Widening 3 Piece Alloy Wheels

mikuni

done pretty average job on mine also tbh. need to find the metal spinner that does his bands, and go direct. as they were the only good bit about the job

The metal spinners wont deal direct, already tried that route.

Gaz

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well that isnt totally true,

A while ago me and a mate had a chat with them,

End story is if your willing to shell out for the Dies to make the rims, ten they can do it. However, dies are atleaste $1200 to make. and you need two.

So you will find its 41 degree who owns the dies , and has them spun to suit

Hopefully shit goes ok for other people in the future also, as i have many a wheel that needs more dish

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to dredge this up....

Have you heard back from Gavin mate? I havent had any return emails. I was out for a drive the other day and heard a ping. Two bolts had broken due to the stresses and air was evacuating fast. Pulled over in time to not stuff the brand new tire.

Good old Seedy turned around from his cruise to help a brother out.

Took the tire off today to find he had not welded them together. Now I know what his above post says regarding welding, but in his email to me he said..."Owing to the way the centres were made when the outer shells were removed, they did have to be welded back together so there is an extra charge for this on the invoice."

With my SSR's they dont have many bolts holding them together. If I had know he hadnt welded them I would never have taken the family to Masterton and Taupo without adding more bolts.

Very gutted as to how this whole thing has gone down. Yes I did get the bands replaced that he originally made wrong ( I had to pay shipping back to him) but not finishing them properly could have cost me dearly. I would have thought getting CUSTOM wheels done I would not have had these issues.

Still awaiting a reply which if he has sold the business I dont think I will get.

I will be adding double the bolts and hope that this is enough. Do you guys think I should also weld them? I dont want them to buckle and not run true but I also want them to be safe and not bloody leak. I dont think these wheels will see the track now.

Word of caution ask a lot of questions and be very clear.

Nathan

He may be on holiday still but if you like I can do a bit of a spy mission to see if he still has anything to do with the business as I know what Gavin looks like and fairly sure I know where his house is in Churton Park.

I am also seeing one of his old racing chums in about 25 minutes so I will ask him for the latest goss if he still hangs out with him.

^^ This is interesting. So he should have welded them. More money to fork out for this experiment. Plus Ill have a few hours cleaning off silicon! I wonder if it will burn off easier. Plus I will be stripping the tires off the rear(which has more dish) to make sure these are welded.

End rant/to be continued

That is very very poor form from Gavin... Surly he would know better than that but most probably just didn't give a fuck. I would be very angry.

Don't burn the silicon off, heat will do weird stuff to the alloy. Use a good solvent.

My genuine 3 piece wheels have 16 huge stainless bolts holding them together...

How did you get yours off KPR? I had to really scratch mine out in a section to see if it was welded.

And yes I am not happy at all. Mainly with I know nothing will come of it and I will have to sort it out. I figure the only reason I got my wheels fixed was I had held back half the money. All paid now though so screwed.

As you can see mine doesnt have many bolts. So what you see is all that was holding the wheels together.

aaaa.jpg

i just took the centers out and split the shells apart. then most of the sealant i peeled off with my fingers. wasnt adhered very well at all

mine have roughly twice as many bolts as those; m8's. yours should be fine if you double up on the bolts

pity as is an awesome product. but poor execution. when i pulled mine apart i found some of the holes in the centers slotted! too lazy to line up the pcd.

when i pulled mine apart i found some of the holes in the centers slotted! too lazy to line up the pcd.

2446114.jpg

I could do better with a dot punch and a hand drill!

I thought this guy was supposed to be good? Maybe one of his shitty workers did it?

Ok I will need to do some more scratching through the sealant. I got a reply from him just tonight which I really appreciate. Said that he spot welded in between each bolt to replicate bolts so as to not warp the rim.

So if I find one(and I doubt he would be making it up) I need to find which ever one has split and put load on the bolts to snap them. The I might double up my bolts and see how it goes.

Will keep in touch with his reply. He does do good work but I think it just needs to be executed better as well.

As a side note I will have to sand and polish up the fronts again as the rears you can almost see yourself but the front that had to be re done are dull and cant even make out a human face

hmm, sounds a bit shit. should ether be bolts or fully welded i would think. id be grinding the welds off. split the rims and redrill for more bolts. or get someone who knows what they are doing, to weld the whole way around properly. shouldn't need sealer if welded properly

I talked to the guy that knows Gavin well and he said this would be very unusual behaviour for him as he is GC. He can only assume it is the new owner that is a cock - would be interesting to find out the name of the person that you guys are dealing with...