories lurking around. As kpr said you'll need a 2nd VR signal conditioning circuit if using MS2, with the NipponDenso distributor VR sensors (Ne, G1, G2 wires). If you're up to it, you can DIY or splash out and buy a 2nd VR kitset (easiest).

NipponDenso input signal documentation:

http://msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Ext ... utors.html

the 2nd VR conditioning circuit looks like this

VR_IN_V3.GIF

so, unless you can build that or the LM1815 based circuit, get a 2nd VR kitset, or the DIYPNP as that has 2nd VR signal conditioning circuit built in.

actually, the DIYPNP might be the best option. it has the same 42 pin connector as the OEM ECU.

diypnpn42-c_med.jpg

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diyp ... p-383.html

got a ms3 on its way, with ms3x. gonna be running on my 4ag. just done a ms1 on a 4age, with zeal daughter board, running stock 24 tooth setup. and wasted spark. was a bit of a dick to setup but seems to be working well. ms3 should be easyer hopefully.