compound charging/twin charging

d.p.n.s

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Free up a few HP worth of parasitic loss by doing so though?

Hmmm when the main selling point of a boxer engine is the low COG, strapping all this extra stuff on top of it seems to mitigate that benefit a bit.

And sweet jebus I can not think of a more horrifying clusterfuck of pipes and misery than trying to troubleshoot a problem with a twin charged boxer setup.

I think I'd rather just antilag it and deal with the turbo replacement intervals haha.

Why not? dump all that "clusterfuck" and make it real simple engine ,superchager,turbo ecu .all these pipes, valves  and shit is for a factory road car. i see your point just antilag and be done with it.

But what i really wanted to know was with all this talk on pro's , con's and  who's has what  car doing whatever ! Was to put it in a real world concept

I have said engine. 

Want to do this to it.

this much boost.

for very little money

i know little money is different for some and for this idea said $2500 and fab all that need yourself

I covered the pluses up the top of the page but obviously Roman was too lazy to read anything before posting.  Basically anti lag isn't going to trick your turbo into thinking your engine is twice as big no matter how aggressive it is, not to mention you miss out on port scavenging, and det resistance.

the downside is that you will have more heat, but as lancia did, you can manage this without too much issue, especially on a boxer that has pretty crappy packaging anyway.

Here is an example of a dude on PF that did a rb30

http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67263967-Proper-pics-of-my-twincharged-engine

It goes pretty good.

• Like 2

Gt35 is too small unless its a 1600 dave motor

75mm comp wheel golden bullets for everything.

Problem is you need a massive exhaust wheel and a smallish compressor wheel, or at least something that has a low boost threshold, seeings as the turbo will only make ~5-8 psi out of effectively a 4.0L motor.

The reason I said gt35 is that they are cheap off coons, and budget seems to be a factor here. But I suppose that a china turbo would also fit into that catergory too.

I covered the pluses up the top of the page but obviously Roman was too lazy to read anything before posting.  Basically anti lag isn't going to trick your turbo into thinking your engine is twice as big no matter how aggressive it is, not to mention you miss out on port scavenging, and det resistance.

No, the point is, where exactly are you planning to fit an extra intercooler (or two new ones at the front) and a big enough supercharger to supply the max rpm boost target?

Gregs-STi-9.jpg

We dont know what car it's going in, but it's probably fair to assume it's same sized engine bay or smaller.

Imagine if you're at a race day and you get a boost leak on a pipe that you have to pull half the motor out to get to... No thanks.

I would say that generally the idea of switching between the two is that you can downsize your SC a lot, and actually fit it somewhere. As it's only expected/required to supply low rpm airflow.

Dont get me wrong I loooovvvveeee gimmicks and twin charging has max cool points.

The problem with twin charging isnt it's technical merits, but just fitting it all somewhere.

A boxer motor makes a hard job (and ongoing repairs/maintenance/etc) a lot harder.

No, the point is, where exactly are you planning to fit an extra intercooler (or two new ones at the front) and a big enough supercharger to supply the max rpm boost target?

Gregs-STi-9.jpg

We dont know what car it's going in, but it's probably fair to assume it's same sized engine bay or smaller.

Imagine if you're at a race day and you get a boost leak on a pipe that you have to pull half the motor out to get to... No thanks.

I would say that generally the idea of switching between the two is that you can downsize your SC a lot, and actually fit it somewhere. As it's only expected/required to supply low rpm airflow.

Dont get me wrong I loooovvvveeee gimmicks and twin charging has max cool points.

The problem with twin charging isnt it's technical merits, but just fitting it all somewhere.

A boxer motor makes a hard job (and ongoing repairs/maintenance/etc) a lot harder.

There is room if you keep turbo in the same place as on WRX and use an sc manifold like this and move alternator

11063848_1087327901282107_27247073056854

btw whats moo superchager?

• Like 1

Ebay supercharger from a ford thunderbird or some buicks and some other things Eaton M62 or Eaton M90 preferably.  the newer the better. the newer ones have twisted lobes and teflon coatings and things/they got better and better/more efficient capable of higher boosts as the years went on.

or if you are silly a m112 or m122 off a cobra

• Like 1