If cam tooth is out by 1 tooth,what is the result?Run'nrough

efp0wa

Not that it is, but if so?

This engine (4g63 sohc carb) isn't running overly smooth; seems like it is misfiring (as though it has a lumpy cam), takes about 4 minutes before I can let the throttle go so it can idle by itself and then when it does it's at about 1100rpm and jumps around a wee bit.

It's a bitch to start too, as discussed it has no choke but it shouldnt be this bad.

Has good compression compression. I'm wary of the dizzy and coil, I may change the dizzy back to the previous one and see how it goes then.

It doesn't have to be even 1 tooth out to run bad, get a timing light on that puppy.

When I had issues after putting a replacement sohc 4g63 in my l300 it was a combination of timing, idle set too low, and not enough/too much fuel.

Start with the timing though, its either right or wrong, then mess around with fuel/idle till you are happy.

Does it run worse/better if you rotate the dizzy?

pop top cambelt cover off

make sure timing marks are lined up. if they're not, it doesn't matter where your dizzy's firing, that's got little to do with it.

one tooth out can be a cunt for most cars. with a modified cam in there it'll perhaps be a million times worse.

They are lined up, checked that yesterday. i just keep having this bad feeling they arn't.

Oh and it doesnt have a modified cam, i said "as though it have a lumpy cam" :colors:

Ok, rebuilt but not really rebuilt.

New spark plugs. New leads.

Electronic dizzy

Auto choke removed

Tappets not set yet

Used old rings and bearings as they were within spec so didn't see anypoint in replacing; so no real need to run it in.

Fuel would be 11 months old.

Ok, rebuilt but not really rebuilt.

New spark plugs. New leads.

Electronic dizzy

Auto choke removed

Tappets not set yet

Used old rings and bearings as they were within spec so didn't see anypoint in replacing; so no real need to run it in.

Fuel would be 11 months old.

So by rebuilt you mean that you cleaned out the sump and chucked a new head gasket under a rebuilt head?

I would do this

- Set the tappets and get it running and up to temperature

- Set the timing at 8degrees with a timing light.

- Set the idle once the car is hot at 750rpm..

- Age of the fuel may be a problem but I doubt replacing it will fix your symptoms

You will find it hard to start without a choke - either hook up choke or deal with hard starting - no choice..

Keep the basics in mind..

I have to be honest - it sounds like you have not had a lot of experience with doing this kind of thing before - I applaud the fact that you are giving it a go but I would get yourself a Haynes manual or similar and use it to guide you..