L28e issues

thegreatestben

Work colleague has bought zedhed's fairlady thingo. Has a few issues. Afm appears to be from an L20. Would it be suitable to continue using this? I cant get the idle below 1500 rpm either. Where's the best place for tech info on these motors? Runs like a bag of shit. Used nearly 300 bucks in gas driving home and doesnt go up hills even in 1st. I think the vacuum advance diaphragm is stuffed

Use your training and check the basics Ben.

Do a compression check, make sure spark is adequate, (points gap, plugs aren't fouled etc) timed appropriately start with 5-10 degrees static is a good base..

The fuel system should be sweet - I believe the L20 injection works fine on any L series 6 cyl motor as its just a sliding vane/swinging gate style AFM and will just add fuel to the amount of air the engine consumes..

Lastly check for vacuum leaks - which sounds the most likely but sometimes not so easy to find..

Plenty other things to look at like fuel pressure/flow etc.. Start with the basics and work your way out to the more complicated stuff..

What tech info are you after? I have some books.

Yeah the L20e stuff is really the same as the L28e - the only difference being injector size.

So should run it sweet...However, these systems are 30+years old so yeah. Not suprising it has issues. My L20e does strange shit and seems to overfuel. Tried playing with it but nothing has really helped.

If you want to get it running right its probably a case of replacing all vac lines and cleaning all electrical connections. I would see how it goes after that and go from there. I have a L28e injection faults manual if needed.

Choice, as much as I'd like to be getting into the engine bay and having a look my free time is limited so I appreciate any suggestions as the more I know the more helpful I can be. It's a pretty sweet car, looks good going up and down the road. Just needs more savage l28e potential. Otherwise I'll convince him to get an RB ow

Have a look here:

http://www.xenonz31.com/s130/reference.html

There is a fuel injection manual there which covers the EFI stuff only.

The L20 AFM plugs in but may not be set correctly for an L28, they are pretty easy to adjust though.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/afm/index.html

If it's running extremely rich it's probably the AFM or the engine temp sensor, but as suggested above do the basics first.

• 1 year later...
Work colleague has bought zedhed's fairlady thingo. Has a few issues. Afm appears to be from an L20. Would it be suitable to continue using this? I cant get the idle below 1500 rpm either. Where's the best place for tech info on these motors? Runs like a bag of shit. Used nearly 300 bucks in gas driving home and doesnt go up hills even in 1st. I think the vacuum advance diaphragm is stuffed

maybe to old of a topic

but what happened to this fairlday, is it still on the road

any current pictures.

ta.