Air bag suspension chat

KKtrips

Thanks chaps. Air assist will be about $2k (including freight and installation) but it's convenient as the truck will only be off the road for a day.

New custom made springs are probably a similar value, but high risk if they don't fit.

No one does CoF inspections on the Island so all we can get are WoFs. We have an exemption for passenger vehicles that would otherwise need CoFs..... but one day I may bring the truck back to the mainland as its actually a bloody good wagon.

I will have a think. Re-setting the original springs might be the best plan.... but that's weeks without a truck and probably ~$1k in freight 

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thinking quattro.

I tried to get used springs a few months ago but couldn't find any.  The wreckers were quoting $250 per spring so it's not a significant saving and there's still the risk that what I bought and got re curved wouldn't fit once they arrive here on Chatham Island.

They would work mate. I could probably get those made pretty easily. 

Everything on this Dyna is about 30%bigger than Landcruiser. It's a ute sized vehicle with a truck chassis and suspension. Unsprung weights are huge. I can barely lift a wheel.... and there's six of the bastards.

Part of the hideous ride will be because truck.... but add passengers in the cab and it's noticeably worse 

I am lucky in that I carry a fixed weight in the rear. I estimate 350kg of tools (plus the alloy box body) sits on the rear chassis 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2020 at 11:03, Unclejake said:

Everything on this Dyna is about 30%bigger than Landcruiser. It's a ute sized vehicle with a truck chassis and suspension. Unsprung weights are huge. I can barely lift a wheel.... and there's six of the bastards.

heres some 2" cobra land cruiser 70 series lift springs next to my 95 2wd dyna, they look like they would fit but you would need to use the bottom two fat dyna leafs.

another hori way would be to mount some coil springs in between your diff and bumpstops ftw. cruiser shackle extenders would be simple to fit too. sorry for non airbag chat. also keen for an island mish one day

IMG_5806.jpg

IMG_5805.jpg

IMG_5804.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

• Thanks 1

@MaxPower, that was an incredibly generous thing for you to have done. Thank you.

There's heaps of landcruiser springs around here, but I glanced at a couple and decided they wouldn't fit. I will have a better look in the weekend. perhaps I was mistaken.

My 4x4 Dyna front springs are 1,160mm long, 72mm wide, with 2 x 9mm (at centre) parabolic leaves and an eye bolt i/d of 23mm

Rear springs are a bit of unknown

The bag controls in my truck allow you to take the piss with drawbar weight right up until the safety Override drains them and won’t pump them back up and you have to drag 200 tons of scoria home with the jockey wheel mount grinding along the road / get stuck on the dump weighbridge transition. 

but the temptation to make it in one trip is very strong 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 22/09/2020 at 21:58, sentra said:

The bag controls in my truck allow you to take the piss with drawbar weight right up until the safety Override drains them and won’t pump them back up and you have to drag 200 tons of scoria home with the jockey wheel mount grinding along the road / get stuck on the dump weighbridge transition. 

but the temptation to make it in one trip is very strong 

Ancient chinese proverb

"A real man always does it in one load"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, Esky_addict said:

Sweet sounds like what I'm after, do you remember where it came from or was it just like rolled up bundy tube brake line type stuff?

yep just 3/8 bundy tube type stuff we straightened out and bent to suit.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Digging this up looking for a bag for bc coilover conversion for front . I've already spent the coin on crack testing and inserts etc so it makes sense to retain it all and swap spring for bag. 

@cletuswhen you say most of the items from China end up going in the bin is it the quality or is there a vital component they are missing? 

I've read the recommendations on who to talk to in nz but I like to research as much as possible before bombarding someone with questions over the phone. 

Ali express has this ae86 kit which would be similar to what I need. Pretty sure my car has same ID rear springs as well. 

Screenshot_20220212-155620_Chrome.thumb.jpg.50f794ee733ccca991255dbad5923b34.jpg

I would like to slowly buy reputable components to undertake this myself. 

I haven't certed any air bagged vehicles with aliexpress bits for ages so I dunno what the valves are like

But the bags in that pic have issues, 

They only have a pressure rating of 110psi from memory. The smaller the bag, the more pressure you need to get it up.

The small bags that are sold to fit bc coilovers are a fuckup how they are designed, they don't have enough internal clearance and they destroy themselves from the inside on the body of the shock. Also the threaded bit is designed wrong so the bag bottoms out solid before the bump stop limits the travel . Unless you fit a huge bumpstop, and have not much travel. 

I'll get a pic, I've got one cut in half  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1