Widening 3 Piece Alloy Wheels

mikuni

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got a clue as to what it would cost/ball park figure, to have a set of 4 welded 3pc rims, split and have new outters slapped on, only 1/2 wider all round?

From 1st post

The above price from Batemans is only applicable if you are having 4 shells spun, so a total of $680+gst* to have 4 shells spun to any diameter and any width, within reason. Obviously additional costs include shipping to and from Wellington if you don't live there.

That was 2 years ago so I imagine it will have gone up. Then if you are a lazy cunt add shipping fo all wheels, and labour to split and reassemble

From 1st post

The above price from Batemans is only applicable if you are having 4 shells spun, so a total of $680+gst* to have 4 shells spun to any diameter and any width, within reason. Obviously additional costs include shipping to and from Wellington if you don't live there.

That was 2 years ago so I imagine it will have gone up. Then if you are a lazy cunt add shipping fo all wheels, and labour to split and reassemble

HOE SHIT, was gonna get new outters for mine, as they have been dented/fixed/welded/filed a few times by the looks, may hold off for a bit, haha.

will be over 1k if you want your welded wheels split. & new the new shells polished. but can still work out better than buying something from yahoo. depending what you start and end with. last time i looked 8"+ rims weren't cheap in japan

/some one get some dies made up

You need a dirty big NC hydro machine to move thick metal. You can hand spin copper and like up to 1mm alloy if it's a high purity (soft as, vases, trumpets, kettles, light shades, pots etc). But wheels need to be like 5x that and aircraft grade alloy which is high tensile.

CNC_metal_spinning_machine_metal_flow_forming_machine_hot_spinning_machine.jpg

Most of them are dirty old machines that are just NC but for a hundred grand or so you can have a nice CNC one.

The 85K price on that business is basically hard assets only. The machine(s) and dies and a bit of stock.

Have done some looking into it and there is a reason it costs so much to get bands made. You need to sink in substantial cash to get anything out.