Air bag suspension chat

KKtrips

I failed at splitting this out of spam completely but this topic is here for general questions about air bag suspension

Don't worry Alistair - I have contacts in the USA and I know of containers coming over on a semi regular basis (monthly it not moreso)

The retail cost of bags is my sticking point.. I need 2 of each of these...

dsc04435zh7.jpg

Cam can you please check if part #70-2000 is valid and available from Firestone??

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alistair will never fit a york on his engine, being a v8 an the ancillaries are tucked up under the cylinder banks/heads a york is massive. Electric will do just buy more expensive ones that are quiet and mount them on some rubber, and in an enclosure (make sure its ventilated they get hot)

KK if you shop around you should be able to get a set of bags like your after for easy under $600 which is pretty good. make sure they have internal bump stops etc to save hassle mounting bumps later

Don't worry Alistair - I have contacts in the USA and I know of containers coming over on a semi regular basis (monthly it not moreso)

dsc04435zh7.jpg

Cam can you please check if part #70-2000 is valid and available from Firestone??

Is that one on the left able to wrap around a macpherson strut?

I looked for a while trying to find just a set of bags, two like the left, two like the right for the corona.

All the shops were like nah just bring the car to us, and pay 7k. So kind of lost interest.

If I knew you could buy them like that I probably would have bagged it. So much more practical.

/its cheating

• Like 1

dsc04435zh7.jpg

Was going to ask, what's the go with converting macpherson to bag setup? I see there are whole strut swaps avaliable pre made or can buy sleeved weld on universal stz or are there easier options?

I know the corner that the dude in the s15 spun on / killed that kid. I'd be surprised if he was intentionally doing it. It was a shit rainy day and is not really a corner you'd manji for the sake of it.

TV news article pissed me off, talking about mods to the car etc. A stock s15 turbo would have done the same thing, in fact probably harder to control sideways.

That's why I don't jump to conclusions and flame people over the internet.

Unless you were a witness you can't be sure enough to react like some people do.

Especially from the media info...

dsc04435zh7.jpg

Was going to ask, what's the go with converting macpherson to bag setup? I see there are whole strut swaps avaliable pre made or can buy sleeved weld on universal stz or are there easier options?

DIY would be so much better I reckon.

The pre made ones will still need some sort of engineering to get to work anyway? Especially for your car.

If you get someone to make the sleves and perches up for the bag they can get it in the right place the first time and save you shittonne.

Century setup almost sounds easier/like they made it that way for the ones factory fitted with bags? It will mean the bag will stay stationary and not turn with the strut, which is only a good thing in my mind.

Alistair, think along the lines of what people are doing to convert to custom coilovers on mcpherson strut, only replace coilover with bag setup. Very, very simple.

I'm almost wondering whether it would be worth doing a bag setup with no compressor etc and just filling a large tank with a normal 240V compressor or running dive tanks and just changing every few months?

Whats the go with the controllers? Can you get a very simple controller, solinoid and valve set that just does on bumps and cruise heights on all 4 corners? Probably wouldn't be too hard to just set it up on a single switch with a power relay I guess.

DIY would be so much better I reckon.

The pre made ones will still need some sort of engineering to get to work anyway? Especially for your car.

If you get someone to make the sleves and perches up for the bag they can get it in the right place the first time and save you shittonne.

Like this

dsc04617xi7.jpg

p1010539.jpg

I have read articles about cars with bags that say the performance is much better than springs.. you go round corners flatter and the car feels much more supple on the road.. Best of all worlds until you get to race spec vehicles where stiffness is important..

And obviously you need shocks - thats a given...