Widening 3 Piece Alloy Wheels

mikuni

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends how the wheels are designed.

Some you have to completely machine off the front part of the rim, destroying it.

Which doesn't really matter if you are going to be getting new bands made.

Also for the wheels that come welded, I would advise getting them welded again once you widen them.

Those little bolts were never intended to hold the rim together!

True 2 or 3 piece wheels will have a lot more bolts holding them together.

The 13x6 A3A's I got fit over my front brakes (only 13's that ever have) so was thinking about widening them. They have a rim half either side of the center, and each half is welded to the center, so two beads of weld. If I can get my hands on the 5th one, I may have a go at machining into the weld and try split the outter half off without eating into the center, should be doable. These places that make the halfs will make up and size rim/PCD you want wont they?

Any ideas on how deep the weld would penetrate?

The 13x6 A3A's I got fit over my front brakes (only 13's that ever have) so was thinking about widening them. They have a rim half either side of the center, and each half is welded to the center, so two beads of weld. If I can get my hands on the 5th one, I may have a go at machining into the weld and try split the outter half off without eating into the center, should be doable. These places that make the halfs will make up and size rim/PCD you want wont they?

Any ideas on how deep the weld would penetrate?

Just send them to gavin and he will remove the weld when he widens them

Another alternative to rewelding that people can consider, is just putting more bolts in. Generally they use 8 to 10 bolts, so it would be easy to step this up to 16 or 20.

I strongly recommend people to talk to Gavin about the size of the centre and whether he can make outer shells to suit before buying or even seperating rims, especially if welded because you may end up with some expensive scrap alloy.

Just gave gavin a call, he quoted be fairly different prices to what Mikuni got.

- New bands: $190 a wheel

- Polishing: $35 a wheel

- Machining old bands off: ~$30 a wheel

Unsure if he just quotes different prices for different people, or the bands are different or something, but looks like it may cost considerably more than I originally expected.
Gavin Bateman came back with a quote of $135+gst* per shell. In additional to this, is the machine polishing fee of $35* per shell.

The above price from Batemans is only applicable if you are having 4 shells spun, so a total of $680+gst* to have 4 shells spun to any diameter and any width, within reason. Obviously additional costs include shipping to and from Wellington if you don't live there.

* Prices as quoted above are subject to change at any time. The prices are only what I was quoted and should be used as a guideline only.

$680 +gst = $782

$190ea x 4 = $760

Seems close enough to me (cheaper even)

Just gave gavin a call, he quoted be fairly different prices to what Mikuni got.

- New bands: $190 a wheel

- Polishing: $35 a wheel

- Machining old bands off: ~$30 a wheel

Unsure if he just quotes different prices for different people, or the bands are different or something, but looks like it may cost considerably more than I originally expected.

Asked if he can widen SSR Longchamps though, he said no worries done them before.

Did you tell him you were getting 4 done?