Air bag suspension chat

KKtrips

^ Yea theres requirements for certs but its all simple as shit to sort out, a decent controller does all that shit. Then once you've got a cert you go and drive around on the deck and risk a fine. No cops going to deal to you if your legal as shit as long as your not frame laying, which your car wont be able to do anyway

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.

So a decent controller = electronic = $$

Was thinking of keeping it all pneumatic other than relays for switched valves.

No leveling or no safety crap. But if that's necessary then it would end up way over my budget.

Maybe one day.

Alistar better do it though.

Its a sweet solution if you want mega slam and still usable, but you have to twist the rules slightly once you have cert. If you could afford to do it properly I would say go for it, as you seem to want to daily it. Plus you're not going to have a couple grand to do it in a hurry anyway right

Nah not spare. And yeah, I said to Alistar the way round everything on the cheap would be building a gay version for the cert and then re engineering it all after. Which is just as stupid.

Might have to revise in a couple of years after the motor and diff are in and I'm sick of it being so slammed all the time.

If you can bag an evo then I'm sure the Corona is a worthy candidate.

Chur

A york is a AC pump that came out in American car and some volvo's. It is unique as it has a separate oiling setup for the AC pump, most modern pumps use the gas itself as a lubricant. If you have heaps of space a york is the best option, they can be up to 7cfm ( Decent electrics pumps are around 2cfm and noisy). Other wise you can use your standard AC pump, but with no gas it now needs lubricating, so you can get a in-line oiler to install on its intake that will slowly drip oil and keep the pump alive. Then a dryer/separator to remove most of the oil, or you will have a mess. Normal AC pumps range from 3-5 CFM

Think I would rather have a little rubber mounted elec pump right by the tank for all the hassle that would be worth. Takes one thing to go wrong and you got bags full of oil etc.

Would only want that big pump if you plan on dancing your car.

Trust me I had an electric pump and they are noisy and shit. If I could have gone to AC driven, I would have. One lift of my car from full down would drop the system down to 80-90psi the pump would click in and it takes ages to get back up to 160psi with a 1.6cfm pump (Decent sized tank, but not massive). The AC pump would fill it silently and in a fraction of the time.

It only takes a few drops a day to oil the pump, and your only using a air tool oiler, abit of oil in your bags/valves is messy but is actually good for it. Biggest killer of valves is the moisture from the compressed air (that and not being used). Also tell me how a oiler dryer will fail and fill shit with oil? the oiler only holds a couple hundred ml,

I would still have an electric back up I think

You can get lubricant that is rubber safe so its not a problem (silicone based), normally the pump is only lubricated by the refrigerant it will literally only need a drop or two a day. A decent dryer will capture 99% of this so I don't see it as a problem

^ yuh. it's definitely needed. just didn't want jokers reading the statement of oil being good for bags and shit and getting the wrong idea :)

I was going to run the a/c pump of my paj as onoard air, but the a/c still works. Is it weird that this disappoints me? lol.

some 4x4 guys do the most bodge as oiler and drier dealios and they work for years. one 4x4 forum thread i saw, this guy uses his to run an impact gun to change wheels etc, and pumps up his whole 4wd club's tyres after an excursion and has been doing so for a year or two and he just gives it a squirt of air tool oil down the intake now and then. no permanent oiler system etc. so it shows that they'll hold tegether nicely if it's a good condition pump with a good oiler/drier system.

I'm not sure why some jokers on here are concerned about the plumbing and electrical side of things.

using nylon air brake hose and pushlock fittings makes plumbing the air side up realllly easy. fittings are available from a myriad of places. more joins doesn't mean more leaks. just need to do it properly.

try and get shit with imperial/'bsp' or 'npt' sizing. metric fittings are harder to get and more expensive. (this being thread sizing. metric hose/pipe is easy in pushlock or olive/ferrule style).

for certing (especially if your car's auto) you can get around the 'unable to roll when moving' thing by using gearbox inhibitor switch and parkbrake with a changeover/overide switch for 'non wof' times.

this kind of thing is only limited by your imagination, and plumbing up air shit is so much fun.

also the bridgestone/firestone guy hasn't rung my back

rage

Seeing as i am seriously thinking about bagging my golf i have some questions for those that know more than i.

-What sensors/inputs does an electronic controller use to ascertain height? Is it an electronic version of the mechanical limit switch posted earlier? I originally thought that it would just be little pressure switches but it can't be as the pressure in the bags is related to load on them yea? theoretically the pressure at 'just off of the pavement height', and 'almost all the way up height' should be the same only the volume of air in the bags changes? Or have i got it all ass about face?

-On the topic of AC compressors, has anyone ever devised a no loss system? Then you could run any number of differing gasses that may or may not have other benefits over just air?

As i said, i don't know much about pneumatics, but i'm seriously thinking it is the best way to get the golf as low as i want it without making it impossible to drive on NZ roads. (low sump FTL)

Cheers, Dan

Oh sheet, didn't notice this had been moved. Yay bags!

The century boot is pretty lame spec anyway, and it's not a shopping hauler so ken to do a decent enclosed install in the boot. I think with the amount of shit in between the boot and the rear seats + being in an insulated (albeit ventilated) box would cut compressor noise down somewhat.

VIAIR make some sweet dual compressors such as this http://grantkustoms.com/catalog/product ... 647b3e879f which would hopefully cut down fill time/amount of time compressors need to be on.

Can someone link me some stz on the digital controller setups. Am I right in thinking this will have a controller/display unit that adjusts the air bags, and ecu that takes feed from the controller and goes to your 8 valves? Would this then allow you to set things like max low, max high and cruising height?

Would something like the first controller on this page do the above http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/ ... aircommand Any cheaper options?

Lub Bags.

-What sensors/inputs does an electronic controller use to ascertain height?

I too want to know this, cause I see some setups dont have the height sensors for each corner (are like a rod/arm setup you install) and some do?

Would a cheaper controller just run off the psi in each bag to determine settings rather than height?